Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

MarkR wrote: »
    My son coughed in school today, got sent home. Can't go back into school until he's been cleared. Going to be a long winter...

Our local school has been similar, sending people home left right and centre if they barely cough or sneeze since they reopened. Can't see them staying opened if level 5 comes into affect, one principal was saying there was talk of strike action when the previous discussion of level 5 was being discussed two weeks ago and plans to keep schools open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

MarkR wrote:
    My son coughed in school today, got sent home. Can't go back into school until he's been cleared. Going to be a long winter...

Had the same two times already going to be a right dose

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How can you get a test anyway without displaying symptoms as you need to be referred by a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

MarkR wrote: »

Now there's a system that you can be sure won't be exploited by Kids ;)

So we can't have household visitors inside or in the garden, kids won't be trick or treating but prepay power can go door to door selling madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

It used to be acceptable to send the kids to school, or for us to go to work, with mild chest infections, coughs sneezes and runny noses. No more of that, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

kilburn wrote: »
    So we can't have household visitors inside or in the garden, kids won't be trick or treating but prepay power can go door to door selling madness[/QUOTE

and lads can still play matches and have boozy celebrations afterwards outside pubs doing takeways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

HSE letter for my sons primary school today too. Class sent home but rest of school allowed in. It wasn’t his class but weren’t told what class it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cordell wrote: »
    It used to be acceptable to send the kids to school, or for us to go to work, with mild chest infections, coughs sneezes and runny noses. No more of that, and rightly so.

The way people were pressured to go to work over the years while sick is a joke. I used work in a pub full of old people and although it was never said out loud youde get the sack if you phoned in sick with a cold or mild flu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the lockdown has proven people shouldn't go to work with a slight cold or small cough, etc. I used to get maybe 6 chest infections a year, along with multiple doses of sniffles and general cold like symptoms. Since March, where I've been working from home, I haven't been sick once. Strange coincidence... My brother, who has asthma, wasn't sick for the initial lock down. He's now on a week in/week out system (call centre) and has gotten sick a couple of times since. Problem is, employers need a more robust sick system, one that cant be abused but is also effective at preventing people coming into work sick.

Parents took a chance and went shopping today, said it was like Christmas week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Parents took a chance and went shopping today, said it was like Christmas week.

Traffic around today was absurd. Working in UHL at the moment and on my lunch said I'd head away and get diesel because working 5am to 8.45pm I'll be too tired when I finish up. Took 35 mins to get from UHL to Maxol, get diesel and get back. Should have had a snooze instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Miike wrote: »
    Traffic around today was absurd. Working in UHL at the moment and on my lunch said I'd head away and get diesel because working 5am to 8.45pm I'll be too tired when I finish up. Took 35 mins to get from UHL to Maxol, get diesel and get back. Should have had a snooze instead :pac:

I'm sorry but are people really that thick? Lockdown is coming as the numbers are soaring and their first instinct is to pack into the Crescent for their Christmas shopping?

It won't be a nice Christmas if you are bed bound with Pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Traffic will be much worse today in Limerick with today being like Christmas eve to many. Many items can be bought online so need for a panic.

I feel really sorry for retailers, especially small mom and pops type businesses who may not be able to survive 6 weeks without being able to sell, if they're not online. People have said that "sur you can shop from the 2nd December onwards". That in itself is only hopeful because you just don't know whether this will be extended and even if it is reduced in levels within 6 weeks.

Berty wrote: »
    Traffic will be much worse today in Limerick with today being like Christmas eve to many. Many items can be bought online so need for a panic.

I feel really sorry for retailers, especially small mom and pops type businesses who may not be able to survive 6 weeks without being able to sell, if they're not online. People have said that "sur you can shop from the 2nd December onwards". That in itself is only hopeful because you just don't know whether this will be extended and even if it is reduced in levels within 6 weeks.

I feel sorry for retail staff being exposed to herds of morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

Crescent opening late today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

adaminho wrote: »
    Crescent opening late today and tomorrow.

Expect talk of a Crescent cluster next week so ffs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cartman78 wrote: »
    There have been no clusters from retail, even when people weren't wearing masks. Just like there was no cluster when there were queues outside Penneys, despite the doom mongerers warnings.

Despite headlines, the numbers with the virus are still miniscule and the main source of clusters is your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There have been no clusters from retail, even when people weren't wearing masks. Just like there was no cluster when there were queues outside Penneys, despite the doom mongerers warnings.

Despite headlines, the numbers with the virus are still miniscule and the main source of clusters is your own home.

