Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,567 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Far too much tut tutting going on here
    Christ its like an episode of Black Mirror
    I get that we all want to be safe and cautious, but reading this thread is like some kinda dystopian novel where you get credits for ratting out the ne'er do wells

An awful lot of " I was in a shop and it's a disgrace how many other people were in the shop"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

mdmix wrote: »
    I think the mod has removed some comments so looking back you don't get the full picture. Usually it starts with someone saying something about the numbers going up in west limerick, and shortly after descends into the same few people taking over the thread with bile. Its a near weekly occurrence at this stage.

Ok, I follow
    FWIW Any generic racism and opportunism to stick the boot in deserves sanction. However, we HAVE to allowed have this debate in some manner.
    There IS an issue here. There simply is.
    Anyone reading the Limk Leader this week and hearing what nationally elected and locally elected members are saying can see this.
    Just wanton ignoring in the name of PC is of no help to anyone

breezy1985 wrote: »
    An awful lot of " I was in a shop and it's a disgrace how many other people were in the shop"

The lack of self awareness when it comes to this stuff is incredible !!
    I was in Jetland and i saw 50 other people in Jetland, ITS A DISGRACE JOE!

Listen to yourselves!!
    I saw a woman handle a bag AND NOT PURCHASE IT!!!! So she put it back! Imagine!
    The horror!

Ok, I follow
    FWIW Any generic racism and opportunism to stick the boot in deserves sanction. However, we HAVE to allowed have this debate in some manner.
    There IS an issue here. There simply is.
    Anyone reading the Limk Leader this week and hearing what nationally elected and locally elected members are saying can see this.
    Just wanton ignoring in the name of PC is of no help to anyone

There is a problem in that community and we are all well aware of it as are the HSE, government, and media so it does not need to be brought up over and over again.

We are all aware of it. No one needs educating or notifying of it at this stage so it's not news and doesn't need further debate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Think most of the last few comments need to be deleted.

Have you people forgotten there is a pandemic, if people are complaining that a certain shop on a certain day is too busy and no social distancing that's what this thread is for so they can advise others.

The Joe Duffy talk is as bad as the travellers bashing we get in this thread occasionally.

Anyone who doesn't want updates can just leave the thread so why rubbish people who are concerned and find this thread valuable?

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Think most of the last few comments need to be deleted.

Have you people forgotten there is a pandemic, if people are complaining that a certain shop on a certain day is too busy and no social distancing that's what this thread is for so they can advise others.

The Joe Duffy talk is as bad as the travellers bashing we get in this thread occasionally.

Anyone who doesn't want updates can just leave the thread so why rubbish people who are concerned and find this thread valuable?

"Walked passed a barber shop yesterday the windows and doors closed so no fresh air circulating was surprised to see barber wearing a visor no mask and 2 of the 4 people waiting had no masks on.

In the queue at the coffee shop hatch had to ask a group of 4 kids with 2 parents to move back as they were at most 6 inches away, surprised by the reaction from the "mothers" fine language to use in front of kids."

That's you one this very thread last week. That is not advice or updates it's just anecdotal moaning that serves no purpose.

This thread should be about facts and updates so this is the last I will comment on gossip and travellers

I don't see the issue with above Breezy it just proves the point Limerick people are not taking it seriously, most people on this thread know the area I live in so know where I am talking about.

Its the Joe Duffy comments and traveller issues i called out

People not following the rules and it being mentioned by me is a fact not an anecdotal comment.

If someone reads it and it reminds them to wear a mask and stand back I have achieved my goal.

Surprised you felt the need to go through my comments, obviously hit a nerve..

Plenty of likes on that post to so obviously some of the local regulars agree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The whole 'Most people in Limerick aren't taking is seriously' is simply your opinion, nothing more. The rapidly dropping case numbers and 14 day incidence rate tell a different story.

The whole 'Most people in Limerick aren't taking is seriously' is simply your opinion, nothing more. The rapidly dropping case numbers and 14 day incidence rate tell a different story.

You are right it is only my opinion but a shared opinion.

14 day incident rate only tells the story of people who were tested and not of asymptomatic people who have not been tested of which there is a very high population not opinion but fact.

Anyway I see it's time to depart this thread again as the usual bunch are shutting down any opinion that does not agree with their own.

Stay safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I said ethnic minorities meaning the Palatines in Rathkeale!
    Sorry about that!

http://www.irishpalatines.org/about/history.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Just on Rogers query about touching stuff in a shop, most places have signs up asking people not to handle an item unless you plan to buy it.

Clothing, chemists and department stores have signs that ask that you request assistance before picking up items and will steam/disinfect the item after you look at it or try it on - otherwise it gets put into isolated storage for a while. Similarly supermarkets ask that you only touch what you plan on buying.

Its why some people are getting annoyed at the influencers in the Crescent, posting over a hundred combined outfit changes on their stories. Some poor staff member in each store will have to steam every item before it can go back onto the floor, all in the name of hashtags.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very apt reply. Must have hit a nerve. :D

Anyway, 14 day incident figures in Limerick continue to drop though I'd say the Level 3 impact hasn't really come into play yet no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

I said ethnic minorities meaning the Palatines in Rathkeale!
    Sorry about that!

http://www.irishpalatines.org/about/history.html

As a descendant from that so called "ethnic minority" I can tell you we have integrated exceptionally well :) We have never demanded any special concessions. And our branch had intermarried with the locals within two generations of arriving here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A security guard in a shop this evening opening shouting across the shop to a staff member that it's all a plandemic and it's like the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Visited town a couple of times in the last few days, mostly around 7pm but once around 5pm. For reference, I usually go to Dunnes in the Parkway, Tesco in Roxboro (which is far better since they did up the place, no longer feels crowded somehow), Dunnes on Childers Road if there's no queue outside, Tesco in the Crescent (usually for the late shopping around 9pm, and sometimes Supervalu in Castletroy). Most people still seem to be adhering, but I do notice an increase in people not wearing masks and a rough guess of maybe 50% wearing them in busy public streets. I've turned around from a few shops in those visits because it was simply too busy and I'm not taking the chance. It's why I shop so late tbh, but even those times are getting busy now. I'll echo above insofar as I haven't seen any signs about touching things or staff removing touched items. When I'm grocery shopping, I automatically go for ones stacked in the back to ensure as few people as possible have touched them. I can understand people checking perishable foods best before, but I similarly see people do the same with canned or long-life goods when there is simply no need.

