Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    FFS :mad: this is a disgrace

Who do you think is responsible?
    And what do you think should be done to rectify this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,194 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It ran out of kits, thats why they've changed the criteria to two symptoms for testing. Will reopen as soon as the kits get distributed that are coming into Dublin

Is there anywhere in Ireland that can produce manufacture test kits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Humilde wrote: »
    That Varadkar is an awful langer. He was on yesterday praising China for having done such a great job in defeating the virus. I read today that the Chinese people believe that there could be at least 40,000 deaths there in Wuhan, even though the official figure is 3,000 odd.

Well - that's not quite it and that's not all he said. I've linked the full article https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-thanks-chinese-premier-for-assistance-regarding-supply-of-essential-medical-equipment-991207.html

From what I read, he was also thanking the Chinese for the assistance they sent, and offering Irish assistance in return with regard to research and so on in return.

NOBODY knows what the official figures are in China and elsewhere. You can take those with a pinch of salt. The main thing is that it's here, and the Government are taking all necessary steps to slow the spread and fight the virus by any means.

Calling Leo a langer is a bit rich, IMO. I think he has handled this very well compared to those to the right of us and over the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

Humilde wrote: »
    That Varadkar is an awful langer. He was on yesterday praising China for having done such a great job in defeating the virus. I read today that the Chinese people believe that there could be at least 40,000 deaths there in Wuhan, even though the official figure is 3,000 odd.

So when the Taoiseach was having his phone call with the Chinese premier, should he have chastised him for his handling of the virus before or after he asked for his assistance in obtaining adequate supplies of medicines, PPE, etc.?

Also, when you say that the “Chinese people believe”, I’m really curious to know which publication took the time to poll 1.4B people. Do please share your source!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Why the hell are off licenses allowed to stay open? Essential, how?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Regarding the 2km walk zone limit from peoples homes. I presume that if someone drove to a park/country walk area that was over 2km from home -- that'd this walk would be disallowed?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes, you're only supposed to walk 2km radius from home. Driving somewhere and then walking a 2km radius is not allowed.

Now, in reality, driving somewhere remote and walking is not going to hurt or infect anyone, but you shouldn't be doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Calling Leo a langer is a bit rich, IMO. I think he has handled this very well compared to those to the right of us and over the Atlantic.

The poster you quoted appears to have created a brand new account purely for the purpose of posting that message!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Worztron wrote: »

You would prefer if alcohol was banned as well?

Yes, you're only supposed to walk 2km radius from home. Driving somewhere and then walking a 2km radius is not allowed.

Now, in reality, driving somewhere remote and walking is not going to hurt or infect anyone, but you shouldn't be doing it.

Hi Chris. Yes, I thought as much.

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote: »
    You would prefer if alcohol was banned as well?

Dbu, where did I mention that? I'm stating that OL are far from essential and should be shut for the duration of the lock-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If every hoor did that we would be back to packed beauty spots like Glendalough all over again.

Dbu, where did I mention that? I'm stating that OL are far from essential and should be shut for the duration of the lock-down.

Well, if supermarkets are allowed to sell booze, should not the off licences?

Booze is either essential or it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Reduces pressure on supermarkets - less footfall in places like that is a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

Defence Forces brought in to help Mercy Hospital prepare for Covid-19 surge

The Mercy is gearing up for bigger numbers ahead :(

Who do you think is responsible?
    And what do you think should be done to rectify this?

I assume it's the responsibility of our Covid19 task force team, HSE and Dept of Health etc.,

I do wonder if anywhere here in Ireland can mass produce the kits, I believe though it was reagent that was short

I know worldwide needs kits for testing but having test centres in large cities closed with a back log already is not good

WHO is saying we should test test test but cannot when centres are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Unfortunately it does do harm when hundreds of others have the same bright idea.

Cork 272 +17

3,849 in total now in ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

was walking in fitzgerald's park today and 5 people out running zoomed past me.. wtf??? people are so disrespectful - was raging..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

sporina wrote: »
    was walking in fitzgerald's park today and 5 people out running zoomed past me.. wtf??? people are so disrespectful - was raging..

Some silly bas*ards in Carrigaline at it also today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Took a walk along the Lee Walkway (Mercy direction) in the evening. Man walking along w/gloves, keeping distance etc. He stops along the barriers of the walkway and lets out a big spit. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Took a walk along the Lee Walkway (Mercy direction) in the evening. Man walking along w/gloves, keeping distance etc. He stops along the barriers of the walkway and lets out a big spit. :confused:

Bring back the spit shaming signs of the TB era . Its a manky habit that unfortunately is too common to see.

sporina wrote: »

A group of 5 people running as a group?
    That's not on!

Well, if supermarkets are allowed to sell booze, should not the off licences?

Booze is either essential or it isn't.

Booze is far from essential.

Reduces pressure on supermarkets - less footfall in places like that is a good thing

Just highlights the pathetic relation to booze in Ireland.

Booze is far from essential.

Well, just say it, if you think the sale of alcohol should be banned.
    Otherwise you are just wringing your hands saying "it's a disgrace". (popular activity in this thread)

So, tell us what you think should happen with regards to alcohol sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bring back the spit shaming signs of the TB era . Its a manky habit that unfortunately is too common to see.

Second time I've seen a person spit since COVID become more of a reality here. However, the two individuals were not persons I felt I could call out with an argument kicking off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Hey, are there any options for home grocery delivery? I tried Tescos but there's no possibility for the next 3+ weeks. Is there any delivery service that does groceries? Or how does Click and Collect work - could I order online and maybe see if I can get a taxi driver to collect?

I've been self-isolating as a precaution (had very mild flu-like symptoms for the last few days) though I'd had very little contact with anyone for weeks before that (live alone, working from home). Have enough food for another 2-3 days but after that I'll have to risk a visit to a shop.

Update - should be all sorted, thanks!!

who_me wrote: »
    . Have enough food for another 2-3 days but after that I'll have to risk a visit to a shop.

Unfortunately, I think, this is you only option.

Selfish people who are perfectly able to go to the shops are taking up delivery slots that should be left for the elderly, the vulnerable and people in your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

who_me wrote: »
    Hey, are there any options for home grocery delivery? I tried Tescos but there's no possibility for the next 3+ weeks. Is there any delivery service that does groceries? Or how does Click and Collect work - could I order online and maybe see if I can get a taxi driver to collect?

I've been self-isolating as a precaution (had very mild flu-like symptoms for the last few days) though I'd had very little contact with anyone for weeks before that (live alone, working from home). Have enough food for another 2-3 days but after that I'll have to risk a visit to a shop.

Could you ring cork city council helpline? They arrange deliveries for vulnerable etc so surely they'd do for you as self isolating.

Advertisement