Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The usual will panic buy but most remember the last lockdown. Shopping, including queueing, became a more organised and easier task.

Now as for the likes of Tesco Coonagh queuing outside might be annoying given the current weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Case in my kids primary school now too. Received HSE letter via email. Not their class so they continue going in. Just that class to remain out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah hopefully people will remember. I say the likes of Smyth's is going to be like the end of days even though they will still be doing online deliveries and plenty of other options out there like Amazon.

Bit off topic but for those on Android Google Keep is very handy for creating shopping lists. Lists can be shared and edited, ticked off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

Yeah hopefully people will remember. I say the likes of Smyth's is going to be like the end of days even though they will still be doing online deliveries and plenty of other options out there like Amazon.

Bit off topic but for those on Android Google Keep is very handy for creating shopping lists. Lists can be shared and edited, ticked off etc.
    I use out of milk, let's you share the list as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I hardly want to ask the question in case I get accused of causing a panic but is there much craziness going on in grocery shops at the moment given the recent news?

Looking to do the regular (now bi-weekly) big shop, probably in Lidl Castletroy and don't want to be dealing with crowds of people panic buying for no good reason.

I wasn't in Dunnes, but I was at Childers Road a half hour ago and it's quiet enough. If it's quiet there then I'd imagine everywhere else will be too. I think most people now realise there's no need to panic buy groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I hardly want to ask the question in case I get accused of causing a panic but is there much craziness going on in grocery shops at the moment given the recent news?

Looking to do the regular (now bi-weekly) big shop, probably in Lidl Castletroy and don't want to be dealing with crowds of people panic buying for no good reason.

I popped into Dunnes Jetland around 4pm when picking up kids. Really really quiet in there. Twas great, didn't even have to queue at tills.

Went to Lidl Castletroy this evening, was grand. Standard levels of busy, maybe even a bit less than normal. Shop done for another week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Will the likes of B&Q Woodies, Dairygold etc remain open over the next few weeks.?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

washman3 wrote: »
    Will the likes of B&Q Woodies, Dairygold etc remain open over the next few weeks.?

Woodies say they're classed as an Essential retailer, they sell dog food and electrical goods anyway, so they will be open. It's on their website.

If you travel to a Woodies and it's over 5kms from your home and a Garda tells you that you're not allowed shop there because it's too far then that is where the rules get a little unclear/muddy.

Shall I go to Woodies, 5.8kms from my house, to buy a picture frame for €10 and get an "up to" €500 fine from the Gardai. Unclear

Garden centres cannot open so you might wonder if Woodies and the others have to close theirs? Unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Berty wrote: »
    Woodies say they're classed as an Essential retailer, they sell dog food and electrical goods anyway, so they will be open. It's on their website.

If you travel to a Woodies and it's over 5kms from your home and a Garda tells you that you're not allowed shop there because it's too far then that is where the rules get a little unclear/muddy.

Shall I go to Woodies, 5.8kms from my house, to buy a picture frame for €10 and get an "up to" €500 fine from the Gardai. Unclear

Garden centres cannot open so you might wonder if Woodies and the others have to close theirs? Unlikely

The 5km limit is for exercise only. No other reason. You can go wherever you want for shopping. Edit: not entirely true, see my later post.

Hardware stores are allowed to open also which is why Woodies are allowed to open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I popped into Dunnes Jetland around 4pm when picking up kids. Really really quiet in there. Twas great, didn't even have to queue at tills.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ffs the sheep are out in there droves queues at Jysk and Currys

Car park pretty full.

Great time for the hover to break

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

kilburn wrote: »

Car park pretty full.

Making sure we get that final spike in deaths in time for Christmas?

If only it just affected them. Then I'd be happy for Darwin to take care it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The 5km limit is for exercise only. No other reason. You can go wherever you want for shopping.

Hardware stores are allowed to open also which is why Woodies are allowed to open.

You can't just go wherever you want to shop you need to have a valid reason for the Gards if your stopped. If your caught out in Castletroy don't tell em you were just going to Dunnes if you live next to Jetland

tony1980 wrote: »
    Case in my kids primary school now too. Received HSE letter via email. Not their class so they continue going in. Just that class to remain out

I'd be exercising my constitutional right and schooling them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You can't just go wherever you want to shop you need to have a valid reason for the Gards if your stopped. If your caught out in Castletroy don't tell em you were just going to Dunnes if you live next to Jetland

You can go wherever you like to shop.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#domestic-travel-restrictions
    Domestic travel restrictions
    Stay at home.

