Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fifteen-teachers-self-isolating-after-covid-outbreak-in-limerick-school-1046216.html

The school’s principal confirmed details of the outbreak to The Irish Times, but requested that the school not be named to protect the privacy of staff members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Unless they work from home of course?

Didn't think I would need to clarify that !

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

MarkR wrote: »
    But sure, everyone in Limerick knows anyway. And parents and peopple in the area should know

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Advance notice that figures tomorrow will jump quite a bit. Apparently a delay in reporting to the HSPC for some technical issue will cause late reporting tomorrow.

Source - Gavan Reilly Twitter and Dept of Health

• Registered Users Posts: 9,154 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

frank8211 wrote: »
    But sure, everyone in Limerick knows anyway. And parents and peopple in the area should know

If anybody wants to find out it's not hard to find if you go looking hard enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Pretty disappointing this week to see people going in and out of various garages with no masks on. Worst seems to be the Inver garage on the Ballysimon road beside the graveyard. A few taxi drivers and younger people.

Masks aren't that effective when covid is already in the air, so if someone infected's been in the shop in the few hours before I go in, the mask will help but the risk obviously goes up. If they're infectious and have worn a mask, chances are massively reduced.

Sadly the virus will spread again, and idiots like these people are going to make Christmas and the new year harder than it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Walked passed a barber shop yesterday the windows and doors closed so no fresh air circulating was surprised to see barber wearing a visor no mask and 2 of the 4 people waiting had no masks on.

In the queue at the coffee shop hatch had to ask a group of 4 kids with 2 parents to move back as they were at most 6 inches away, surprised by the reaction from the "mothers" fine language to use in front of kids.

X-ray department in the regional was full of our ethnic cousins yesterday no adherence to social distancing and masks pulled down to talk to each other unfortunately too close to us so couldn't keep the 2 meters away.

You can try so hard to keep yourself or family somewhat safer but it's the covidiots out there that ruin it for everyone else.

Some people are clueless. Cases are going to rocket before we get to January.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

kilburn wrote: »
    Walked passed a barber shop yesterday the windows and doors closed so no fresh air circulating was surprised to see barber wearing a visor no mask and 2 of the 4 people waiting had no masks on.

In the queue at the coffee shop hatch had to ask a group of 4 kids with 2 parents to move back as they were at most 6 inches away, surprised by the reaction from the "mothers" fine language to use in front of kids.

X-ray department in the regional was full of our ethnic cousins yesterday no adherence to social distancing and masks pulled down to talk to each other unfortunately too close to us so couldn't keep the 2 meters away.

You can try so hard to keep yourself or family somewhat safer but it's the covidiots out there that ruin it for everyone else.

Some people are clueless. Cases are going to rocket before we get to January.

Jesus that would drive you mad. Not sure i would've had the patience.

I think the recent governmental message was all wrong - they basically said masks would no longer be enforced in shops. An articles in the IT if I remember right said to just serve those people quicker and get them out of the shop asap...

People don't seem to realise nothing has changed from last February to now. The virus still spreads the same way and is deadly or life-changing for a lot of people. How difficult is it to put a mask on FFS even if only out of respect for others. If there's anything I've learned from the pandemic it is that people are extremely uncaring and selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I was in a lift in Dunnes howleys quay uesterday and an elderly lady all chat wearing no mask not a care in the world. Then in the toilets in the Jetland an elderly man with no mask on and not a care in the world. The 2 people would be late 70s if not older.

I thought guidance on masks was escalated last week to wearing outside on busy streets now too.

People give out about the NPHET treating the people like children but from what I have seen since restrictions have been eased it would be worrying. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,383 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bigpink wrote: »
    It's a fact and it's a very real threat the Travellers coming home to Rathkeale for Christmas that is not negative talk

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/travellers-asked-not-to-return-home-for-christmas-39824760.html

Pavee Point is backing calls by a Government minister to hundreds of transient Irish Travellers not to return to their County Limerick home town for Christmas.

Minister for Skills and Further Education Niall Collins said Rathkeale was in danger of becoming a high risk Covid-19 zone over the holiday when the town's population traditionally increases from 1,500 to more than 3,000 due to the homecoming of Travellers.

He has appealed to Travellers who normally return for Christmas, to put off their plans this year.

Many will be coming from areas in the UK and mainland Europe, which are in lockdown due to surges in the virus.

Mr Collins, who is a local TD, said: "Rathkeale will be at risk, big time, and that is the reality of it with the numbers who come into the town for the holiday period. Normally, a dedicated policing and public health plan is put in place by the HSE. But this year, due to the Covid-19 crisis, huge extra resources will have to be deployed to prevent a spike in Rathkeale.

“I am taking the whole situation up with the HSE to ensure that all possible precautions are taken to ensure that those living in Rathkeale and those visiting can have a safe, healthy Christmas and New Year.”

Martin Collins, of Pavee Point, backed the minister's appeal. "I would say to all the Travellers who normally come back home to Rathkeale to stay put; that is the safest thing to do,” he said. “They should restrict their movements. But realistically, there will be a considerable number of Travellers coming back to Rathkeale and the HSE will have to ramp up their plan for the town which is put in place for Christmas."

Michael Aherne, of the HSE community health care department in Limerick, said they were currently recruiting for a doctor and nurse to manage a temporary clinic they open each Christmas in Rathkeale to support local GP services.

Settled Traveller Terry O'Brien (62), who has lived in Rathkeale for more than 30 years, said a number of his relatives were expected for Christmas.

"I and all the other Travellers in Rathkeale are taking the precautions we are asked to. No Traveller wants to get this or give it to anybody else. But there are a lot of people coming back."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/travellers-asked-not-to-return-home-for-christmas-39824760.html

Pavee Point is backing calls by a Government minister to hundreds of transient Irish Travellers not to return to their County Limerick home town for Christmas.

Minister for Skills and Further Education Niall Collins said Rathkeale was in danger of becoming a high risk Covid-19 zone over the holiday when the town's population traditionally increases from 1,500 to more than 3,000 due to the homecoming of Travellers.

He has appealed to Travellers who normally return for Christmas, to put off their plans this year.

Many will be coming from areas in the UK and mainland Europe, which are in lockdown due to surges in the virus.

Mr Collins, who is a local TD, said: "Rathkeale will be at risk, big time, and that is the reality of it with the numbers who come into the town for the holiday period. Normally, a dedicated policing and public health plan is put in place by the HSE. But this year, due to the Covid-19 crisis, huge extra resources will have to be deployed to prevent a spike in Rathkeale.

“I am taking the whole situation up with the HSE to ensure that all possible precautions are taken to ensure that those living in Rathkeale and those visiting can have a safe, healthy Christmas and New Year.”

Martin Collins, of Pavee Point, backed the minister's appeal. "I would say to all the Travellers who normally come back home to Rathkeale to stay put; that is the safest thing to do,” he said. “They should restrict their movements. But realistically, there will be a considerable number of Travellers coming back to Rathkeale and the HSE will have to ramp up their plan for the town which is put in place for Christmas."

Michael Aherne, of the HSE community health care department in Limerick, said they were currently recruiting for a doctor and nurse to manage a temporary clinic they open each Christmas in Rathkeale to support local GP services.

Settled Traveller Terry O'Brien (62), who has lived in Rathkeale for more than 30 years, said a number of his relatives were expected for Christmas.

"I and all the other Travellers in Rathkeale are taking the precautions we are asked to. No Traveller wants to get this or give it to anybody else. But there are a lot of people coming back."

The very very very best of luck with that.

We are in for a world of hurt in January.

The number of people who just can't be arsed anymore has significantly increased. Was in a petrol station with 2 employees and 7 other customers. Both employees with masks below their neck and 5 customers without masks, the sixth using his jumper as a mask. Lax social distancing in some cafes. People openly coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We are in for a world of hurt in January.

The number of people who just can't be arsed anymore has significantly increased.

The government always knew this. A January lockdown has always been a definite and the current level 3 is just to give people some leeway in what would have been an unpolicable Christmas lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The government always knew this. A January lockdown has always been a definite and the current level 3 is just to give people some leeway in what would have been an unpolicable Christmas lockdown

Yup was in the city centre today and the amount of people who didn't give two shytes was astounding.

Most people in Brown Thomas clearly forgot about social distancing and plenty pulling their masks off to chat or sip their Starbucks and not bothering to put them back on or sanitising again before pawing at bags/perfume. Staff were trying their hardest but without limiting the numbers in store its impossible for them to approach and call out everyone who was being lax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Yup was in the city centre today and the amount of people who didn't give two shytes was astounding.

