Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Charger

Options
  • 06-03-2020 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I'm getting to the point where there are so many plugs taken up with charging various items (Samsung Galaxy, iPhones, iPad, Vapes etc.) that I'm looking for a solution.

I'm really unsure as to whether there is a universal solution and that I might fry our phones, for instance.

Can anybody provide guidance, e.g. do all phones take the same type of power input (don't know if I'm asking that question the right way)?

There are some plug sockets nowadays that have inbuilt USB chargers. Are they safe to use universally?

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes. The devices won’t draw any more power than they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭ted1

endacl wrote: »
    Yes. The devices won’t draw any more power than they need.

But some will draw more. And he should be sure to get a high power one, also some use quick/turbo chargers. Like QI.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,091 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any sensibly made charger will provide 500mA at 5V until the device plugged in can negotiate a different rate.

There are now some chargers that use USB C sockets at both ends which allows negotiating up to 20V 5A so be aware that some uses will either be limited or impossible on even the very common 2.1A 5V chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks everybody.

So, can somebody tell me what spec I should be looking for if purchasing a standard electrical socket with USB connections.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks everybody.

So, can somebody tell me what spec I should be looking for if purchasing a standard electrical socket with USB connections.

Tommy

Others have/will disagree with me here but IMO don't bother.

Theres no ones standard, there VOOC, VOOC2, SuperVooc, Dash 1,2..., QualComm QC 1-3, Huawei/MTK FC, USB-C PD etc. An integrated wall socket charger will probably offer 2.4A 5v "basic" USB charging. About 12W. Sounds great. Except thats dog slow. Current gen phones charge at 45W. In 2yrs that might be 60W+ and you won't change your wall sockets every time you change phone....

Until they all share patents (never unless the EU force them) its not worth doing. You'll have plenty of USB ports you'll only use to charge legacy devices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement