Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

washman3 wrote: »
    True, but there is a certain cohort op people out there that will simply not adhere to any rules. Most of these don't even watch the News or read a newspaper. If a level 25 was introduced life would continue as they see 'normal'.
    I'm asking that if 'ordinary decent people' have a query is there somewhere they can get an answer. For example if they have a leaking roof tile, a burst pipe or a broken cooker, can they get somebody to repair it.
    Many people are unsure of this.

The government should advertise the restrictions on facebook or bebo or whatever platform the uninformed currently use.

adaminho wrote: »
    Maybe they're a business trying to see if he can open! There's no need to be a d*ck about it!

Didn't mean to come across as a dick. There are plenty of reasons to want clarification but people should certainly not be exploiting loopholes in regulation for nonsense reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,932 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that you are, there's a SuperValu in Corbally but it wouldn't carry as much merchadise as they do in Castletroy, why wouldn't a person from Corbally be allowed to do their shopping in Castletroy.

No one should be forced into doing their grocery shopping within a 5km radius.

As I said for no other reason. If the Corbally shop is smaller and you can't get the shopping you require that your reason.

Also most of Corbally and Castletroy are with in 5km not using road distance but as the crow flies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

washman3 wrote: »
    For example if they have a leaking roof tile, a burst pipe or a broken cooker, can they get somebody to repair it.
    Many people are unsure of this.

Yes. And you could during the first lockdown too. There are essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not the lack of information.
    For example, the school has a "mandatory mask on school grounds" policy. Regardless of what you think of masks and wearing them outdoors, you need to follow the rules as a courtesy if nothing else. But some people still choose to ignore this (and at least two of them are smokers so no medical exception crap). Ok, let's say they somehow missed the letter from the principal, but at least the common sense should prevail, when you're surrounded by people wearing them nothing clicks? Sure it does, but some just choose to be thick ignorant cnts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Can we go to our nearest post office?

Can we go to our nearest post office?
    Again, yes. It's an essential service and will remain open.

If a business/service provider is open that means that it's essential and you can go there to avail of the products/services it provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

During the first lockdown, I went into the city for shopping. I live 20 miles outside of it. The local shops are either crap with stock or far more expensive. If I was to do the weekly shop in the local, I'd imagine it would add 30% onto the cost. Cheaper to drive into Limerick to get the cheaper deals. I live with my parents who are cocooners. Any time I'm stopped, I explain I'm in for the weekly shop for the parents who I live with. I was stopped twice on the same day by 1 Garda, and I explained I was going from Dunnes on the Childers Road to Tesco in the Crescent as the Dunnes was too busy. Not a bother.

The fine is the last thing the Gardai want to give. If you're stopped and they don't like the excuse, they'll ask you to turn around. It's only if you start being a dick about it, you'll get fined, or if you travelled from one county to another without a proper excuse (ie: people 5 mins from Tipp town going to Limerick city instead).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in the supermarket this evening and the mind still boggles at observing some people. Walking around wearing face coverings but letting it sit below their nose or above their mouth so they can talk to the person at the other end of their phone or to the person there with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The Locke Bar seemed it have ignored the 15 max capacity outside and always people packed in the burger part of it queuing up

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    The Locke Bar seemed it have ignored the 15 max capacity outside and always people packed in the burger part of it queuing up

A queue doesnt count as capacity. You cant really stop people from standing outside wanting to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

How about viewing houses for renting? Myself and my partner want to view a house 20km out the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Argos in Childers Road are staying open for collection. Also, Sports Direct are staying open because they sell workwear and dog beds, both classes as essential

pigtown wrote: »
    Argos in Childers Road are staying open for collection. Also, Sports Direct are staying open because they sell workwear and dog beds, both classes as essential
    You'll find that many many stores will have found ways around the regulations. Plenty had reopened before the end of the last lockdown as they figured the regulations out. Others will have learnt from it this time round.

And all I can say is fair play to them if they figure out a way to keep trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Months back some businesses, takeaways as example, closed when they didn't have to. They could have remained open but that the health of their staff was important so they closed. Sure, they eventually reopened but I don't know of many outbreaks that happened, if any, in takeaways so likely very few if any will close this time around.

I know today is officaly the first day of lockdown(signed into law at 11:50pm last night) but having had to do a return trip to Nenagh this morning the motorway was so busy, streets in Limerick were as busy between 7:30am and 9am. I can't see the streets in the city centre being as busy as obviously yesterday(Penneys was even open till 10pm) but the commutting times seemed as busy, possibly schools related. So day one, didn't look like a lockdown at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And all I can say is fair play to them if they figure out a way to keep trading.

Not sure I agree with that the while idea is for people to stay at home to lower the r rate non essential shops and biz finding loopholes doesn't help.

Berty wrote: »
    Months back some businesses, takeaways as example, closed when they didn't have to. They could have remained open but that the health of their staff was important so they closed. Sure, they eventually reopened but I don't know of many outbreaks that happened, if any, in takeaways so likely very few if any will close this time around.

I know today is officaly the first day of lockdown(signed into law at 11:50pm last night) but having had to do a return trip to Nenagh this morning the motorway was so busy, streets in Limerick were as busy between 7:30am and 9am. I can't see the streets in the city centre being as busy as obviously yesterday(Penneys was even open till 10pm) but the commutting times seemed as busy, possibly schools related. So day one, didn't look like a lockdown at rush hour.

No factories or schools have to shut down this time so the motorways and roads are going to continue to be pretty busy at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »

Very noticeable drop in early morning traffic in Limerick this morning

I wouldn't say very on my commute but the back ups at the major junctions were definitely smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Got a taxi to work this morning. Driver said he got stopped by the Guard for not wearing a mask. The Guard said there could be €500 fines.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Got a taxi to work this morning. Driver said he got stopped by the Guard for not wearing a mask. The Guard said there could be €500 fines.

Not a very bright taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed, my usual loop in the morning is Old Cratloe rd - Ennis Road - Shelbourne rd and back via Old Cratloe Road again.
    Far, far quieter than it has been at any point since schools went back.

banie01 wrote: »
    Agreed, my usual loop in the morning is Old Cratloe rd - Ennis Road - Shelbourne rd and back via Old Cratloe Road again.
    Far, far quieter than it has been at any point since schools went back.

Was very quiet this morning along the Groody Road to Castletroy Industrial Estate. However, it was much busier around 6:30 pm this even at the junction between Groody Road and Dublin Road

A joke at UL. Chemistry Department only allowing one student per lab location. Electronic Department allowing two per station.

Also policies herein UL are different to those in other 3rd level institutions. A joke.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

YFlyer wrote: »
    A joke at UL. Chemistry Department only allowing one student per lab location. Electronic Department allowing two per station.

Also policies herein UL are different to those in other 3rd level institutions. A joke.

What should they be doing? Is that two few for the space available?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Interesting article about Covid cases among traveller communities in Clare, Limerick, and Tipperary.

https://www.clareecho.ie/100-covid-19-cases-among-traveller-community-in-clare-limerick-tipp-in-last-two-weeks/

100 cases among them seems awfully high. Must have swept through like wildfire.

MarkR wrote: »
    Interesting article about Covid cases among traveller communities in Clare, Limerick, and Tipperary.

https://www.clareecho.ie/100-covid-19-cases-among-traveller-community-in-clare-limerick-tipp-in-last-two-weeks/

100 cases among them seems awfully high. Must have swept through like wildfire.

It's their lack of trust when it comes to authority and rebellious nature. Plus they have big extended families and generally poor health. Tragic.

It's their lack of trust when it comes to authority and rebellious nature. Plus they have big extended families and generally poor health. Tragic.

The extended families and cramped living conditions is a huge part. I don't know how anyone lives without a proper toilet or water too. I wouldn't be long giving up on the halting sites if I was a traveller

https://www.facebook.com/242208309132671/posts/3701661893187278/?extid=0&d=n

Latest figures for Limerick are in too. North city is doing better but east is up and the county really needs to get a handle on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

So if we are in a level 5 lockdown what's the story with groups of teenagers everywhere still?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement