Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    May I ask why have you been 7 times?

No problem.
    I’ve just realised it’s actually been 8 times not 7
    We have 3 children 2 of which have been tested twice in September and in October as had temps and coughs.
    Another one of our children had a temp and therefore tested
    My husband had to be tested as he developed a bad cough in Sep
    I have been tested twice due to a dry cough and shortness of breath once in Sep and again this month ( I have asthma)
    With the isolation guidelines our children have already exceeded the max 20days absence from school allowance (I think it’s 20days?)
    I’d imagine a lot of families with children have already had a good few trips to a test centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ludo wrote: »
    Yes...they locked down pretty harshly in NZ twice. Parts of Oz just out of a 112 day lockdown. We are now in our second one also. How is that different? I bet they will be needing another also eventually.

Not too sure about SE Asia but I am guessing they are much better at obeying rules than us and a lockdown actually means a lockdown unlike what we have here now. No approach has really worked at all yet. Japan is a strange one. They managed to get off very lightly but no one seems to know why really.

Daughter in Perth reckons they did a good job containing it but Melbourne is a different story

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They’re also crammed into classrooms indoors together all day 5 days a week, so probably don’t really see any logic in a distinction of after school behaviour to suddenly split apart.

Yeah good point but same things were acting exactly the same during school closures, albeit not as many

Ludo wrote: »
    Yes...they locked down pretty harshly in NZ twice. Parts of Oz just out of a 112 day lockdown. We are now in our second one also. How is that different? I bet they will be needing another also eventually.

Not too sure about SE Asia but I am guessing they are much better at obeying rules than us and a lockdown actually means a lockdown unlike what we have here now. No approach has really worked at all yet. Japan is a strange one. They managed to get off very lightly but no one seems to know why really.

Daughter in Perth reckons they did a good job containing it but Melbourne is a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

86 today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thank you!

Slightly disappointed that im still vulnerable to the virus! But yes, it is good news.

I think most of us will get this eventually. Sad to say.

I usually get some chest cold this time of year, and after being so careful not to contract covid, i have managed to pick up the traditional type of Coronavirus!

Just goes to show how easily some viruses spread, or how I'm still doing something wrong.
    In fairness the turnaround time’s for test results is quite good.
    We had one of our child’s results within 7 hours of a test- (fastest) and 36 hours was the longest time we’ve had to wait
    We’ve now been to the test centre 7 times since September- negative each time thankfully.

Take Care Everyone

Family member has unfortunately tested positive. Contact tracing was a lot quicker then I expected, I got a text message while she was still on the phone and a call 2 minutes later (as did the rest of the fam, we were all on the phone at the same time and they all rang one after another!), just waiting for the confirmation of my test time now.

Family member has unfortunately tested positive. Contact tracing was a lot quicker then I expected, I got a text message while she was still on the phone and a call 2 minutes later (as did the rest of the fam, we were all on the phone at the same time and they all rang one after another!), just waiting for the confirmation of my test time now.

Good luck, I hope negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Best wishes.
    Any idea where said family member caught it?

Best wishes.
    Any idea where said family member caught it?

Nope! We've all been careful so are a bit shocked really! Just had a bad headache and a slight cough so went to see and has it. Could only be a workplace, was last in there Monday last week...

Edit: they've messed up somehow and given one of us a testing location in Galway :/ well that's awkward

Edit 2: a quick call to the HSE sorted it and test time now same as mine. Just said I'll do any updates incase people are wondering the speed of it and stuff. Efficient so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone know if u are going for an ultrasound/scan, do u have to have a Covid test first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

fin12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if u are going for an ultrasound/scan, do u have to have a Covid test first?

It was back in April and part of the maternity hospital but at that point you didnt, and wouldnt expect that has changed tbh - though maybe it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

No, only for surgery. You'll have to wear a mask and they'll ask you the Covid questions beforehand.

84 cases today

Corks incidence rate has now dropped below 300, down to 278

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I went for an ultrasound of my pelvis back in august and I didn’t then, just had to wear a mask and show up on time etc. No idea what the protocols are if it’s maternity related, though.

Result back already, under 24 hours. Negative thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

23 in Cork, now we’re talking ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sonrisa wrote: »

We sure are, with such low numbers.

Sonrisa wrote: »

Well that is a great drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If it stays around that number I see little to no justification for keeping us in full level 5 for another month.
    They should gradually allow industries reopen on a weekly basis so that there isn’t a huge uptick in December, both from people mixing more from cabin fever and from everyone wanting to avail of all the same services at the one time after being without them for so long - hairdressers and retail in particular will be extremely busy next month, and allowing them to open a little earlier will make it safer because there won’t be such a high demand.

We surely learned from the first time round that keeping things closed while cases are low is a big mistake. If this trend continues for another week or so they should allow gyms & hairdressers reopen, then non essential retail, and then finally indoor restaurants.
    Otherwise cases will just explode in December again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If it stays around that number I see little to no justification for keeping us in full level 5 for another month.
    They should gradually allow industries reopen on a weekly basis so that there isn’t a huge uptick in December, both from people mixing more from cabin fever and from everyone wanting to avail of all the same services at the one time after being without them for so long - hairdressers and retail in particular will be extremely busy next month, and allowing them to open a little earlier will make it safer because there won’t be such a high demand.

We surely learned from the first time round that keeping things closed while cases are low is a big mistake. If this trend continues for another week or so they should allow gyms & hairdressers reopen, then non essential retail, and then finally indoor restaurants.
    "We're just not quite there yet"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Had one at the Mater last week, no test, just mask and a few questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't think opening retail anytime soon is a great idea, I think saying there won't be a great demand is understating it. I think retail open now there'd be a pretty decent rush, both because of people doing early Christmas stuff and also just because it's open, the very opening of stores will certainly bring people who just want to go out somewhere, which is understandable of course, but dangerous. I don't think it will be a slow uptick towards Deember, I think you'd get a higher footfall in places under these circumstances than you might usually see at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not convinced retail was ever an issue, especially with controlled queueing and capacities. The nature of shopping where you only briefly are in close contact with other people is fundamentally different to what we've been told is the issue from day one; prolonged close contact. Bars and restaurants on the other hand unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not convinced retail was ever an issue, especially with controlled queueing and capacities. The nature of shopping where you only briefly are in close contact with other people is fundamentally different to what we've been told is the issue from day one; prolonged close contact. Bars and restaurants on the other hand unfortunately...

Retail was never an issue, definitely not in big shops with high ceiling s, if it was there would have been more cases from staff (obviously the most likely to catch it as they have contact with thousands of customers) even before we started wearing masks staff in supermarkets were less likely to catch the virus than the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

SusieBlue wrote: »

Fully agree with you.

What happened to Leo’s famous “We have too learn to live alongside the virus” speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

20 cases in a place as big as Cork is nothing. 300 or so countrywide is also small. Even Dublin was under 100 yesterday. If that trend continues, government will be under pressure to open up early.

They said they were going to review after 4 weeks anyway but they should bring that forward for retail. If we stay in low double digits for a full week, they can’t justify having 1000s out of work. I’d love to see the data for retail transmission, the risk can’t be big if protocols are being followed.

They should open up on a regional basis too if needs be. Some counties are better than others.

All results back now, all negative (bar the OG positive haha)! 2 results through GP, two from HSE which is strange! No information on a follow-up test, anybody know how that works? Some people need one and others don't get told to get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

The Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said that the reproduction rate at which Covid-19 is transmitted has now dropped to below 1 to between 0.7 and 0.9. 

It is time too accelerate opening the country back up

Advertisement