People are slipping up or deliberatly not caring anymore, and it will become evident in the new year. We won't see any issues for another week or so, and we'll start seeing numbers go back up again before Xmas with a lock down shortly afterwards. At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if they initiated Level 4 or 5 again but before the new year. Hope not, and it really doesn't make any difference to me either way, but I can see it happening. I know the government will want to keep everything open/in level 3 until the new year, but I suspect a massive jump in cases in the next couple of weeks.

I've said it to my parents, but I think I'll continue to wear a mask even after this is all over. Having not been sick since March, it's the longest period in my life where I haven't been sick in some way. Haven't had a sniffly nose or dry cough (aside from the smokers one). Only problem I have is I can't figure out is it because of the masks and hand hygiene or because I no longer have to share a work environment with other people. Either way, even though I smoke, don't exercise and don't have the best of diets, I still feel healthier than I ever have.

But as for shops, I just won't go in if it looks too busy and if I do go in and it is too busy, I leave again straight away. I can't do anything about other people, but I can do something with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Can i ask one question of you Kilburn

And I ask in absolute honesty and with no motive to catch you out etc
    To follow your, what I would call slightly extreme ways of approaching shopping and trade etc, If a lady, or a man or whoever goes into a shop, see's something, say, a scarf for example. If they take it off the rack, and examine it, and decide, no, I don't like it actually, in your opinion, what should they do???
    Buy it?
    Give it to a busy assistant and say "here, I touched this, better quarantine it"
    Or, put it back on the rack?

Similarly, if I go to Dunne's to get my kids some jumpers. I see a jumper on a hanger with 8/9 written on the hanger, "lovely" I think for my 8 year old.
    I then take it off the hanger and notice, as happens in Dunne's, its actually for a 6/7 year old, what should I do???

I do not mean this flippantly, I just don't get what people who think like yourself, and you certainly are not in a tiny minority, what in your opinion, would you have me do?

Thanks

I was in an outdoor clothing shop in Dublin last week and they were allowing people to try stuff on and then they would take it away to be steam sterilised. I walked down to another outdoor clothing shop nearby and no such rule.

In Lockdown 1 the shops were stricter on this point and putting clothing aside for a period of time. I tried a bike helmet on in Limerick bike shop and they put it away after for 48 hours

I did a quick search and it is hard to find clear guidance, Logic suggests there is a risk and you should be careful. Certainly wash new clothing when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

boege wrote: »
    Certainly wash new clothing when you get home.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

198 are men / 230 are women
    66% are under 45 years of age
    The median age is 34 years old
    122 in Dublin, 46 in Donegal, 30 in Limerick, 22 in Laois, 20 in Cork and the remaining 189 cases are spread across all other counties

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bicyclette wrote: »
    While the outbreak is in a Tesco in Limerick, where the infected employees live will determine where the numbers are applied. They could all be Limerick or it could be a mixture of Limerick and Clare.

We also don't know when the outbreak occurred so the numbers could already be accounted for in previous days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

Bicyclette wrote: »

I shopped there on Friday. I shop there a lot, purely because of the low numbers of people in the store. It's always been a quiet Tesco.

Shop there also as it's normally quiet.

The run a tight ship in fairness.

To be fair you could see how a checkout operator could easily get infected and pass it on.

After the medical/emergency staff during this pandemic it's the people working in shops who have impressed me so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Soap will not kill Covid

Prof Luke O’Neill said it does, and also scoffed at the washing masks at 60 degrees for the same reason. I’d believe him rather than you tbh

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'm at the test centre on Ballysimon road, quite a queue for it
    Young lad developed a cough and got a test quickly because of underlying issues, happened once before as well but we were in and out very quick at Joseph's. Here's hoping its negative

I'm at the test centre on Ballysimon road, quite a queue for it Young lad developed a cough and got a test quickly because of underlying issues, happened once before as well but we were in and out very quick at Joseph's. Here's hoping its negative

Best of luck

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ok, we all know how to wash our hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Prof Luke O’Neill said it does, and also scoffed at the washing masks at 60 degrees for the same reason. I’d believe him rather than you tbh

Id listen to a kettle more than i would to luke oneill...hes a sickener

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

A concern has been voiced that my deletion of the off topic handwashing discussion may give the inaccurate idea that handwashing with soap does not kill covid. It does. But I thought we all knew that, as it is promoted regularly on all forms of media.

For those of you interested in the specifics, here you go.

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/how-to-wash-your-hands.html

Back to topic, this is about Coronavirus in Limerick. Handwashing techniques are not a Limerick specific issue.

If you are having a off topic discussion about something that you would like to continue, bring it to PM.

I hope this is the end of this.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'm at the test centre on Ballysimon road, quite a queue for it
    Young lad developed a cough and got a test quickly because of underlying issues, happened once before as well but we were in and out very quick at Joseph's. Here's hoping its negative

Negative :)
    Can't complain about the turnaround , test after 5 yesterday, neagtive result text after 6 today

• Advertisement

Limerick's numbers in the highest again now 2 days in a row
    FFS
    We can't shake this off at all can we
    bloody hell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement