Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

Four teachers from a city boy's secondary school have tested positive. All 1st years and TYs are off for the rest of the week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

30 today
    Christ above
    Jesus will you relax. Our 14 day average is down to 143 and is continuing to fall.
    Stop looking at the daily figures. They're meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Jesus will you relax. Our 14 day average is down to 143 and is continuing to fall.
    Stop looking at the daily figures. They're meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

That's OK in isolation but when we are second or third every day....
    Our population is under 200k
    Dublin population is 1.4m
    Our cases are generally 1/3 of theirs
    If you compare per population we are way way worse than Dublin yet we all think Dublin is riddled....

That's OK in isolation but when we are second or third every day....
    Our population is under 200k
    Dublin population is 1.4m
    Our cases are generally 1/3 of theirs
    If you compare per population we are way way worse than Dublin yet we all think Dublin is riddled....

Jesus Christ, stop comparing Limerick with other counties. Its absolutely pointless. All that matters is that our 14 day average is going in the right direction (not some imaginery league table) and has been doing that for over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

30 today Christ above

Probably time to give this thread a rest to be honest Roge it will just drive you nuts.

Rules are rules but Limerick people more so Irish people have no respect for rules.

December is going to be a slow nightmare with cases.

Life is much better when you detach from this thread regardless of whether you are just concerned or believe in rules you can't talk sense to some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

maebee wrote: »
    Four teachers from a city boy's secondary school have tested positive. All 1st years and TYs are off for the rest of the week.

Which school?

Edit: I've discovered the name of the school, is there a rule against reporting the name in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,568 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Which school?

Edit: I've discovered the name of the school, is there a rule against reporting the name in the thread?

Is there any real need to name it

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Is there any real need to name it

Personally I think it would help to put some people's minds at ease (those who would have no contact with the school in question) and to have others who might be close contacts to double down on their efforts to contain the virus

Personally I think it would help to put some people's minds at ease (those who would have no contact with the school in question) and to have others who might be close contacts to double down on their efforts to contain the virus

People who have no contact with the school dont need to know other than to gossip. Anyone who is a close contact or know kids in that school will know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People who have no contact with the school dont need to know other than to gossip. Anyone who is a close contact or know kids in that school will know anyway

People who have kids in the school will be the last to hear. If people live in neghbourhood of a school where its rampant they need to know to give kids from the school a wide berth in the shops, on street etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Any recommendations for pubs doing food in Limerick with outside seating? Have no intention of sitting inside a pub or restaurant this Christmas but if I could sit outside in the open air I think it'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

LeoD wrote: »
    Any recommendations for pubs doing food in Limerick with outside seating? Have no intention of sitting inside a pub or restaurant this Christmas but if I could sit outside in the open air I think it'd be grand.

Indoor dining only allowed from Friday.

adaminho wrote: »
    Indoor dining only allowed from Friday.

Oh really? I thought if a pub had a covered area outside with tables they would be used? Thinking of a place like the Curragower for example.

I think ye've wires crossed there lads. I think what adaminho is saying is that pubs that serve food are only allowed to open from Friday. But he thinks you're looking for indoor dining?

I think ye've wires crossed there lads. I think what adaminho is saying is that pubs that serve food are only allowed to open from Friday. But he thinks you're looking for indoor dining?

Maybe. I'm looking for a pub from Friday that I can get a meal and have a pint but I want to be seated outside.

The official guidance is indoor dining only. Waiting on clarification from Failte Ireland.

The official guidance is indoor dining only. Waiting on clarification from Failte Ireland.

That actually makes no sense. Before level 5 outdoor dining was still possible. It'll definitely be possible is indoor dining is allowed.

But the way all these changes have been communicated over the last few months theres no surprize that there's confusion.

That actually makes no sense. Before level 5 outdoor dining was still possible. It'll definitely be possible is indoor dining is allowed.

But the way all these changes have been communicated over the last few months theres no surprize that there's confusion.
    From 4 December:

restaurants and pubs operating as restaurants (serving a substantial meal) may reopen for indoor dining with additional restrictions, (including requirement for meals to be prepared on site, inside the premises). This includes access for non-residents to restaurants in hotels
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5b068-ireland-placed-on-level-3-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-with-special-measures-for-a-safe-christmas/

Closest you'll get is someplace like Cobblestone Joe's which is technically indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

LeoD wrote: »

The George have a lovely heated outdoor area where you can sit and eat. The new Da Vincenzo's menu is just OK. It won't set the world on fire but it might be worth considering.

I think you're reading that too literally. There's no way they're going to allow indoor dining and not allow outdoor dining which is 17 times safer.

• Advertisement

Those cases in the school in the city that were mentioned earlier, 6 teachers tested positive, 9 close contacts are isolating as a precaution and all the rest of the school staff returned negative results, no students affected, well done to the school (that as agreed I will not mention the name of) it seems this small outbreak has been closed off

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Those cases in the school in the city that were mentioned earlier, 6 teachers tested positive, 9 close contacts are isolating as a precaution and all the rest of the school staff returned negative results, no students affected, well done to the school (that as agreed I will not mention the name of) it seems this small outbreak has been closed off

Not trying to stir up anything here but my nephew is going to that school and was informed last night that he has to be tested due to being a close contact of a confirmed case. I don't think it's closed off as of yet.

Not trying to stir up anything here but my nephew is going to that school and was informed last night that he has to be tested due to being a close contact of a confirmed case. I don't think it's closed off as of yet.

Every time a close contact becomes a positive it creates a new string of close contacts which creates new positives and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

you aren't told who your close contact was, it could have been someone from the school community or someone from outside it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've noticed that the Ballysimon Testing Centre has not been open early in the past few days. Normally you see a queue of some sort at and before 8am. All locked up at 8:10am recently. Low demand, no early bookings now?

Berty wrote: »
    I've noticed that the Ballysimon Testing Centre has not been open early in the past few days. Normally you see a queue of some sort at and before 8am. All locked up at 8:10am recently. Low demand, no early bookings now?

Well if you are going for a test you are not working so no need to go so early. So I'm just assuming no one was signing up for the 8am appointments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

breezy1985 wrote:
    Well if you are going for a test you are not working so no need to go so early. So I'm just assuming no one was signing up for the 8am appointments

Wish everyone would not go to work while waiting for a test or results

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

mitresize5 wrote: »
    you aren't told who your close contact was, it could have been someone from the school community or someone from outside it

That is true but he had been isolating in lieu of the results of some of the teachers being tested.
    So I guess it wouldn't be a huge jump to link the close contact with the school.

Berty wrote: »

Testing numbers are way down. Only 74k in the last 7 days compared with over 100k a week a month ago.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Wish everyone would not go to work while waiting for a test or results

Unless they work from home of course?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement