Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers doing landscaping work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just remember the best ones will be completely booked out for months in advance because of their track record

so best to wait

Don't let the other shower onto your property

Their bridges are well and truly burnt at this stage with the population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 haydeyhi

Dead horses found every few month from them in Kilkenny starved to death and ridden to death.

They might try bury a few in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

The ‘ sounds like a traveller’ but is relevant. We have all heard about episodes of shoddy work and/or intimidation. Also, have heard of work being done but just an opportunity for scoping for future thefts.

But I have had quite satisfactory work done on two occasions by lads who sound like travellers - in both cases they were well settled.
    One was a guy I know who did a good bit of tarmac for me, ok job, and would use him again.
    Other was a guy who cold called about power washing. He had fliers dropped before, and gave me names of a few neighbours he had worked for - I checked one of these references, got him (and his son) to do the job. No regrets, grand lad, genuine people, definitely settled a while I reckon, but the twang lasts a generation or two at least. They still call occasionally to know if I want more work done, and I will use them again.

I wouldn’t disagree with previous posters either about the potential for getting burned, just I’m a bit alarmed with the severity / vitriol in some posts. Those of traveller heritage, trying to get on with a decent life have to swim against a pretty strong current of somewhat understandable bias.

To the OP, I’d be a bit wary, particularly as they’re responding to your ad. Definitely get references over the phone, and check them out before having them over.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    You're not.
    Look I'm friends with a few travellers and they would bend over backwards to help me out when I need,it's just that I know them and I know they will pull all sorts of scams on someone they don't give a toss about.
    Obviously that's just 1 persons experience (mine) but that's how I see the OP issue.
    Don't do it unless you know them.
    Feck it id tell the OP to go for a pint or 2 with them first before they let them near the garden,get to know them there not that bad if your on good terms with them :)

Why are you friends with crooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kencobean

A quick update, I had him out for a quote.
    I suppose phone calls can be deceiving.
    I believe he may be a Traveller or just from limerick can't tell haha,but he is an older man, respectable,was straight to it,knew what he was on about with foundation and stuff,and even advised against some thing and gave ideas, very good price considering......so I might give the man a chance,like I said I have no problem with Travellers,but want it done properly.
    Last time we got in "proper" electricians and it was very shoddy work for a "big"company,and cost ALOT.so a bit hesitant with big money being paid to people since then.

If we do go with them il post an update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

I remain calm. I am not upset in the slightest. it is my opinion that your advice is far too generic and therefore essentially meaningless.

I realise I am probably coming across as a bit of a prick on this thread,, but the point I am making is that we have to careful about the generalisation of people. some specific examples have been given. fair enough. this should be encouraged. call out the cowboys and leave space for those who are trying to change things.

Why do we have to be careful about generalisation? Should the OP suffer just because there is a 1 percent chance he won't get the usual traveller. People like you boil my blood

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Why do we have to be careful about generalisation?

Are you interested in the answer or is that a rhetorical question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kencobean wrote: »
    A quick update, I had him out for a quote.
    I suppose phone calls can be deceiving.
    I believe he may be a Traveller or just from limerick can't tell haha,but he is an older man, respectable,was straight to it,knew what he was on about with foundation and stuff,and even advised against some thing and gave ideas, very good price considering......so I might give the man a chance,like I said I have no problem with Travellers,but want it done properly.
    Last time we got in "proper" electricians and it was very shoddy work for a "big"company,and cost ALOT.so a bit hesitant with big money being paid to people since then.

If we do go with them il post an update

OP said gardening. This post says foundation.
    Don't get anyone in this country to do anything without seeing previous work.
    Don't let anyone work on your premises with seeing their insurance and reading it to see that it covers the type of work involved.

OP said gardening. This post says foundation.
    Don't get anyone in this country to do anything without seeing previous work.
    Don't let anyone work on your premises with seeing their insurance and reading it to see that it covers the type of work involved.

I'm getting rid of all the grass and putting a patio + gravel/stones in instead....hence why I just mentioned foundation in that post.

It was just a quick question to see if anybody had work done

I'm not trying to knock the travellers, but often times they are aware that they're not liked, and will generally make an effort to send the most professional looking/sounding out to agree a job, and then the 'normal' travellers follow afterwards to do the actual job itself.

My experience with them is not direct, as I never used them, but a nearby friend of a friend got them to do gutters and cleaning and power washing before. He said they were professional and courteous and he thought they were grand.

But he did say it wasn't an anjoyable experience - anytime someone asked to use the toilet or wanted a drink of water, he said he was on-edge waiting for stuff to disappear or go missing from the house. Said he couldn't relax at all, but he doesn't actually think they stole anything.

So I suppose a lot of it simply comes down to what you have in your own head before they start.

There are so many horror stories that I genuinely don't know why they even bother anymore with this kind of work, considering the dreadful reputation they have. I know I wouldn't use them, but i admit that's probably a bit unfair, and I do legitimately sympathise with the good travellers out there who are stigmatized through no fault of their own.

But their reputation is well-earned, so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

The age of equality. Makes you a sitting duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I'm getting rid of all the grass and putting a patio + gravel/stones in instead....hence why I just mentioned foundation in that post.

It was just a quick question to see if anybody had work done
    There's a lad here beside me does that but wouldn't be a gardner so your post was misleading.
    Not near you so wouldn't matter, but you might have missed a few recommendations over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Used them once and would never use again, chopped the tress and took the remnants, along with my lawnmower!

Did better than a neighbor of mine not only did they take the lawnmower out of the shed but they took shed and all

There's a lad here beside me does that but wouldn't be a gardner so your post was misleading.
    Not near you so wouldn't matter, but you might have missed a few recommendations over that.

Is that not landscaping 🙄
    I put it in here cause it was the most relevant thread

harr wrote: »
    Did better than a neighbor of mine not only did they take the lawnmower out of the shed but they took shed and all

Haha sorry, I know it's bad,that did make me laugh though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Is that not landscaping 🙄
    I put it in here cause it was the most relevant thread

Fair enough. And I wish you luck with your job.

Just be careful if you have soil to be removed as to where they tip it, if it's tipped illegally you will be responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If no neighbours, friends or relations can recommend someone to do the work you might try asking at the local garden centre if they can give you a contact.

Advertisement