Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers doing landscaping work

Options
  • 06-03-2020 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi.
    Just wondering if anyone has had Travellers do their garden before?
    Now I don't care if they are Travellers or not before all the discriminatory comments come in,just wondering has anyone ever had experience with them carrying out gardening/landscape work? (West,south west)

IV been trying for weeks now to find someone to come out and give me a quote,but one after another they either don't show,don't ring or can't be arsed getting back to me.
    The back garden is in bits,and with big dogs in and out from their it can be a mud bath sometimes.

So after again putting out an ad,I got a call with someone who will call next day, yes sounds like a Traveller,but to be fair most of us in Ireland do,and I don't really care if they are,I'm just worried about the job being done somewhat properly and not a huge cost..
    So has anyone had them in around the SW/W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I don't let anyone do work around my home without checking out their previous work or know someone who's used them. I don't care about race, religion, colour. It's all about been confident in them to do the job right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

I have had work done in the past by travellers and it's like anybody else, you get good ones and very bad ones. Did you advertise on the likes of www.tradesmen.ie

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

As long as they're insured, tax clearance cert, registered sole trader and declaring what you pay them i can't see the problem, just know if anything happens them on your property and they aren't insured they can claim off your insurance. So the use of chainsaws, consaws or anything that needs specific training needing certs should be taken very seriously in case they injure themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do not let them near your property.
    Best case you get a crap cover up job.
    Worst case, you get into all sorts of trouble like them claiming 5 times the value of the job, intimidation, theft, incomplete job, injury claims, illegal dumping on your property, disposing of illegally removed asbestos from another job by burying it in your garden. The list is endless but the choice is yours.
    They won't be insured or tax compliant. You won't even get their proper names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mickdw wrote:
    Do not let them near your property. Best case you get a crap cover up job. Worst case, you get into all sorts of trouble like them claiming 5 times the value of the job, intimidation, theft, incomplete job, injury claims, illegal dumping on your property, disposing of illegally removed asbestos from another job by burying it in your garden. The list is endless but the choice is yours. They won't be insured or tax compliant. You won't even get their proper names.

You know these guys do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Your innocence is endearing.

You know these guys do you?
    No. I gave a best and worst case and am pretty confident that if they are travellers, the outcome will fall somewhere between the 2 outcomes as suggested.

mickdw wrote: »
    No. I gave a best and worst case and am pretty confident that if they are travellers, the outcome will fall somewhere between the 2 outcomes as suggested.

In fairness it was all fairly worst case. but don't let that stop you. you are obviously an expert on the subject. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

In fairness it was all fairly worst case. but don't let that stop you. you are obviously an expert on the subject. Carry on.

In fairness,he's not wrong.

OP unless you know the travellers personally don't waste your time with them.
    Everything mickdw said is true...UNLESS...you know them if you know them they'll do you a nice job, if you've no connection to them the most likely outcome is a half arsed job at best

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    In fairness,he's not wrong.

Ah fair enough. obviously you know these fellas. give the OP a DM and fill in the details.

Ah fair enough. obviously you know these fellas. give the OP a DM and fill in the details.

Don't be getting upset there pal,I just gave the OP the advice I'd recommend publicly for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Used them once and would never use again, chopped the tress and took the remnants, along with my lawnmower!

Don't be getting upset there pal,I just gave the OP the advice I'd recommend publicly for all to see.

I remain calm. I am not upset in the slightest. it is my opinion that your advice is far too generic and therefore essentially meaningless.

Well to a point yes.
    I survey houses as part of my work. From experience, not all shoddy work is by travellers, far from it as there are many chancers out there but I will confidently state that where travellers have carried out a job, it is generally substandard.

Used them once and would never use again, chopped the tress and took the remnants, along with my lawnmower!
    This is specific and experience based advice. presuming truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

I actually created an account to warn the OP.

OP do not consider them whatsoever unless you know a few reliable people that had got them previously and were happy with their work and their price. This is basically the same for any trades person etc.

Why take the risk? As the other poster has said they could do half an hours work, try to charge you 5k and intimidate you non stop with people calling to house, phone calls to the house and eventually cause damage to your property if you don't pay up. They will harress you until you pay up.

The below happened near a local business near me last year.

The travellers requested the owner on the phone and identified themselves as county council workers.
    They said they had spare tarmacadem left over and instead of dumping they'll do the small laneway for them free of charge.The owner agreed.
    Seven travellers got out the Van and put down about a 1 cm of just tar on the ground which took them half an hour. It was not a proper job and covered about only a bit of the center of the drive way.
    They left and called the next day looking for 7K for the work they completed. Owner told them no.
    Called three times a day harresing the owner from different numbers saying there getting there money one way or another.
    After about three weeks using different phone numbers they started getting threatening saying they'll burn the business to the ground and "do you like walking". The tyres on his car were slashed outside his house.
    After about two months he gave them a grand to get rid of them. When he went to the gaurds originally they just told him to ignore them.

So do what you want OP but don't take the risk. The travellers had all the local businesses scoped out whose lane ways were not in good order.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well to a point yes.
    I survey houses as part of my work. From experience, not all shoddy work is by travellers, far from it as there are many chancers out there but I will confidently state that where travellers have carried out a job, it is generally substandard.

Informed opinion like this is much more valuable I reckon.

Maybe instead of doing a travellers are all rip off merchants who will kill your youngest child unless you pay them a fortune some posts of a different direction when looking for a garden landscaper could suffice?

I remain calm. I am not upset in the slightest. it is my opinion that your advice is far too generic and therefore essentially meaningless.

Gardening forum isn't the place for social justice or political correctness,it's a place for solid real world advice and that's just what the OP is getting even if you are getting upset by that.

I said simply unless you personally know them don't risk it.

• Advertisement

I realise I am probably coming across as a bit of a prick on this thread,, but the point I am making is that we have to careful about the generalisation of people. some specific examples have been given. fair enough. this should be encouraged. call out the cowboys and leave space for those who are trying to change things.

I realise I am probably coming across as a bit of a prick on this thread,, but the point I am making is that we have to careful about the generalisation of people. some specific examples have been given. fair enough. this should be encouraged. call out the cowboys and leave space for those who are trying to change things.

You're not.
    Look I'm friends with a few travellers and they would bend over backwards to help me out when I need,it's just that I know them and I know they will pull all sorts of scams on someone they don't give a toss about.
    Obviously that's just 1 persons experience (mine) but that's how I see the OP issue.
    Don't do it unless you know them.
    Feck it id tell the OP to go for a pint or 2 with them first before they let them near the garden,get to know them there not that bad if your on good terms with them :)

You're not.
    Look I'm friends with a few travellers and they would bend over backwards to help me out when I need,it's just that I know them and I know they will pull all sorts of scams on someone they don't give a toss about.
    Obviously that's just 1 persons experience (mine) but that's how I see the OP issue.
    Don't do it unless you know them.
    Feck it id tell the OP to go for a pint or 2 with them first before they let them near the garden,get to know them there not that bad if your on good terms with them :)

Cool. I work with a lot of travelers who are well aware of the reputation (and the reason for it) it's tough going to make a change. you are dead right. have a pint or a cup of tea and a biscuit with them before you agree any deals. the same for anybody who might do some work for you I reckon. no offence meant here. Happy gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

Cool. I work with a lot of travelers who are well aware of the reputation (and the reason for it) it's tough going to make a change. you are dead right. have a pint or a cup of tea and a biscuit with them before you agree any deals. the same for anybody who might do some work for you I reckon. no offence meant here. Happy gardening.

This won't work either. Anyone can bull**** over a cup of tea or a pint.

You need to research anyone doing work for you particularly when its a few days work whether through facebook pages or word of mouth.

Kencobean wrote: »
    Hi.
    Now I don't care if they are Travellers or not before all the discriminatory comments come in,just wondering has anyone ever had experience with them carrying out gardening/landscape work? (West,south west)

IV been trying for weeks now to find someone to come out and give me a quote,but one after another they either don't show,don't ring or can't be arsed getting back to me.
    The back garden is in bits,and with big dogs in and out from their it can be a mud bath sometimes.

So after again putting out an ad,I got a call with someone who will call next day, yes sounds like a Traveller,but to be fair most of us in Ireland do,and I don't really care if they are,I'm just worried about the job being done somewhat properly and not a huge cost..

You know what, the fact the OP says "sounds like a traveller" has this whole thread throwing out all sorts.

con747 wrote: »
    You know what, the fact the OP says "sounds like a traveller" has this whole thread throwing out all sorts.

You know what?
    I'd reckon it's the thread title more than anything else.

You know what?
    I'd reckon it's the thread title more than anything else.

Agree

I was working in house and the owner gave me a loan of an a frame ladder.
    The ladder was covered in muck.
    He told me he had paid them to powerwash his drive so the started at the road and washed up the driveway and blasted all the muck into his garage then closed the door.
    He didn't know until he had paid them.

I know of another woman who was intimidated into giving them 400 to wash a tiny drive.she has her own powerwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, forget about whether they are travelers or not. Make sure to check previous work and references, ideally from someone you know.

Loads of cowboys out there, travelers or otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Kencobean wrote: »
    Hi.

Depends on what you're looking for done op.
    If gardeners aren't calling to see you it's because the weather is, so ****e and most gardens in the sw/W are far too wet to be messing in after the weather for the last month, you mention a mud bath yourself.
    Get a pro in, not someone youre not sure of.
    A pro will stand over his work.
    If you do get a gang of travellers and a **** job done I wish you luck telling them they're not getting paid till its right.

Advertisement