I agree that retail hasn't been a significant factor to date but hoards of morons heading to the Crescent en masse to save Christmas or whatever could be problematic

There have been no clusters from retail,.
    It's called community transmission.

It's called community transmission.

The odds of catching Covid while shopping and wearing a mask are miniscule. And even with the coming lockdown, DIY shops, petshops, bike shops, any shop selling household goods or even newspapers can remain open this time round. Expect to see half the Crescent still open come Thursday.

Tens of thousands of kids mingling everyday and bringing the virus into their homes is a much bigger issue than shopping, when it comes to community transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The odds of catching Covid while shopping and wearing a mask are miniscule. And even with the coming lockdown, DIY shops, petshops, bike shops, any shop selling household goods or even newspapers can remain open this time round. Expect to see half the Crescent still open come Thursday.

Tens of thousands of kids mingling everyday and bringing the virus into their homes is a much bigger issue than shopping, when it comes to community transmission.

Do you want to back that up with some evidence?

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Do you want to back that up with some evidence?
    Do you have evidence to the contrary? We were moving along nicely until the schools reopened and then within weeks cases were on the rise again. I've seen large groups of kids and teenagers mingling outside schools without masks or social distancing.

The government say that they schools are only responsible to 2% of the cases. Yet the reason they shut the bars and restaurants in Dublin under level three was that small numbers of people picking up the virus in said pubs and restaurants were bringing it home and spreading it.

If it happened with socially distanced pubs and restaurants, its definitely happening from non socially distanced non mask wearing school kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Miike wrote: »

Maxol is right next door to UHL if there was no traffic getting in and out of the car would be longer than the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It will be labelled a 'Superspreader Event' in a headline grabbing story in De Leader. They will tell us how 1 infected shopper wearing a visor instead of a mask unknowingly infected 956 others who were all doing the correct thing by social distancing, masking up and washing their hands....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Do you have evidence to the contrary? We were moving along nicely until the schools reopened and then within weeks cases were on the rise again. I've seen large groups of kids and teenagers mingling outside schools without masks or social distancing.

The government say that they schools are only responsible to 2% of the cases. Yet the reason they shut the bars and restaurants in Dublin under level three was that small numbers of people picking up the virus in said pubs and restaurants were bringing it home and spreading it.

If it happened with socially distanced pubs and restaurants, its definitely happening from non socially distanced non mask wearing school kids.
    I'm not blaming any one group without evidence great to have an opinion but its pretty useless without anything to support it!

Jesus people really change their spots and opinion quite quickly on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

The virus isn't magically created in the classroom, kids are bringing it in from home.

If parents would cop on and stop having each other around for tea, gossiping in groups at school gates, going to dinner parties, the cases in schools will likely drop.

Lads, the numbers of cases in schools is tiny. Less than 2% of all cases. Barely worth talking about. Or that would be the case had NPHET not closed pubs and restaurants in Dublin under level 3 saying that while there were no clusters found in these controlled places, the odd person was still contact the virus, bringing it home and spreading it and that was the cause of the case increase.

If you follow that logically then the tiny amount of cases in schools has to have led to far more cases in homes, seeing as there are tens of thousand of school kids packed into overcrowded schools. And if you pass a school at the end of the day you won't see social distancing or masks.

I don't think there's a major problem in schools, but following NPHETs logic, it must still be a large contributory factor in the large rise in cases.

Lads, the numbers of cases in schools is tiny. Less than 2% of all cases. Barely worth talking about. Or that would be the case had NPHET not closed pubs and restaurants in Dublin under level 3 saying that while there were no clusters found in these controlled places, the odd person was still contact the virus, bringing it home and spreading it and that was the cause of the case increase.

Released numbers from NPHET but media are now starting to question this as now are the teacher unions.

Plenty of journalists now querying what's being reported and what is in the public domain. Fergal Bowers wrote an article on it and Mary Lou apparently raised.

Government has made the main policy keeping schools open which they seem unwilling to move on.

Looks like the teachers are going to call their bluff though.

No I am not saying to close the schools either.

Lots of schools in Limerick now have multiple cases and some even clusters.

The Welsh approach seems most appropriate and well thought out. Primary & 1st/2nd years in class rest remote learning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hardly want to ask the question in case I get accused of causing a panic but is there much craziness going on in grocery shops at the moment given the recent news?

Looking to do the regular (now bi-weekly) big shop, probably in Lidl Castletroy and don't want to be dealing with crowds of people panic buying for no good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement