Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night rate heater not working

Options
  • 06-03-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

For the last 2 nights, our night time storage heater is not working. There is red bulb which lits up at at around 11 pm but heater remains cold.

However during the day time, it's heating properly.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

MOD NOTE: Going to move this to electrical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,461 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it definitely a storage heater?

Is it in a bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes.

It's in living room.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it definitely a storage heater?

Is it in a bedroom?

Are there other storage heaters in the house, and are they working as normal?

This is the only single storage heater in the house.
    Do basically there are 2 switches for this heater to turn on. One for day time, one for night time. The night time switch's light turn on after 11 PM only and shuts off at 8 AM. The night switch is still coming up but the heater remains cold.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are there other storage heaters in the house, and are they working as normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Probably the Stat, can be reset but it's inside the heater, wouldn't recommend taking it apart unless you know what you're doing, call a sparks

• Advertisement

Ok, i will leave it like this. Hoping winters will be over soon. Moving to a new house in summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

For the last 2 nights, our night time storage heater is not working. There is red bulb which lits up at at around 11 pm but heater remains cold.

However during the day time, it's heating properly.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

MOD NOTE: Going to move this to electrical.

Is this not how a storage heater works!? It will have released its heat throughout the day and uses the night rate electricity to regenerate over night to again release heat during the day. The fact you say it is heating during the day suggests it's working correctly, but in saying that I am far from an electrician.

I would say he’s using the fan heater boost during the day

So our storage heater would release some heat during the night and boost in the day time.
    It has 2 switches, one for night-time cheaper electricity and one for day-time.
    It's not releasing any heat at all during the day and remains cold like a stone. However, when I turn on the day-time switch then it starts to heat up and ofcourse it's using more expensive day time electricity.
    coff66 wrote: »
    Is this not how a storage heater works!? It will have released its heat throughout the day and uses the night rate electricity to regenerate over night to again release heat during the day. The fact you say it is heating during the day suggests it's working correctly, but in saying that I am far from an electrician.

Advertisement