Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

TheChizler wrote: »
    Bars and restaurants accounted for 27% of cases at their height IIRC, must see if I can find the stat. Think about it, you go for dinner with your friends, you're put sitting next to each other for 90 minutes no mask. Pretty much guaranteed transmission if one person has it.

Close the pubs/restaurants and they’ll just have dinner/coffee at each other’s houses instead, which is far riskier and a less controlled environment.
    If lockdown round 2 has shown us anything so far it’s that people won’t forego spending time with family and friends indefinitely.
    There will be far more people having little dinner parties and coffee mornings if they don’t allow indoor dining, it won’t stop people, it will just make them sneakier and more creative. Transmission will still occur, it will just be in private homes rather than businesses.

The only difference is with the pubs/restaurants closed or operating at a reduced capacity, there’s thousands of more people unemployed and out of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not arguing what the right thing to do is, just saying they account for a concerning amount of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This thread was interesting as it was Cork related. Now unfortunately, it may as well be in the main covid forum as it has just degenerated into a general discussion on the merits, or lack thereof, of government measures. Let's get back to Cork related issues please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Cork Lass wrote: »
    You’re being way too harsh here. The majority of people complied, if not 100% then close enough for it not to matter.

Your response perfectly underscores my point. You think it doesn’t matter when the data and the expert interpretation of that data shows us that it does matter. It all matters to a greater or lesser extent. It’s very convenient to blame the reckless idiots who go to house parties. It’s not so convenient to blame our family member who just gets a bit sloppy sometimes and forgets.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Close the pubs/restaurants and they’ll just have dinner/coffee at each other’s houses instead, which is far riskier and a less controlled environment.
    If lockdown round 2 has shown us anything so far it’s that people won’t forego spending time with family and friends indefinitely.
    There will be far more people having little dinner parties and coffee mornings if they don’t allow indoor dining, it won’t stop people, it will just make them sneakier and more creative. Transmission will still occur, it will just be in private homes rather than businesses.

Odd that you have such low expectations of people when, within the last page or so, you have thanked posts by people claiming that the vast majority of people have complied with the rules. Is boredom and lockdown fatigue really going to turn all those impeccable saints into rebellious devils?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

cantalach wrote: »
    Odd that you have such low expectations of people when, within the last page or so, you have thanked posts by people claiming that the vast majority of people have complied with the rules. Is boredom and lockdown fatigue really going to turn all those impeccable saints into rebellious devils?

I think up till now the vast majority of people have complied and done their bit. I don’t think that’s the case any longer.
    I think a lot of the people who followed the restrictions to the letter last time round are making exceptions for themselves this time around, and more will do so if this lockdown continues into 2021 as expected.

I can’t see anyone ‘staying at home’ and avoiding their friends and family over the Christmas season after the sh*tshow 2020 has been, whether the government permits it or not.
    I stand by my theory that if they keep restaurants and bars closed indefinitely people will just meet up privately at home, they won’t forego seeing their friends/family for an undetermined length of time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s very convenient to blame the reckless idiots who go to house parties. It’s not so convenient to blame our family member who just gets a bit sloppy sometimes and forgets.

I actually think you are trolling now, just provoking people for fun or maybe you’re just bored. I’ll continue to blame the reckless idiots as they are the problem and the spreaders of this disease. Not one of my family has had COVID or even been a close contact (because we are complying) so we must be doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The Banks of the River Lee Walk (at the top of North Mall, before going up the hill to Sunday's Well) closes at 6pm in October and (I think) closes at 5pm from November.

There's no place near us (Sunday's Well) to take a pleasant walk in the evenings now. During Lockdown 1, we would walk the Banks of the River Lee Walk, then up to the Mardyke Areana, Lee Fields and back.

Now, the only have decent route is to go around by the Pres school and back round via Sunday's Well Road. During the height of winter (dark), I'm not keen on walking along Sunday's Well Road...

Is there anyone to contact about potentially extending opening hours during Lockdown 2?

FWIW, Cllr Des Cahill will be lobbying Eamon Ryan for immediate funding & installation of lighting for The Marina.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Temporary-lights-to-be-requested-for-the-Marina-4171fa4b-4503-40db-8053-c1ea6627285c-ds?fbclid=IwAR13i0qhXeGQ2Rr7IgfGrtnIp3djCN1rJRBy8pdXCkFocWi2y_ekRVAr5ss

I'm nearly certain I read a similar article on FB this morning suggesting Cllr Cahill will also lobby for lighting in Fitzgerald's Park & other parks/amenities in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭PreCocious

FWIW, Cllr Des Cahill will be lobbying Eamon Ryan for immediate funding & installation of lighting for The Marina.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Temporary-lights-to-be-requested-for-the-Marina-4171fa4b-4503-40db-8053-c1ea6627285c-ds?fbclid=IwAR13i0qhXeGQ2Rr7IgfGrtnIp3djCN1rJRBy8pdXCkFocWi2y_ekRVAr5ss

I'm nearly certain I read a similar article on FB this morning suggesting Cllr Cahill will also lobby for lighting in Fitzgerald's Park & other parks/amenities in the city.

The good councillor would be better off lobbying his buddies in the GAA who received planning permission for Pairc ui Chaoimh with one of the conditions being that they pay towards illuminating the Marina.

Like many of the conditions attached to the development it was ignored and the local taxpayer will end up footing the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday, I was in a bit of a world of my own and went into Lidl without a mask on and walked around the shop for about 5 minutes with no mask before I woke up and realised.
    No one said a word to me. A security guard held me at the top of the stairs and waved me on when the numbers allowed. Why didn't he point out that I had no mask on? I wish security staff in shops would challenge people for not wearing masks.
    This "breathing difficulties" is mostly complete bullshlt. I know people with asthma and emphysema who wear masks no problem. No one likes wearing a mask - get over yourselves and wear a mask!!

• Advertisement

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I actually think you are trolling now, just provoking people for fun or maybe you’re just bored. I’ll continue to blame the reckless idiots as they are the problem and the spreaders of this disease. Not one of my family has had COVID or even been a close contact (because we are complying) so we must be doing something right.

And I continue to blame the house party set too. That’s why I called them reckless idiots. But they are not solely to blame, and the scientific data supports that. Most responsible people have broken the rules to a greater or lesser extent at some point.

In Dunnes yesterday, I saw maybe 8-10 people of all ages not wearing their masks properly. Every single one of them is contributing to the problem. A well known sports club close to me had underage training on Saturday and a lot of kids got lifts with friends from other households. Again, all those parents are contributing to the problem

As I say, it is too easy to blame only the truly reckless for the problem and ignore the contribution from the rest of us. Very, very few of us are entirely compliant and every non-compliance, no matter how minor, carries risk. I’m genuinely sorry if that offends people but that is my sincere belief. I’ve been on boards a long time and this is the first time I’ve been accused of trolling.

Great that the campaign for lighting only kicks up a gear after the clocks have already gone back.

Great that the campaign for lighting only kicks up a gear after the clocks have already gone back.

TBF, it was covered in the Echo at least 3 weeks ago and suggests he's been on about it before that.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Councillor-urges-street-lighting-for-joggers-and-walkers-on-Corks-Marina-82b1a3af-f182-4d2b-b6fe-29130829dabc-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I have an NCT test on the 29th, 20km away from home in Little Island. What's the story here? Are we allowed go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

NCT deemed essential I believe

But wasn't it put on hold during the last lockdown? People's deadlines were extended by 3 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

But wasn't it put on hold during the last lockdown? People's deadlines were extended by 3 months or so.

They're still operating. I got my PSC today, but those appointments were not allowed during last lockdown

Speaking of masks earlier in this thread - there is an Irish company producing disposable, medical grade face masks.

https://measc.com/collections/all

They are currently priced at €20 for a box of 50 (plus €6 delivery), so it works out at much better value than getting them from Boots. Plus, they are made in Ireland by an Irish company.

I've put in an order for two boxes, so would expect them by end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,842 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the subject of who is and isn't complying... it's easy to create a "them" in our minds as the minority causing all the trouble with raging house parties and such... But if you look at something like the Blackrock celebrations, that's just a town full of people of all different sorts. See the videos, there's every demographic represented there, and I think a fairly average cross section of what you'd see in any small town in Ireland. People from Blackrock are not particularly different from people in Rochestown, or Douglas, or Ballincollig. So what that tells us I think is that a substantial portion of the average population was one event or reason away from taking extra risks.

Now, change that situation from a big highly visible celebration in the streets, and instead make it a whole bunch of little gatherings that 'feel' ok while still being outside the rules (someones birthday, a little gathering after communion or confirmation etc etc), and I think that's where a lot of our rising numbers have come from.

I got it myself as a delayed by-product of one such gathering, where too many people from too many households went to dinner. It spread amongst themselves, and to the staff. A week later (on my first meal out with 2 friends in 6 months!) I then got it from the staff. I think at the start of that process, each of those people would have thought they were being cautious 'enough'. The restaurant was doing all the right things - good table spacing, all staff wore masks etc. But this thing is very contagious, and doing most of the right things isn't always enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

130 in Cork today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

130 in Cork today.

Hopefully a drop soon. Can't really imagine where there would be community spread now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,153 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

130 in Cork today.

Weekend backlog?

What's our hospitals like currently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Weekend backlog?

What's our hospitals like currently?
    CUH has most in country - 30 with 4 in ICU.
    Most if not all are not admissions - they caught it in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,153 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the baby ok? :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the baby ok? :(
    No idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thats shocking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Does anyone know where the testing centres are?

I live in the city centre but do not drive.

I don't want the testers visiting my grotty apartment!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the testing centres are?

I live in the city centre but do not drive.

I don't want the testers visiting my grotty apartment!
    North Link Business Park & South Douglas road

North Link Business Park & South Douglas road

Perfect, thanks ACE.
    I can walk to South Douglas road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Perfect, thanks ACE.
    I can walk to South Douglas road.
    You don't get a choice unfortunately, and there's no obvious way to change location on the system they use. If you can't easily get there the army seem to pick you up.
    Screenshot-20201028-000001-Chrome.jpg

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    You don't get a choice unfortunately, and there's no obvious way to change location on the system they use. If you can't easily get there the army..

Jeez i hope there's no need for that. I feel very well, just some minor symptoms.

I can easily walk to the Blackpool one too.

Very much thanks for letting me know!

Advertisement