Exercise within 5 kilometres of home.

There will be a penalty for movement outside 5 kilometres of home, with the following exceptions:

travel to and from work, where work involves providing an essential service
    to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
    travel to attend disability day services
    for food shopping
    to take school aged children to permitted training as provided for in the Exercise and Sporting section above
    for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone but excluding social family visits
    for farming purposes, that is food production or care of animals
    to attend a wedding or funeral
    to visit a grave

I'd rather not have to get into an argument with a garda and have to appeal a fine in court.

Anyway, follow the spirit of the law not just the law. Come on people!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It is a bit vague about shopping all right. I suppose the gardai have fairly broad powers, so even though it may not specifically say, "You can't drive 20 miles to go to your preferred shop, use the local one", then they can still send you packing.

kilburn wrote: »

Car park pretty full.

That's pretty normal with those two stores and Smyths. They place is a nightmare to get into when you just want to go to Homebase.

Grand off you go up to Dublin so for your food shop and see what happens

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    It is a bit vague about shopping all right. I suppose the gardai have fairly broad powers, so even though it may not specifically say, "You can't drive 20 miles to go to your preferred shop, use the local one", then they can still send you packing.
    During the last lockdown my brother who lives around 15km from the city was stopped half way to the city. He told the Guard that he was going to Dunnes (which was the truth) and there was no issue. They're only really looking for people taking the piss.

Yeah, a bit of common sense will be applied. Just checked there and a strict 5km radius for me gives me the grand total of one shop that sells food - a crappy Spar that is part part of a petrol station. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Grand off you go up to Dublin so for your food shop and see what happens

There is a happy medium and I can't see the Gardai being as strict about it as you. I generally do my weekly shopping in SuperValu Castletroy, I pass Dunnes at the Parkway, I didn't have an issue in a much stricter lockdown at the beginning of the pandemic and I doubt I'll have one this time.

Is there a local Covid Helpline number a person can call if they've got a genuine query re travel,shopping,services. Would be very helpful.
    The Government list can be a bit vague and can have different interpretations.

washman3 wrote: »
    Is there a local Covid Helpline number a person can call if they've got a genuine query re travel,shopping,services. Would be very helpful.
    The Government list can be a bit vague and can have different interpretations.

I hope they can help clarify what loopholes to exploit.

Just stay at home, avoid people, shop local or online.

phog wrote: »
    There is a happy medium and I can't see the Gardai being as strict about it as you. I generally do my weekly shopping in SuperValu Castletroy, I pass Dunnes at the Parkway, I didn't have an issue in a much stricter lockdown at the beginning of the pandemic and I doubt I'll have one this time.

Look at the post I was replying to shop anywhere he said. I agree there's a happy medium but if you have a SuperValu within your 5km and you travel outside that for no other reason than to go to a different SuperValu then you are opening yourself up to problems

During the last lockdown my brother who lives around 15km from the city was stopped half way to the city. He told the Guard that he was going to Dunnes (which was the truth) and there was no issue. They're only really looking for people taking the piss.

My father has to do the same. He has to break his 5km to get to any supermarkets and that what the rules mean by "for shopping" not go wherever you like

True, but there is a certain cohort op people out there that will simply not adhere to any rules. Most of these don't even watch the News or read a newspaper. If a level 25 was introduced life would continue as they see 'normal'.
    I'm asking that if 'ordinary decent people' have a query is there somewhere they can get an answer. For example if they have a leaking roof tile, a burst pipe or a broken cooker, can they get somebody to repair it.
    Many people are unsure of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Look at the post I was replying to shop anywhere he said. I agree there's a happy medium but if you have a SuperValu within your 5km and you travel outside that for no other reason than to go to a different SuperValu then you are opening yourself up to problems

I'm not so sure that you are, there's a SuperValu in Corbally but it wouldn't carry as much merchadise as they do in Castletroy, why wouldn't a person from Corbally be allowed to do their shopping in Castletroy.

No one should be forced into doing their grocery shopping within a 5km radius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

Maybe they're a business trying to see if he can open! There's no need to be a d*ck about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement