Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Definitely it'll make ppl in the area cop on ,be aware and change

Cluster locations don’t matter now with the restrictions. Treat everyone including yourself as if you have it.

If you’re told to self isolate then do so, and if you’re not a critical worker stay home.

Overall this will keep you and your household as safe as you can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

MrDerp wrote: »
    Cluster locations don’t matter now with the restrictions. Treat everyone including yourself as if you have it.

If you’re told to self isolate then do so, and if you’re not a critical worker stay home.

TBH I was in the local park twice yesterday ( outdoor gym thingy in Carrigaline) and from Lidl to the park no one wearing 🧀 gloves or face mask, either in the park or anywhere around Lidl, Dunnes,so I really wonder are people copping on( I had mine on as I'm genuinely afraid of picking it up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Masks do not stop you from getting the virus. They only help if (God Forbid) you already have it and stops it from spreading further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Masks do not stop you from getting the virus.
    Unless used properly, in an environment which huge exposure to the virus. Neither of which apply to most people.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Unless used properly, in an environment which huge exposure to the virus. Neither of which apply to most people.

You would need a mask of sufficient quality with a filter according to the pharmacist I spoke to at Irwins. Most of them aren't, so would be fairly useless.

• Advertisement

TBH I was in the local park twice yesterday ( outdoor gym thingy in Carrigaline) and from Lidl to the park no one wearing �� gloves or face mask, either in the park or anywhere around Lidl, Dunnes,so I really wonder are people copping on( I had mine on as I'm genuinely afraid of picking it up)

Both are in short supply, and probably aren't of the right quality to do much. If I need to go out, I wash my hands before going, carry wipes and wash again when I return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    i actually asked the girl behind the counter "are ye taking them out of a box and repackaging them into these plastic bags?".. (they are just in a small plastic bag - like the ones you get in the airport).. and she said "yeah"..

I said "gee ye must be making a killing on them eh?!".. and she kinda laughed and said.. "yeah I guess"..

I found an article on the echo - some TDs wer giving out about companies ripping off the public eg. extortionate prices for hand sanitiser etc..

I emailed one of them about..

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-TDs-call-for-price-caps-on-essential-items-to-stop-retailers-exploiting-the-coronavirus-outbreak-9fa7dec7-2086-4202-a007-885c16ac844b-ds

So, you don't know how much they paid for the masks.
    Why didn't you buy them cheaply from amazon?
    Maybe because you couldn't get them cheap.
    Perhaps the pharmacy couldn't source them cheaply either?

So, tell me, how much did the pharmacy pay for the masks and what profit margin were they making and how does it compare to their regular margin?

TBH I was in the local park twice yesterday ( outdoor gym thingy in Carrigaline) and from Lidl to the park no one wearing 🧀 gloves or face mask, either in the park or anywhere around Lidl, Dunnes,so I really wonder are people copping on( I had mine on as I'm genuinely afraid of picking it up)

Masks and gloves are not recommended by any Irish authority or the WHO.
    What exactly are people not copping on to?

Wash your hands. Keep your distance from people outside of your household.
    These things will keep you safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

So, you don't know how much they paid for the masks.
    Why didn't you buy them cheaply from amazon?
    Maybe because you couldn't get them cheap.
    Perhaps the pharmacy couldn't source them cheaply either?

So, tell me, how much did the pharmacy pay for the masks and what profit margin were they making and how does it compare to their regular margin?

just out of interest, why are you playing devils advocate on this? did you not read the article?
    so you think the TD's are wasting their time?
    and there is a lot of conflicting evidence around the masks - the quality of these masks aI bought are so low that the pharmacy probably know that they are no use - so they are really being nasty by selling something to the vulnerable public when they know they are no use - and could even be a hazard if used incorrectly..
    have contacted the pharmacy - waiting for them to get back to me!

just out of interest, why are you playing devils advocate !

To repeat myself.
    YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY PAID FOR THE MASKS.
    You are publicly accusing a business of cynical, sharp practice with NO evidence.

The retailer is just one of many elements in the supply chain.

That article also has no evidence.

Also, if the masks were so unsuitable as to be worse than useless, why did you buy them?

• Advertisement

Masks do not stop you from getting the virus. They only help if (God Forbid) you already have it and stops it from spreading further.

That's the point though most ppl out don't know if they have or not, that's why it's imperative to wear one at all times, again today in the park in Carrigaline I was the only one wearing mask and gloves,bar one ol doll who had gloves on

That's the point though most ppl out don't know if they have or not, that's why it's imperative to wear one at all times, again today in the park in Carrigaline I was the only one wearing mask and gloves,bar one ol doll who had gloves on
    And how many people were literally within spitting distance of people from other households for more than a second or two?

Both are in short supply, and probably aren't of the right quality to do much. If I need to go out, I wash my hands before going, carry wipes and wash again when I return.

Good point ref supply

And how many people were literally within spitting distance of people from other households for more than a second or two?

A few dopes who clearly don't know/ care about social distancing ,yes most ppl adhere,but some won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,194 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MrDerp wrote: »

If I knew there was a cluster in my area I would restrict my movement outside even more, at present just out for shopping and medicine when needed

I think it would be good to know, yes assume everyone has it and anyone who has it confirmed is isolating quarantining but some might not be staying in

I think the pub cluster is in Tralee

i actually asked the girl behind the counter "are ye taking them out of a box and repackaging them into these plastic bags?".. (they are just in a small plastic bag - like the ones you get in the airport).. and she said "yeah"..

I said "gee ye must be making a killing on them eh?!".. and she kinda laughed and said.. "yeah I guess"..

I found an article on the echo - some TDs wer giving out about companies ripping off the public eg. extortionate prices for hand sanitiser etc..

I emailed one of them about..

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-TDs-call-for-price-caps-on-essential-items-to-stop-retailers-exploiting-the-coronavirus-outbreak-9fa7dec7-2086-4202-a007-885c16ac844b-ds
    To repeat myself.
    YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY PAID FOR THE MASKS.
    You are publicly accusing a business of cynical, sharp practice with NO evidence.

The retailer is just one of many elements in the supply chain.

That article also has no evidence.

Also, if the masks were so unsuitable as to be worse than useless, why did you buy them?

I don't have the time or inclination to argue with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If I knew there was a cluster in my area I would restrict my movement outside even more, at present just out for shopping and medicine when needed

I think it would be good to know, yes assume everyone has it and anyone who has it confirmed is isolating quarantining but some might not be staying in

I think the pub cluster is in Tralee

Yes. Some might not be staying in, whether they know they have a virus or not. So....

Treat everyone as if they have it and maintain social distancing. My wife and I walked the dogs this evening and people are kindly going around cars, or we are, when we meet them on the footpath. They treat me like I’m sick, and that they themselves are sick, and it works! We all stay 2m apart.

At present you’re just out for shopping and medicine? Excellent, you are doing everything you can to keep you and others safe. Short of starving or a bigger shop, that’s it. I’m shopping once a week. No point in a bigger shop as I’d spend twice as long in there.

Stay safe and look yourself. Skip the news and don’t bother second guessing if your neighbour has a cluster in their gaff. Eat well, exercise once a day and you’ll ensure that if you get it you’re in good shape to shake it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

The test centre in pairc ui caoimh was closed again today. Are they testing at all there like

The test centre in pairc ui caoimh was closed again today. Are they testing at all there like

FFS :mad: this is a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Was closed sunday to. Not sure about monday

they had to close as they ran out of the reagent needed to do the test - was on the news last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Was just listening to 96fm, what’s this €40 that AIB took out of people bank accounts today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

fin12 wrote: »
    Was just listening to 96fm, what’s this €40 that AIB took out of people bank accounts today?

They are still taking out bank charges as usual and people who've gone overdrawn because of lack of wages etc have had charges levied which the bank took as soon as the €350 covid payment hit their accounts

It ran out of kits, thats why they've changed the criteria to two symptoms for testing. Will reopen as soon as the kits get distributed that are coming into Dublin

The same thing that happens every 3 months has happened again. Sure it would be nice of AIB to skip fees this quarter but I don't know why lots of people seem so surprised by it. I guess there might be overdraft charges that they wouldn't have previously accrued.

The same thing that happens every 3 months has happened again. Sure it would be nice of AIB to skip fees this quarter but I don't know why lots of people seem so surprised by it. I guess there might be overdraft charges that they wouldn't have previously accrued.

I think thats the main point, a lot of people are overdrawn as a result of the work situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

That Varadkar is an awful langer. He was on yesterday praising China for having done such a great job in defeating the virus. I read today that the Chinese people believe that there could be at least 40,000 deaths there in Wuhan, even though the official figure is 3,000 odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I asked because I’m not with AIB, caught the tell end of what they were talking about on 96fm. I don’t know what u mean same thing happens every 3 months.

• Advertisement

I asked because I’m not with AIB, caught the tell end of what they were talking about on 96fm. I don’t know what u mean same thing happens every 3 months.
    Quarterly fees, most banks have them.

Advertisement