Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm sure they didn't expect folk to gather outside
    As I pointed out, all this was stopped in Dublin in previous lock down....'......drink is paid for on a licensed premises and is consumed more than 100 metres from any pub and not in a public place, it's all legal'
    You're talking as if people are crowded in one spot. There is zero issue with a few people sitting down on the quay by Electric or in the peace park with a pint.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. It's all not in the spirit of the restrictions, is it.

That is exactly my point, fair play for not joining the mob :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yet I've only seen my parents 3 times this year, and not hugged them once.

Yeah, same with me. I've turned down meeting with them physically. I don't want to be responsible for them getting sick or worse. I do keep in touch with them though, more often than usual.

You're talking as if people are crowded in one spot. There is zero issue with a few people sitting down on the quay by Electric or in the peace park with a pint.

A few people is 3, that wouldn't make it to the media. There was loads more than a few & I'm sure social distancing wasn't followered either.

A few people is 3, that wouldn't make it to the media. There was loads more than a few & I'm sure social distancing wasn't followered either.
    If you're looking for a country where everyone is locked into their houses and nobody does anything then you're in the wrong place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

If you've a problem with the gombeens advice why not visit your folks weekly or daily?

I've no problem with it, they can advise all they want. Until a vaccination is available, one that works, I'll be be keeping my family at bay, and there's 8 of us siblings with over 20 grandchildren doing the same.

If you're looking for a country where everyone is locked into their houses and nobody does anything then you're in the wrong place

I'm not looking for that at all, real in the madness kid and stick to l5 guidelines so we can try and get back to some normality

I've no problem with it, they can advise all they want. Until a vaccination is available, one that works, I'll be be keeping my family at bay, and there's 8 of us siblings with over 20 grandchildren doing the same.

Hopefully the street drinkers & other folk breaking the advice don't ruin it for us all before those vaccines come.... Vaccines are quite a bit away unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I had a few drinks outside Le Chateau on Patrick St. last weekend, we were sat on the bollards when two gardaí passed us who gave us a nod and continued on their way.
    They passed us 3 times in total, I presume they were doing a loop of town on their patrol.

They didn’t approach or stop myself or any other groups any of the times I saw them.
    Nobody was causing issues, everyone was behaving civilly and responsibly, no one was even drunk or messing about, so why would they?

Gardaí police by consent here. They would lose all public support, trust and compliance if they started arresting people who are causing no trouble for simply drinking a hot whiskey outdoors on a cold November night.
    I hope it never ever comes to that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

You're not comparing like with like there.

What's an alternative you'd prefer? Sit in and stay isolated at all costs? Follow the gombeens commands to a tee, and do the same again next January? People know what they're dealing with this time around, myself included. Yet I've only seen my parents 3 times this year, and not hugged them once.
    For all the public drinking you see, you don't know the sacrifices some have to, and continue to do, make.

How old are you’re parents if you don’t mind me asking

• Advertisement

I don't think that what we are talking about will make much difference. I hope not.

It's easy for me, I'm not a very social person anyway. I'm not going to judge others for meeting outside. I do have an issue with people doing house visits or parties and the like.

Nothing is zero risk of course, but I can't expect other people to think like me.

I don't think that what we are talking about will make much difference. I hope not.

It's easy for me, I'm not a very social person anyway. I'm not going to judge others for meeting outside. I do have an issue with people doing house visits or parties and the like.

Nothing is zero risk of course, but I can't expect other people to think like me.

You can be sure it will escalate ..... Always does, as a nation we are a disgrace with drink.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I had a few drinks outside Le Chateau.

That alone should be an arrestable offence ;)

That alone should be an arrestable offence ;)

Tourist bar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Back in April/May, I saw the Gardai take drink off people at The Lough so they do enforce it when they want to

titan18 wrote: »
    Back in April/May, I saw the Gardai take drink off people at The Lough so they do enforce it when they want to

It'll be enforced again in due course..... Have no doubt.

Thought as much.

Ive no problem with drinking.... Drinking on the street is not on IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ive no problem with drinking.... Drinking on the street is not on IMO.

What do you think of people having a takeaway coffee and drinking outdoors? You know, because they aren't at home?

What do you think of people having a takeaway coffee and drinking outdoors? You know, because they aren't at home?

There are no laws against that.
    Any larger straws to clutch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What is the appeal of drinking on the street? It was baltic on Friday and lashing today. You're paying to get at best, a cold or at worst the feckin covid. I had a dram of whiskey and said hello to the neighbour over the hedge "the bastards can never take this away from us".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭.red.

s1ippy wrote: »
    What is the appeal of drinking on the street? It was baltic on Friday and lashing today. You're paying to get at best, a cold or at worst the feckin covid..

For now, the appeal is having a drink with a friend, because it can't safely be done indoors.
    I dont drink, and I've no issue with what went on over the weekend as it seemed quite civil. People need others right now, if only for their mental health. Whether that's a cup of tea or coffee, a pint, a gin or even a (non shared) joint outdoors then go for it. A small bit of common sense can go a long way with this virus.
    People hammered drunk, falling around the place is a different issue tho

And just to be as pedantic as this thread is at the moment, the baltics are generally a warm place, and a cold is a virus. You don't catch it from being outside in the cold or wet no matter what your granny told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

s1ippy wrote: »
    What is the appeal of drinking on the street? It was baltic on Friday and lashing today. You're paying to get at best, a cold or at worst the feckin covid. I had a dram of whiskey and said hello to the neighbour over the hedge "the bastards can never take this away from us".

Don't see the attraction of outside drinking at this time of year tbh. Whatever about a hot whiskey are people actually paying good money for a pint in a plastic container pulled from a keg with minimal draw? Im sure ags are happy to let the street drinking slide until such time as it becomes a public order issue. Not sure the publicans will be too happy either if people start turning up to the peace park with beer bought from a super market.

There are no laws against that.
    Any larger straws to clutch?

Well you seem more upset that people aren't at home. So don't see the difference between a takeaway coffee and a takeaway beer.

The video from Friday night was harmless when talking about covid. Different story if they were all crammed in together but they weren't. Maybe you should start another thread about illegal drinking on the street instead of crying about it in the covid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Test No.2 finished, still very busy. Was a queue of cars and they kept on coming as we left. Quite a few walk-ins as well. Once the % rate is low though is all that matters!

Well you seem more upset that people aren't at home. So don't see the difference between a takeaway coffee and a takeaway beer.

The video from Friday night was harmless when talking about covid. Different story if they were all crammed in together but they weren't. Maybe you should start another thread about illegal drinking on the street instead of crying about it in the covid thread.

You and a few others are the only ones upset at me pointing out breaches of l5 guidelines :)
    I'm not remotely upset.

Maybe you should refrain from back seat modding

You and a few others are the only ones upset at me pointing out breaches of l5 guidelines :)
    I'm not remotely upset.

Maybe you should refrain from back seat modding

But bars can open for takeaway in level 5 guidelines? How is that breaching the guidelines?

36 today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

14 day incidence rate now below 200 at 197! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,146 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The R is under 1 too I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

36 today

Happy birthday

Advertisement