Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,696 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same and paying what €5 for a flat pint in a plastic cup

It’s just a way for people to met up with their friends. It’s only a €5.
    I know people and they are going to the supermarket several times a week just to meet people and have a chat indoors whilst being on top of one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,134 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It’s just a way for people to met up with their friends. It’s only a €5.
    I know people and they are going to the supermarket several times a week just to meet people and have a chat indoors whilst being on top of one another.

Yes the supermarket chats, blocking aisles is annoying, at least do outside or if raining sit in the car

I don't have issue with a few people meeting up but gangs on a sesh on top of each other is too much

Was surprised today to see a shop serve alcohol to two lads with no masks or visors or shields on which I thought was mandatory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Was surprised today to see a shop serve alcohol to two lads with no masks or visors or shields on which I thought was mandatory

Of course it is mandatory, but you cannot blame shop assistants for not enforcing it. You never know how people will react. It is not worth drawing that crap on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

19 today. Hopefully it stays that way!

Yes the supermarket chats, blocking aisles is annoying, at least do outside or if raining sit in the car

I don't have issue with a few people meeting up but gangs on a sesh on top of each other is too much

I think my point mainly is people don’t care. Lots of people are breaking these regulations in their own way.
    Of course shops are selling people without masks. I’ve seen it several times.

• Advertisement

I think my point mainly is people don’t care. Lots of people are breaking these regulations in their own way.
    Of course shops are selling people without masks. I’ve seen it several times.

We sure aren't in this together anymore with some of the selfish careless behaviour going on

We sure aren't in this together anymore with some of the selfish careless behaviour going on

Nope people aren’t. It’s just seen as a half arsed attempt at a lockdown and people have no respect for Michael Martin which doesn’t help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Were we ever really all in this together though? I don’t think the people who are on the PUP since March felt like everyone else was enduring the same sacrifice and hardship that they are, and that we were all in it together in that regard.

My nail lady & her husband (hotel manager) are both out of work again because of this lockdown and she confided in me that the PUP payment doesn’t even cover their monthly direct debits and rent, whereas they could live off their wages quite comfortably before coronavirus. They are still in rent arrears from the first lockdown so their landlord won’t give them any payment breaks this time around.
    She isn’t the only one in that situation and I can see why frustration and despair is growing.

It’s very easy for politicians with secure jobs and pensions to impose lockdowns when they aren’t the ones who’ll be struggling to pay for the next food shop, let alone buying any Santa presents for their kids.

I know that’s nothing to do with wearing masks in shops (which isn’t a hardship and everyone should do just out of common courtesy) but I just mean the phrase in general isn’t entirely accurate. I don’t think we were ever all in this together, when some people are actively financially benefiting from the lockdown and others have lost everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

We were never in this together.

It was inevitable that this happened. Huge numbers are meeting up in private houses for drinks, it just doesn't get plastered on social media.

It's obvious we can't live with this yo-yo approach. We are a pack animal.

My major issue with the crowd last night was the litter they left behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

fin12 wrote: »

"Semi-permanent parasols are set to be installed. They'll be around 12ft in span and all going well they'll have side skirts to protect from wind"

If that blocks ventilation, you might as well be indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Parasols aren't likely to be blocking ventilation tbh and even after this is over, it could mean a permanent use of outdoor space in a way we haven't had before.

Ireland's not THAT cold - it's just showery.

I just hope long term this means a sea change in the draconian attitudes Irish councils have had to outdoor seating. We (and the UK) have always been serious outliers in that regard.

I do think people were more complying earlier at the start but not anymore so would say were in this together then

Now while I'm mad and angry seeing others breaking the restriction rules out I'm also jealous if that makes sense, will we ever get back to normal or can we work the new normal

Everyone take care and stay safe

I'm a Celeb starts tonight from a Welsh castle

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Nope people aren’t. It’s just seen as a half arsed attempt at a lockdown and people have no respect for Michael Martin which doesn’t help.
    I will never get this as a reason to not want to follow a lockdown or restrictions. Politicans aren't our parents telling us what to do and giving out if we don't. We aren't following these rules to keep them happy. They are putting in public health recommended restrictions in order to ensure the overall trajectory of the virus goes where public health experts want it to go. When they say wear a mask and you go into the store with a mask on, you're not doing it for the government, you're doing it as public health experts have decided that wearing one makes you and everyone else around you safer. I'm not saying you are but overall I think people are thinking way too much of the government here when it comes to the virus. you're doing all these things like mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing, following public health guidelines and restrictions for YOU and everyone else around you. Because if we don't, numbers will rise, and with that brings increased hospitalisations. And with that comes more deaths. Thankfully we have had restrictions to stop this from ever getting too bad but if people take the "screw the government approach" and start to disregard public health advice for short term personal/social gain, numbers will go up and up and then hospital cases will go up and eventually hospitals will clog up so people will be turned away or triaged and then when deaths go up we're in trouble. The vaccine is coming. We are living with it. I think international travel should be closed immediately (with supports for aiports) to try to isolate us a bit from the world to stop reintroduction. And then follow the more relaxed rules as much as we can so we can stay in levels 2/3. What if during the second world war people just got sick of blocking up their windows at night and said I need to live my life anyway? It's a rare global pandemic. It's not fun. But people need to start accepting this.

Also, it's funny when I hear people give out about how we're all going to have to pay back with our taxes all these supports and PUP and what not, while simultaneously giving out that €350 isn't enough and it should be higher.

For the last two weeks I have blanked out the virus and it's been the best thing I've done this year. I stayed at home, went on daily walks, went to shops with my mask and social distanced, went on walks one on one with friends and just lived my life indoors as usual. I've never had so much peace. That's the way it can be, but people want to act, 9 months into this, that nope we're done let's cover our eyes and ears and lets pretend it's not here anymore and do whatever the hell we want whenever at any cost I need to 'live' I'm healthy

The majority are following the l5 restrictions and guidance..... The morons by Electric are indeed not the only ones acting the muppets but that's always the way.

For folk reckoning restrictions aren't required look to the UK and the US. Northern Ireland is a sh1tshow.

I will never get this as a reason to not want to follow a lockdown or restrictions. Politicans aren't our parents telling us what to do and giving out if we don't. We aren't following these rules to keep them happy. They are putting in public health recommended restrictions in order to ensure the overall trajectory of the virus goes where public health experts want it to go. When they say wear a mask and you go into the store with a mask on, you're not doing it for the government, you're doing it as public health experts have decided that wearing one makes you and everyone else around you safer. I'm not saying you are but overall I think people are thinking way too much of the government here when it comes to the virus. you're doing all these things like mask wearing, hand washing, saccepting this.

I wasn’t going to quote your whole post.
    I just think he is a poor motivator even people I know who vote and even canvassed for FF don’t have respect for him. It does help tough when your trying to get your message across and for people to take you seriously.
    Vast majority of people took the message on board about masks and hand washing because it was clear and consistent and they’ve no issue with it.
    All this stuff about places being open for click and collect, being allowed to visit graves, weddings going ahead, etc all just ads to this lockdown as being seeing as joke by people.

I’d love to know when we get the doom figures each day about people in ICU and on ventilators how those figures from the date in question stand up to the same date from 2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

The fact we aren’t told these suggests too me the figures are actually the same or lower then years gone by otherwise these figures would be used to increase the control and scare mongering over the general population.

This is tinfoil hat stuff...... It's almost like you don't believe there's a highly infectious disease about..... The restrictions aren't there because covid is harmless.

Fooking hell.
    All this stuff about places being open for click and collect, being allowed to visit graves, weddings going ahead, etc all just ads to this lockdown as being seeing as joke by people.

Anyone who thinks it's a joke is a gnome IMO.

If all weddings were banned and you couldn't visit graves would fncktards stop being fncktards?

Augeo wrote: »

Anyone who thinks it's a joke is a gnome IMO.

If all weddings were banned and you couldn't visit graves would fncktards stop being fncktards?

The last time around when this stuff wasn’t allowed people did seem to take it all a bit more seriously in my experience.
    The grave issue of course is a minor one of course.
    However now people know I can go to see my granny’s grave 50km by the beach just to go on a walk and the last time it wouldn’t and entered their head to do it.

I wasn’t going to quote your whole post.
    I just think he is a poor motivator even people I know who vote and even canvassed for FF don’t have respect for him. It does help tough when your trying to get your message across and for people to take you seriously.
    Vast majority of people took the message on board about masks and hand washing because it was clear and consistent and they’ve no issue with it.
    I completely agree with you that a good motivator is needed, but people acting like they're only doing this to make the government happy.. need to have a reality check. As for the last sentence, I agree, some of them confuse me, like when gyms were allowed to have pools open. But it's about trying to keep as many things open as we can instead of going for an all or nothing approach. By visiting a grave you're not doing anything bad for the virus, you're probably alone, near no one, etc. Click and collect means you're in and out and have what you want straight away instead of browsing or walking around people. Weddings going ahead with numbers that ensures it safe and allows us to live with the virus as safe we can - and there would be uproar if they were cancelled fully. I don't think people really think anything is a joke, or at least anything bad enough to dismiss the whole thing, they're just looking for something to justify them ignoring it and make themselves better. If all they do is give out then I don't care, people have free speech and can use their voice to say whatever, I can just ignore. But when people openly disregard the rules like last night and somehow don't see the problem with it or even care to, or stories of churches opening regardless (sin to break the law?) or pubs planning on reopening regardless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

To be quite honest, it's not very small weddings and graves that are the issue. It's a large crowd of people having pints, the bants and a bit pi$$ up on the boardwalk / bits of green space in the city centre.

Whatever about opinions on the lockdown, it's actually specifically banned under the current Level 5 regulations.

I think most people will have a sense of hypocrisy and annoyance when you can't even go for a cup of coffee with a friend, board a bus, grab a pint in normal circumstances, meet your granny, visit other people's houses or anything like that, yet it's grand to have a piss up on the end of the South Mall or wherever else.

Also where did the rubbish go & more disturbing: where did they urinate if there were no toilets?? Thankfully there's a lot of rain.

• Advertisement

440Hertz wrote: »
    To be quite honest, it's not very small weddings and graves that are the issue. It's a large crowd of people having pints, the bants and a bit pi$$ up on the boardwalk / bits of green space in the city centre.

.....n.

Indeed, folk sh1tting on about mental health than to excuse it.... Unreal.

I completely agree with you that a good motivator is needed, but people acting like they're only doing this to make the government happy.. need to have a reality check. As for the last sentence, I agree, some of them confuse me, like when gyms were allowed to have pools open. But it's about trying to keep as many things open as we can instead of going for an all or nothing approach. By visiting a grave you're not doing anything bad for the virus, you're probably alone, near no one, etc. Click and collect means you're in and out and have what you want straight away instead of browsing or walking around people. Weddings going ahead with numbers that ensures it safe and allows us to live with the virus as safe we can - and there would be uproar if they were cancelled fully. I don't think people really think anything is a joke, or at least anything bad enough to dismiss the whole thing, they're just looking for something to justify them ignoring it and make themselves better. If all they do is give out then I don't care, people have free speech and can use their voice to say whatever, I can just ignore. But when people openly disregard the rules like last night and somehow don't see the problem with it or even care to, or stories of churches opening regardless (sin to break the law?) or pubs planning on reopening regardless..

I don’t think people do things to make the government happy and people may not even like their leader but they still might motivate them and may have some respect for them.
    See I understand you but I’m just saying what I see and what people are doing around me.
    Click and collect is a handy service but it’s being used for toys, cushions, curtains, etc all for items people don’t and other things that are allowed. It’s bringing workers and customers out for stuff like that isn’t needed. It just allows people to find loop holes and it all just seems like a half arsed approach instead of a stricter lockdown. Which we had back in April and it seemed to have a higher compliance rate.
    PS, I think we’ll just end up going around in circles if we keep on discussing this.

I don’t think people do things to make the government happy and people may not even like their leader but they still might motivate them and may have some respect for them.
    See I understand you but I’m just saying what I see and what people are doing around me.
    Click and collect is a handy service but it’s being used for toys, cushions, curtains, etc all for items people don’t and other things that are allowed. It’s bringing workers and customers out for stuff like that isn’t needed. It just allows people to find loop holes and it all just seems like a half arsed approach instead of a stricter lockdown. Which we had back in April and it seemed to have a higher compliance rate.
    PS, I think we’ll just end up going around in circles if we keep on discussing this.
    That's very true, and tbh I think a lot of us already agree on pretty much everything, just smaller stuff. I don't even go into this thread anymore but I saw what looked like a lot of defending of what happened last night (which I saw in person as I was driving through town last night) and know of others who were defending it and I had to say something

This will hopefully all be over in a few months people. Just stay strong, think positive and try your best. If you feel you need to break the rules a bit, say you want to go into one friend's house for tea for an hour, one on one and distanced, do it. Do what you think is 99% safe while still following the guidelines as best as you can. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The lockdown is working very, very well. As of yesterday, our (7 day averaged) cases per million have dropped from 237 down to 77 (for reference, over the same time period, Sweden's cases per million went from 93 up to 411; the U.S. went from 179 up to 428).

Anyone not following the lockdown rules now is either in "it couldn't happen to me" denial or just doesn't care about the consequences. IMO it's nothing to do with ignorance of the laws or lack of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Mad watching the countries that went for a zero covid strategy having festivals and sports stadiums full of fans while we're here videoing people drinking outside closed pubs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    Mad watching the countries that went for a zero covid strategy having festivals and sports stadiums full of fans while we're here videoing people drinking outside closed pubs
    We might be able to pursue a zero-covid strategy if we weren't...

Sharing an island with another sovereign state who seem incapable of controlling the spread of the virus where one of the ruling parties seem to favour politicising the pandemic
    One of the world's most open economies with a strong dependence on air travel
    Reliant on neighbouring countries for imports which are carried on board trucks which require truck drivers entering and leaving the country
    20km away from our nearest neighbour with which we share a common relationship.

The carry on in town last night is relatively low risk. I was around town the last 2 Saturdays (nowhere near Electric last night but the racket from that direction was quite loud) but last night many places had been instructed to close early by the Gardai. Instead of all the moaning about what went on perhaps it's time to focus on how realistic it is to try to shut young people into their houses for weeks on end in the middle of winter with no exit strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

marno21 wrote: »
    We might be able to pursue a zero-covid strategy if we weren't...

Sharing an island with another sovereign state who seem incapable of controlling the spread of the virus where one of the ruling parties seem to favour politicising the pandemic
    One of the world's most open economies with a strong dependence on air travel
    Reliant on neighbouring countries for imports which are carried on board trucks which require truck drivers entering and leaving the country
    20km away from our nearest neighbour with which we share a common relationship.

The carry on in town last night is relatively low risk. I was around town the last 2 Saturdays (nowhere near Electric last night but the racket from that direction was quite loud) but last night many places had been instructed to close early by the Gardai. Instead of all the moaning about what went on perhaps it's time to focus on how realistic it is to try to shut young people into their houses for weeks on end in the middle of winter with no exit strategy.

Taiwan seems to be doing pretty well tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

EnzoScifo wrote: »

Yeah watching sports matches in Australia makes me feel quite envious :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Taoiseach-Takeaway-drink-gatherings-in-Cork-city-centre-undermine-Covid-efforts--bc05e18d-2053-4df6-8918-be5bdc833890-ds

MM weighs in on the takeaway pint scenes.
    TAOISEACH Micheál Martin will speak with the Minister for Justice today in a bid to address problems associated with takeaway drinking.

[...]

Mr Martin told The Echo he was very concerned after seeing the pictures.

“It was disappointing to see the large crowds who had gathered. It is unacceptable.

“It endangers the efforts of all within society who are doing everything to adhere to our current restrictions. We are all working so hard to keep the level of cases down.

“It also undermines the efforts of our frontline workers and our hospitals.

“We need to reduce the number of cases in our hospitals and the number of ICU beds being used.”

The Taoiseach said he will be contacting Minister for Justice Helen McEntee today as they seek to find better ways of curbing impromptu crowds gathering in public.

“We will get a report from the gardaí following the events of last weekend. We will discuss in greater detail this new phenomenon of takeaway drink. We will review it accordingly.

“If it is leading to large congregations it will cause major harm going forward. Over the next 48 hours, we will review whether we will allow people to keep purchasing takeaway drink. ”

[...]

“We have to get the numbers down. What happened on Saturday night in Cork undermined that effort.

[...]

Gardaí were called to disperse large crowds of revellers who had gathered in various parts of Cork City on Saturday night.

Crowds were reported mingling on the Grand Parade, the Coal Quay, Patrick Street. Gardaí dealt with the large crowds in line with current Level 5 restrictions.

A garda spokesperson said: “We responded to reports of a large gathering of people on the South Mall. The crowds we encountered were asked to move on in compliance with the current Level 5 regulations. There were no breaches of regulations detected. The people we encountered were easy to deal with. They were asked to disperse and they did without any further incident. There were no further incidents arising from the crowds who had gathered. There were no arrests made,” said the garda spokesperson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Advertisement