Most people in Brown Thomas clearly forgot about social distancing and plenty pulling their masks off to chat or sip their Starbucks and not bothering to put them back on or sanitising again before pawing at bags/perfume. Staff were trying their hardest but without limiting the numbers in store its impossible for them to approach and call out everyone who was being lax.

So, how else do you propose that people drink coffee?

Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

There's no need to bring a coffee into a shop and it's barred in many. The staff in BTs were overrun today with Christmas shoppers as normally they ask people to finish their coffees outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

I think the end of their sentence is the issue "... and not bothering to put them back on or sanitising again before pawing at bags/perfume"

Forget your Coffees, Tesco Coonagh the week before last has some scummy fella, you know the type. Looked like an onesie tracksuit, all grey(McKenzie) tucked into his white socks and black trainers. Anyway, he was strolling around eating a cup of wedges(they're cups right, whatever), no masks on him or his partner. I imagine he's just laughing at the rest of us, he's just going through life without a care in the world.

phog wrote: »
    I was in BT and I'm giving out about the number of people in BT :rolleyes:

People also sit in traffic yet also complain about there being too much traffic. Circle of life. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/593966/fury-over-crowd-outside-licensed-premises-in-limerick-town.html

I'll leave this here, won't comment apart to say I agree with Niall Collins' comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/593966/fury-over-crowd-outside-licensed-premises-in-limerick-town.html

I'll leave this here, won't comment apart to say I agree with Niall Collins' comments.

Utterly predictable :-(

There's signs of slippage everywhere really...seen a few people not wearing masks in SuperValu Castletroy and also about 10 people in a cramped queue at the barbers there as well.

Noticed a few middle aged folk wearing masks as well and pulling them down to have a chat with people

It'll be straight back into Level 4/5 lockdown after Christmas and limping on til the vaccines are rolled out

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Noticed a few middle aged folk wearing masks as well and pulling them down to have a chat with people

Where the missus works people have been coming into the back of the warehouse asking the staff for directions to the Covid testing centre. Some even pull down their masks to ask where it is. The staff are not best pleased. They are located nearby, in the estate around the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only 8 cases in Limerick today thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Not commenting

I will echo the exact same sentiments here too and have been warned also in the recent past for doing so.
    If we cannot call out this behaviour (from all sections of society) during a Global Pandemic without being demonised, then what hope do we have when some sort of normality returns. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That carvery restaurant in the Crescent Shopping Centre was open again today, completely packed with nobody wearing a mask, big queue for it out the door down the length of the centre no social distancing, it was bizarre.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

"Certain ethnic minorities" is a cunning method of trying to fool the totalitarian mods, but I've seen through ye. I'm tired of looking up posts to see if it's warranted. There has been ample warnings about this here before. I don't care if you don't like travellers, I'm not having that ****e here. Two week bans for any more of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Far too much tut tutting going on here
    Christ its like an episode of Black Mirror
    I get that we all want to be safe and cautious, but reading this thread is like some kinda dystopian novel where you get credits for ratting out the ne'er do wells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

MarkR wrote: »
    "Certain ethnic minorities" is a cunning method of trying to fool the totalitarian mods, but I've seen through ye. I'm tired of looking up posts to see if it's warranted. There has been ample warnings about this here before. I don't care if you don't like travellers, I'm not having that ****e here. Two week bans for any more of this nonsense.

Is it ok to say that maybe its nothing to do with whether or not the person *likes" travellers, but simply that perhaps there may be an issue here, that is of public interest, is a matter for debate and isn't necessarily baiting, just genuine discussion?

I am NOT trying to stir a pot or have a go at anyone, I am only asking if perhaps the mod is being a little too trigger happy here in completely shutting down any debate whatsoever on the possibility that there IS an issue here, that does warrant discussion, within reason obviously
    Any generic, broad brush statement are of course out of line and deserve banning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Is it ok to say that maybe its nothing to do with whether or not the person *likes" travellers, but simply that perhaps there may be an issue here, that is of public interest, is a matter for debate and isn't necessarily baiting, just genuine discussion?

I am NOT trying to stir a pot or have a go at anyone, I am only asking if perhaps the mod is being a little too trigger happy here in completely shutting down any debate whatsoever on the possibility that there IS an issue here, that does warrant discussion, within reason obviously
    Any generic, broad brush statement are of course out of line and deserve banning.

I think the mod has removed some comments so looking back you don't get the full picture. Usually it starts with someone saying something about the numbers going up in west limerick, and shortly after descends into the same few people taking over the thread with bile. Its a near weekly occurrence at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement