Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Nope, they went into lockdown on March 16th, the same week we did. They still have a higher incidence rate than Sweden. It does prove my point. Try again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-statement-on-coronavirus-16-march-2020

My point was that the blase reaction from Sweden cost a lot of lives and they have a hugely higher rate than nearby Nordic countries. I don't even know what your reply on my post was about at all. I never mentioned the UK. It was Sweden's specific much trumpeted by some's system. Comparison country to country is just lazy and discounts many factors why, even though the UK has a higher incidence rate, that it still doesn't mean Sweden took in any way a correct method of doing, very far from it.

I don't think any one particular way was the right way 100% but it's clear they are now struggling to keep cases from rocketing as a lot of people there aren't taking any notice of any now imposed restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I think the point is some guy on the Cork GAA team, his dad is from the UK and his mother is from Sweden. After a recent match he did some street drinking outside Electric and that’s why the case numbers were high.

That’s the gist of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I think the point is some guy on the Cork GAA team, his dad is from the UK and his mother is from Sweden. After a recent match he did some street drinking outside Electric and that’s why the case numbers were high.

....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭nofools

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Nope, they went into lockdown on March 16th, the same week we did. They still have a higher incidence rate than Sweden. It does prove my point. Try again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-statement-on-coronavirus-16-march-2020

There is more to it than the word lockdown.

Their measures were a lot looser than ours at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

8 cases today, great number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,141 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Was there a cluster outbreak connected to Electric?

Second tests back, two negative and one positive unfortunately. No idea how as was doing all the same distancing as us! Just goes to show how important the follow up tests are!

Take Care

Is it you positive or a family member?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Take Care

Is it you positive or a family member?

Another family member, must have gotten it off the index case in the house (no idea how since we all took extreme precautions!). It's a weird virus with how it spreads

Needless I presume they are one of the 8 today.

Just off the phone with contact tracing again too, third test booked for Tomorrow but will have to change it to Thursday due to college exams. My nose is gonna be complaining! haha

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I think that the guidance is quite clear. We are advised to wear a "face covering" which "covers the nose and mouth" and "fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face."

A visor does not satisfy that.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

TBF, the same link above acknowledges that a visor is "not as good as wearing a face covering, but you'll still get a good level of protection"

Each individual will have their own reasons for wearing a visor over a mask, so we should refrain from judgement. But it is important to realise that the visors provide a lessor level of protection for those around you that a visor.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-face-masks-face-visors-5262514-Nov2020/

Between the CMO and HSE, there is a big push against visors in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

I know someone who's working in contact tracing and currently she's very quiet.

• Advertisement

Another family member, must have gotten it off the index case in the house (no idea how since we all took extreme precautions!). It's a weird virus with how it spreads

Needless I presume they are one of the 8 today.

Just off the phone with contact tracing again too, third test booked for Tomorrow but will have to change it to Thursday due to college exams. My nose is gonna be complaining! haha

I hope negative ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

It's great to be back in the miscellaneous counties at the end of the list category!

Just like the vast majority of Chinese wet markets.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Agreed- bit like the old wet pub thing. Daft description tbh.

Some of the videos which were being pushed early on supposedly showing wet markets in China - clearly weren't in China.

A lot of it was being used to push fake news etc.

Some of the images of those markets were disgusting, they'd sell anything, any animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's funny seeing the graphs and instantly seeing the points the lockdowns take effect. For instance, back as recently as mid October the infections per million here were 3 times that of Sweden, now Sweden's is 3 times ours. The lockdowns in the Netherlands and Belgium are having similar effects there, but they're having to drop from much, much higher levels.

Of course, we've been through all this before.. getting the values down low (the "hammer") and then subsequently trying to keep them low as the restrictions are lifted (the "dance"). We got it wrong the last time, hope we can do better now.

I'd love to know more about the lockdowns in Australia, Victoria specifically. They were able to get the numbers down low enough via a lockdown that sports events can be attended. I'd have to read up on just how long they stayed locked down in order to enable that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

who_me wrote: »
    I'd love to know more about the lockdowns in Australia, Victoria specifically. They were able to get the numbers down low enough via a lockdown that sports events can be attended. I'd have to read up on just how long they stayed locked down in order to enable that.

Melbourne had a 112 day lockdown from early July to late October. It was extremely severe. Almost everything shut. 5k exercise limit. Curfew from 8pm to 5am. Compulsory face masks. Mandatory self-isolation for confirmed cases and close contacts (regular random visits from cops to make sure you’re at home). Enforcement was very strict, with national army brought into help Victoria police man checkpoints. Depending on the specific offence, the on-the-spot fines ranged from $200 to $5,000 for a first offence, and up to $20,000 for repeat offenders upon prosecution before a judge. In rural Victoria the measures were less severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Some of the images of those markets were disgusting, they'd sell anything, any animal

Clickbaiit, much of it fake and most certainly not the norm.
    97% of Chinese people are opposed to the eating of wild animals.
    I'm not saying that nothing that seems barbaric to us happens but it is not common and is equally barbaric to the overwhelming majority of Chinese people, too.

Dog fighting, cock fighting, badger baiting, hair coursing and fox hunting all happen in Ireland but that doesn't mean that many Irish people engage in it.

How many Irish people own dogs bred on puppy farms?

I eat wild rabbit, venison, pheasant etc. as do many Irish people. They're all wild animals. Why is a bat so different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Clickbaiit, much of it fake and most certainly not the norm.
    97% of Chinese people are opposed to the eating of wild animals.
    I'm not saying that nothing that seems barbaric to us happens but it is not common and is equally barbaric to the overwhelming majority of Chinese people, too.

Dog fighting, cock fighting, badger baiting, hair coursing and fox hunting all happen in Ireland but that doesn't mean that many Irish people engage in it.

How many Irish people own dogs bred on puppy farms?

I eat wild rabbit, venison, pheasant etc. as do many Irish people. They're all wild animals. Why is a bat so different?

I'd agree. Much of what was shown was certainly complete clickbait.

That said one of the apparent reasons that some Chinese eat wild meat is because that it was heavily relied on within living memory.

The Great Chinese Famine was a period in the history of the People's Republic of China which was characterised by widespread famine between the years 1959 and 1961/62 where an estimated 15–55 million people died.

Some people there still consider these as normal foodstuffs. Whilst they're certainly some inherent dangers in eating carnivorous species due to disease risk. I think judging others solely on our food preferences is often disingenuous tbh.

On "dog fighting, cock fighting, badger baiting, hair coursing and fox hunting". Just to point out that the first three are most certainly illegal. And rightly so imo. I dont know much about hare coursing other than its legal and afaik highly regulated with vets have to be in attendance. Not saying its my cup of tea. And others can disagree with me if they like fox hunting is also legal and is used specifically in the management of local fox populations. And theres a hell of a lot of click bait stuff used against it. Ime hounds kill a fox in exactly the same manner as a fox kills a rabbit. And yes foxes will sometimes even hunt in packs. My neighbours geese and a large amount breeding wildfowl here were decimated by a family of these well organised predators.

I also eat wild rabbit, venison, pheasant etc. Again some people may have issues doing same. Personally I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

[...]Ime hounds kill a fox in exactly the same manner as a fox kills a rabbit. And yes foxes will sometimes even hunt in packs. My neighbours geese and a large amount breeding wildfowl here were decimated by a family of these well organised predators.

A fox kills for food. We breed hounds to kill foxes just for the craic. There are kinder ways to have a bit of craic.

cantalach wrote: »
    A fox kills for food. We breed hounds to kill foxes just for the craic. There are kinder ways to have a bit of craic.

Not going to derail the thread btw But no not 'just for the craic' as you put it. Tbh that's as about as accurate as the Chinese wet market thing. Its about managing local fox populations - which can be problematic. And yes they will overkill wild birds etc beyond the need for food. etc. This is well known. So I'll have to disagree with you on your own views on that issue.

Not going to derail the thread btw But no hunting whether shootng or otherwise is not 'just for the craic' as you put it. Tbh that's as about as accurate as the Chinese wet market thing. Its about managing local fox populations - which can be problematic. And yes they will overkill wild birds etc beyond the need for food. etc. This is well known. So I'll have to disagree with you on your own views on that issue.

Plenty of shooting and fox hunting is just for their 'craic' and is certainly a hobby for a lot in this country. Do you think all the hunting clubs are fox population managing teams? They'd love to wrap it up as nicely as that definitely and convince us it's 'duty' as that. Their nice hunting uniforms certainly look like official population manager uniforms alright. It's a barbaric past time/hobby. A fox kills a rabbit for food, a hound kills a fox because they have tired him out from cruelly chasing him and then being savagely set on by hunters. Having seen pieces of foxes left discarded near me where a hunt gathers, I've seen how horrific and a hobby for people it is.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Plenty of shooting and fox hunting is just for their 'craic' and is certainly a hobby for a lot in this country. Do you think all the hunting clubs are fox population managing teams? They'd love to wrap it up as nicely as that definitely and convince us it's 'duty' as that. Their nice hunting uniforms certainly look like official population manager uniforms alright. It's a barbaric past time/hobby.

There are serious issues with excess populations. This has significant implications for other wildlife etc. You obviously believe otherwise. I have a wildfowl wetland area and yes foxes are a huge problem. Yes and there are those who repeat rubbish about managing fox populations in a similar way to the whole Chinese Market thing and all Chinese being 'barbaric' etc etc. But not to derail the thread any further. Pm me if you wish.

There are serious issues with excess fox populations. This has significant implications for other wildlife etc. You obviously believe otherwise. I have a wildfowl wetland area and yes foxes are a huge problem. Yes and there are those who repeat rubbish about managing fox populations in a similar way to the whole Chinese Market thing But not to derail the thread any further. Pm me if you wish.

I agreed with your earlier point that a lot of the wet market stuff is exaggerated, however I completely disgaree with you that fox hunting is just official population controlling when it's clearly a bloodlust for quite a lot. Not gonna derail any further here either.

On Covid, does anyone know which test centres in Cork are still currently running?

Corholio wrote: »

On Covid, does anyone know which test centres in Cork are still currently running?

Tbh thats just the usual type of hyperemotive stuff repeated and makes no sense tbh. But no matter. Well have to agree to diasgree.

I see there's a new test centre opening in Cork Airport. Afaik it will be open to all.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/New-Covid-19-drive-in-test-centre-to-open-at-Cork-Airport-3591af41-9bd5-4b20-b6b6-9e0ceca0e73a-ds

Out of curiosity, are there any centres in the city centre area?

I know there's PUC, but that's a decent walk from the city centre. And now there's the airport, which is not exactly accessible.

I, along with many others I am sure, do not drive / have a car so would be relying on walking if (God forbid) I needed a test. Hardly responsible to take a taxi / bus to get a COVID test.

Out of curiosity, are there any centres in the city centre area?

I know there's PUC, but that's a decent walk from the city centre. And now there's the airport, which is not exactly accessible.

I, along with many others I am sure, do not drive / have a car so would be relying on walking if (God forbid) I needed a test. Hardly responsible to take a taxi / bus to get a COVID test.

Nope. Only test centers I believe are the one in Blackpool (3rd time there today!), glanmire and south douglas road (st finbarrs hospital i believe). The one in Blackpool (North link business park) is for close contacts only I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nope. Only test centers I believe are the one in Blackpool (3rd time there today!), glanmire and south douglas road (st finbarrs hospital i believe). The one in Blackpool (North link business park) is for close contacts only I think.

My wife had a test there a few weeks back due to having a high temp.
    Possibly changed since then, though.

Good to know. I mean, they're walkable-ish, but at the same time not ideal to have to walk 30 mins - 1 hr for the test.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good to know. I mean, they're walkable-ish, but at the same time not ideal to have to walk 30 mins - 1 hr for the test.

I live in the city centre and don't drive. My test was at South Douglas Rd. Took me less than 20 minutes to walk there.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I live in the city centre and don't drive. My test was at South Douglas Rd. Took me less than 20 minutes to walk there.

Google Maps puts it at close to 50 mins (one way) for me. PUC & Blackpool are over 50 mins, Glanmire is 1.5 hrs (!).

Guess I'm just on the wrong side of the city...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Google Maps puts it at close to 50 mins (one way) for me. PUC & Blackpool are over 50 mins, Glanmire is 1.5 hrs (!).

Guess I'm just on the wrong side of the city...!

Ah you must be!
    I'm on Cove Street.

Advertisement