Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder-Suicide in Nevada

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Funny when everyone thought it was the husband who did it there was no mention of mental health or any of that. Suddenly now we know it was the Mother who committed these heinous evil crimes it's all oh God love her sure she must have been suffering the poor woman.
    Evil cow is what she was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has anyone mentioned 'if she was a man we would all hate her' yet?

**edit**Oh LOL just as I posted....

spurious wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned 'if she was a man we would all hate her' yet?

**edit**Oh LOL just as I posted....

Yeah lol indeed. Let's cover up the fact the evil crime will be both reported and commented on differently because it was the mother and not the father. But you keep your head stuck in the sand and post your lol's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't really get it, do you?
    Hang around for a while, you will.

Oh I get it alright, mental health is used as an excuse for everything nowadays and anyone that questions it doesn't "get it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I agree with Assetbacked's general viewpoint, I think. Ive noticed almost no discussion in my (majority female) office workplace of either heinous crimes. Yet where a man does similar, like the teacher in Meath, we never hear the end of it. Rightly so. But the relative silence (of condemnation) tends to be deafening when it's a woman. A woman, a mother, is filled with only love so she must have been unhinged to act in such an unnatural way. Such narratives are indirectly insidious towards men.
    God rest all concerned. But on Planet Earth she stands guilty (allegedly, you pedants) of a truly heinous act.

I don’t know about you, but I heard a lot about the Deirdre Morley case. And the reason there was such a furore around Alan Hawe was because he was almost praised in the media. The focus was on his pillar of the community status. Deirdre Morley didn’t get that treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Casey78 wrote: »
    Oh I get it alright, mental health is used as an excuse for everything nowadays and anyone that questions it doesn't "get it"

You don’t think there could be a mental health issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Alan Hawe was also suffering from a mental illness.

Alan Hawe was not facing disciplinary threat, school says (Irish Times, March 2019)
    Prof Harry Kennedy, clinical director at the Central Mental Hospital who reviewed Hawe’s suicide notes and reports from his therapist and GP, told the inquest that Hawe was suffering from a severe mental illness and had “catastrophised” a number of incidents as a consequence of psychotic symptoms.

He said his psychotic episodes had left his judgment “severely impaired” and that he might have believed that some catastrophe or terrible event was about to befall him.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Usual story, a man kills his family he was evil, domineering, controlling, toxic masculinity, etc. When a women does the killing she had mental health issues and should be pitied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

CageWager wrote: »
    Usual story, a man kills his family he was evil, domineering, controlling, toxic masculinity, etc. When a women does the killing she had mental health issues and should be pitied.
    The bigger story is US gun laws and how easy it is to simply go out and purchase lethal firearms in that jurisdiction. The state of Nevada, where these deaths occurred, is among the least regulated in this regard. Nothing more than proof of residence is required of a potential purchaser. Indeed, many of the major supermarket chains now stock guns -displayed in locked glass cases - on their aisles throughout the country.
    Could this event have occurred anywhere else in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

chicorytip wrote: »
    The bigger story is US gun laws and how easy it is to simply go out and purchase lethal firearms in that jurisdiction. The state of Nevada, where these deaths occurred, is among the least regulated in this regard. Nothing more than proof of residence is required of a potential purchaser. Indeed, many of the major supermarket chains now stock guns -displayed in locked glass cases - on their aisles throughout the country.

It occurred in Dublin just a few weeks ago......just by a different method.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats nonscience. it is very true that it is stupidly easy to get guns in the us. but the point is that these people have serious mental issues . they are going to find a way to kill. they just used the easiest method to them. if there were no guns they would have used some other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I live in nevada and no supermarkets have guns for sale that I've ever seen. That's nonsense.

thats nonscience. it is very true that it is stupidly easy to get guns in the us. but the point is that these people have serious mental issues . they are going to find a way to kill. they just used the easiest method to them. if there were no guns they would have used some other way.
    Would she have been capable of carrying out the killings without the use of a firearm and by some other method or without the assistance of another individual? I think not. She acted alone (we presume, at this stage) so required the capability to overpower an adult male and two teenaged boys. This could not be accomplished using a baseball bat. So, I think my original point is valid and not fanciful. Could you imagine such an incident occurring here in Ireland, for example, given our very strict gun licencing laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Would she have been capable of carrying out the killings without the use of a firearm and by some other method or without the assistance of another individual? I think not. She acted alone (we presume, at this stage) so required the capability to overpower an adult male and two teenaged boys. This could not be accomplished using a baseball bat. So, I think my original point is valid and not fanciful. Could you imagine such an incident occurring here in Ireland, for example, given our very strict gun licencing laws?

your poit is not valid and is completely fancyfull.
    you cannot blame this on guns and how stupidly easy they are to get.

it would be dificult to kill 3 people with a baseball bat if they were all in a room at the same time. but one by one with suprise on your side it would be esy enough.

lots of way to kill people like with your car, poisoning, stabbing etc. a killer will always find a away to kill. blame the killer not the weapon

while our gun laws a very strick , it is fairly easy to get a gun on the black market or by breaking into a farmers house etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Death is too good for her. Selfish, psycho murderer. Rot in hell. The poor family.

How can you say that about a poor woman? If it was the husband then fair enough but women cannot be spoken about like that.

May they Rest In Peace

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    It occurred in Dublin just a few weeks ago......just by a different method.
    The circumstances of both cases are not comparable at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The circumstances of both cases are not comparable at all.

Becuase of a gun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

santana75 wrote: »
    Something dark is going on in suburbs the world over it seems. These Murder suicide cases are becoming more and more frequent. And every time the same comments are made by people who knew them "She/he was the last person you'd suspect of doing something like this". This phenomenon needs to be studied and understood in order to finally get to the root cause. Its not a new thing either, been going on as far back as I can remember, only difference now it seems to be happening way more often. People living in domestic quiet desperation, cracking up and turning violent. It needs to end.

It is common enough. RIP to all concerned, what a tragedy.

The perpetrator develops a mental psychosis where they decide to kill themselves. As part of that psychosis they bizarrely decide to kill all their loved ones to "protect" them from harm after they have died. The psychosis deludes the perpetrator into thinking that they are "saving" their family from further harm. Sometimes even protecting them from the grief after the action. It is paradoxically a survival mechanism, strange I know, but true.

We don't know the exact cause of the psychosis in this instance, it could have been she decided to murder her husband and then once this decision was processed the psychosis decided that her sons could not live or handle the grief. Or more sinisterly she may have killed one of her sons and then chosen to kill her husband and his brother etc.

These crimes are extremely difficult to prevent as the psychosis can occur at any time and under any circumstance. It sadly could happen to anyone, in a lot of cases there is no history of mental illness. This is partly to do with the mental narcissism of the perpetrator, they never believe they are sick.

This is tragically a mental health issue rather than that woman being a murderer. Who in their right mind would ever harm their family in such a way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement