Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said that the reproduction rate at which Covid-19 is transmitted has now dropped to below 1 to between 0.7 and 0.9. 

It is time too accelerate opening the country back up

Basically level 3 was working, was no need for a level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said that the reproduction rate at which Covid-19 is transmitted has now dropped to below 1 to between 0.7 and 0.9. 

It is time too accelerate opening the country back up

So we can be back on lockdown again before December 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

fin12 wrote: »
    Basically level 3 was working, was no need for a level 5.

For most counties it would appear so. For us (& Dublin), not so sure. It was a delayed reaction at least.

Towards the end of October we were still at 100+ most days. This drop yesterday is almost 2 weeks into level 5 though.

I can’t put my finger on why. Traffic around the place didn’t seem quieter in L5 & with almost everything closed, I can only assume people were visiting each other’s houses. Can’t see the 5km making much difference. Bars/Restaurants were outdoor only before L5. The drop in cases did coincide with midterm but don’t know if that’s a coincidence. Are the cases by age and county available anywhere?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    So we can be back on lockdown again before December 1st?

Well it depends on what we open & when.

Opening retail next week would probably be safe enough. Pubs - they should open on the 23th Dec, let us go wild for a week :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

48 in Cork today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    For most counties it would appear so. For us (& Dublin), not so sure. It was a delayed reaction at least.

Towards the end of October we were still at 100+ most days. This drop yesterday is almost 2 weeks into level 5 though.
    Just eyeballing the graph Cork cases dropped off around October 20th, whatever caused the drop would have happened a week or two before given the time it takes to contact trace or develop symptoms, arrange a test, get results, and report everything. So <sticks finger in air> around October 8th give or take a week. When did Level 3 happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

48 in Cork today.

Great to see numbers on the decline - read today these national figures ... 25 hospitalizations in 24 hr is not a good sign ?

25 additional hospitalizations in the last 24 hours.

41 in ICU.

310 in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

whatever76 wrote: »
    Great to see numbers on the decline - read today these national figures ... 25 hospitalizations in 24 hr is not a good sign ?

41 in ICU.

310 in hospital.

But I think there was 21 discharges in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

whatever76 wrote: »

41 in ICU.

310 in hospital.
    There was 313 in hospital last night, so numbers have decreased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

20 cases in a place as big as Cork is nothing. 300 or so countrywide is also small. Even Dublin was under 100 yesterday. If that trend continues, government will be under pressure to open up early.

They said they were going to review after 4 weeks anyway but they should bring that forward for retail. If we stay in low double digits for a full week, they can’t justify having 1000s out of work. I’d love to see the data for retail transmission, the risk can’t be big if protocols are being followed.

They should open up on a regional basis too if needs be. Some counties are better than others.

Michael Martin said at FF PP meeting tonight that lockdown will last for 6 weeks. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well it depends on what we open & when.

Opening retail next week would probably be safe enough. Pubs - they should open on the 23th Dec, let us go wild for a week :-)

I don't think pubs will be open for Christmas unless for food

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I don't think pubs will be open for Christmas unless for food

Turkey sandwich & 12 pints

Michael Martin said at FF PP meeting tonight that lockdown will last for 6 weeks. Hmmmm

Hmmm indeed!
    Is he just saying that so people don’t get complacent?

He doesn’t know what the situation will be come the middle of this month. How can he make that decision today? If cases nationally drop to 100 by then & the R0 is at 0.5, how the fûck can they keep everything closed. Nonsense.

Imagine if the case numbers in Cork are down around 10 daily by then & we’re expected to stay within 5km etc... We’ll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hmmm indeed!
    Is he just saying that so people don’t get complacent?

He doesn’t know what the situation will be come the middle of this month. How can he make that decision today? If cases nationally drop to 100 by then & the R0 is at 0.5, how the fûck can they keep everything closed. Nonsense.

Imagine if the case numbers in Cork are down around 10 daily by then & we’re expected to stay within 5km etc... We’ll see.

Public support is already poor but compliant. There's not much left in people for this, especially with little evidence.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40076174.html

Wonder will similar cases happen after the rushed Covid vaccine.

531807.JPG

Here's our cases since the start of October.

The 231 was our worst one day total & that came 12 days into level 3. We had 162 cases on the 29th, which was 3 weeks after level 3 was introduced. It's only the last 5 days, we've been consistently under the 100 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

TheDriver wrote: »
    Public support is already poor but compliant. There's not much left in people for this, especially with little evidence.

That’s why Level 5 was introduced with a 4 week review scheduled.

Hospitals Update
    16 in CUH (22 this time last week) with 4 in ICU (No change)

2 in Mercy (7 this time last week) with 1 in ICU (2 this time last week)

With levels below 100 cases/day nationwide I'd imagine L3 restrictions would keep that under control but only if house parties and lots of house visits was kept to a minimum.

No one was catching it in retail environments and very few in restaurants IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Augeo wrote: »
    With levels below 100 cases/day nationwide I'd imagine L3 restrictions would keep that under control but only if house parties and lots of house visits was kept to a minimum.

I always felt that there must be significant spread in restaurants etc. Anyone i know who was at a pub or restaurant went with friends as opposed to household only so would have been sitting directly next to or across from people outside house. Surely was spread there as much as within peoples homes?

• Advertisement

seefin wrote: »
    I always felt that there must be significant spread in restaurants etc. Anyone i know who was at a pub or restaurant went with friends as opposed to household only so would have been sitting directly next to or across from people outside house. Surely was spread there as much as within peoples homes?

I only went with with my household.
    Also more people go home then go to restaurants so I doubt there was as much spread there as within peoples homes. House parties and all other gatherings that weren't allowed were more often in private homes then in restaurants also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I only went with with my household.
    Also more people go home then go to restaurants so I doubt there was as much spread there as within peoples homes. House parties and all other gatherings that weren't allowed were more often in private homes then in restaurants also.

That's true. I just found it weird all along that people seemed to think it was ok to meet others for coffee/ meals/ drinks etc and didn't see the risk ( because they felt they were following guidelines) . I dont think the guidelines highlighted that you really should only be sitting with your own household

CUH Update
    Please see COVID-19 Update below

Total number of positive cases of COVID-19 identified in CUH in the past 24 hours - 0

Total number of inpatient cases of COVID-19 currently in CUH – 15

Total number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID -19 discharged from CUH in the last 24 hours. – 0

Total number of COVID-19 patients receiving ventilator support in CUH – 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought there was clusters linked to a cafe and bar in Cork

50 today

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 20/10/2020 to 02/11/2020

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 46 (-14), LEA rate per 100k pop: 123.4 (-37.6)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 29 (-13), LEA rate per 100k pop: 129.3 (-58)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 86 (-34), LEA rate per 100k pop: 244.7 (-96.8)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 66 (-26), LEA rate per 100k pop: 193.5 (-76.2)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 128 (-68), LEA rate per 100k pop: 303.5 (-161.3)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 144 (-74), LEA rate per 100k pop: 358.3 (-184.2)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 134 (-108), LEA rate per 100k pop: 346.5 (-279.4)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 128 (-58), LEA rate per 100k pop: 299.2 (-126.2)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 147 (-81), LEA rate per 100k pop: 312.4 (-104.2)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 35 (-32), LEA rate per 100k pop: 96.1 (-85.2)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 53 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 212.6 (-28)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 71 (-20), LEA rate per 100k pop: 192.7 (-54.3)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 68 (-14), LEA rate per 100k pop: 233.2 (-48)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 45 (-15), LEA rate per 100k pop: 99 (-33)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 60 (-11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 198.1 (-36.4)

Significant decreases across the county in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

440Hertz wrote: »
    That’s why Level 5 was introduced with a 4 week review scheduled.

That review is pretty much decided already

NPHET will get their 6 weeks minimum

Micheal & Co won't lift the restrictions early no matter how low the cases are in 2 weeks time

They won't be low enough

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That review is pretty much decided already

NPHET will get their 6 weeks minimum

Micheal & Co won't lift the restrictions early no matter how low the cases are in 2 weeks time

They won't be low enough

I wouldn’t be so sure about that , retail pushing for a November 16 opening date and they have valid reasons for opening.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought there was clusters linked to a cafe and bar in Cork

YEs, no doubt. Likely restaurants that were operating as a Covid sh1tshow IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

72 today

Last four days: 23, 47, 50, 72. Lets hope it stops which I am presuming it will.

14 day incidence rate of 240, trending downward still so that's great

Advertisement