Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Maybe the part where we kept the majority of the population out of work and locked in their houses during the summer when we had less than 5 cases per day and no deaths, basically throwing away our only opportunity to actually open safely and attempt to live with the virus?

You could go for a pint in the pub in most other European countries almost two months before you could get your dog groomed or buy some non essential retail here.

Our pubs were open for all of TWO WEEKS before we shut them again, they’ve been closed in Dublin since the 16th of March, over 8 months now.
    Yet our European neighbours including the EU ground zero (Italy) were all able to open all their industries and enjoy a relatively normal summer before the second wave came.
    Pubs aside, some industries were only allowed open on august 10th here, we basically threw the whole summer away and as a result people are fatigued and frustrated from the constant restrictions.

All of that was excessively harsh and severe.
    For pubs not serving food, sure, I can see why they were considered harsh. Maybe even Draconian. I completely get your point. But saying we were all locked up for the summer, as pointed out by Sleet And Snow above, is wrong. Overall restrictions during the summer were very relaxed. And right now they are not (in my opinion) anyway Draconian

Also, correlation does not imply causation but it's interesting that all the European countries with "summer breaks" like France, Spain, the UK, Italy are now back with even stricter restrictions than the first time with huge numbers again, many of which I believe are higher than the first wave (but I can stand over that so don't quote me, just going off memory), while Ireland was able to quickly control or second spike. Hopefully the next three or so weeks will continue to see the numbers fall and we can have more relaxed restrictions for December and Christmas

I didn't ever find out if this was actually true or not but my history teacher told us once before that during the second world war, Irish people were unhappy that they had to make wholemeal bread due to shortages while the rest of Europe was being bombed to bits. That isn't to belittle people going through financial hardship right now or for me to come across as condescending or on a high horse, but I think for the average person in Ireland, they need to think about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Augeo wrote: »
    I tend to focus on the nations health rather then the economic side of things in times of a global pandemic. Easy to forget the folk with asthma, cystic fibrosis etc who are terrified of catching covid when you can't spend your wad on the €200 hair do.

That post is extremely uncalled for and downright disengeneous. Talk about white knighting yourself.
    I won’t engage with you if you are going to be passive aggressive and nasty, if you can’t make your point without throwing in a few patronising personal attacks it says a lot about the quality of your argument.

We really don't. The French aren't allowed leave their homes without a letter atm, have curfews and can only go 1km from their house? The UK is very similar to ours etc. Italy is starting to extend their 'red zones', Germany is expected to extend their restrictions further, Austria is closing schools and non-essential retail now... will I continue? We just started earlier and will end earlier as well.

Most of Europe is facing restrictions atm.

We did have the longest easing of restrictions but the main thing was the pubs and sporting events which were large gatherings.

Again, why did you think we were "lock in our homes" all summer when we weren't?

Yes, they’re facing round 2 of lockdown after some respite and a break from it all during the summer. Therefore they are not as fatigued and frustrated from it all as we are, and they will likely comply with what is being asked of them.

There are some people here who were only back in work in August, only to be out of work again. There are some people who never got to go back at all, and have been on the PUP since March.
    We had our chance to ease things more quickly and we didn’t take it. Hence you could enjoy a pint in Italy from May onwards but pubs in Dublin haven’t been open since mid March.

That post is extremely uncalled for and downright disengeneous. Talk about white knighting yourself.
    I won’t engage with you if you are going to be passive aggressive and nasty, if you can’t make your point without throwing in a few patronising personal attacks it says a lot about the quality of your argument.
    While I seem to be disagreeing with you SusieBlue re: restrictions, I do agree that there is absolutely no need for people to be condescending or insulting about other's financial situation. While I agree with your other points, Augeo, there's no need for those kind of comments.

I have no problem if you don't engage tbh ........ folk sh1tting on about draconian restrictions and how we should open up like the rest of Europe when they are actually locking down are not worth engaging with tbh :)

• Advertisement

While I seem to be disagreeing with you SusieBlue re: restrictions, I do agree that there is absolutely no need for people to be condescending or insulting about other's financial situation. While I agree with your other points, Augeo, there's no need for those kind of comments.

I've no time for folk that are oblivious to the dangers of Covid19 and who try to spread the message that we are needlessly damaging the economy etc. .......... susie is posting blatant untruths about the Summer as if they are fact........ total spoof. Not to mention the comment about my alleged privilege etc.

The severe negative financial impact of these restrictions is worth talking about, if you disagree then I can only assume you are coming from a position of privilege to be so nonchalant about other people’s struggles. Lucky you.

What a load of t0ss

For pubs not serving food, sure, I can see why they were considered harsh. Maybe even Draconian. I completely get your point. But saying we were all locked up for the summer, as pointed out by Sleet And Snow above, is wrong. Overall restrictions during the summer were very relaxed. And right now they are not (in my opinion) anyway Draconian

Also, correlation does not imply causation but it's interesting that all the European countries with "summer breaks" like France, Spain, the UK, Italy are now back with even stricter restrictions than the first time with huge numbers again, many of which I believe are higher than the first wave (but I can stand over that so don't quote me, just going off memory), while Ireland was able to quickly control or second spike. Hopefully the next three or so weeks will continue to see the numbers fall and we can have more relaxed restrictions for December and Christmas

I didn't ever find out if this was actually true or not but my history teacher told us once before that during the second world war, Irish people were unhappy that they had to make wholemeal bread due to shortages while the rest of Europe was being bombed to bits. That isn't to belittle people going through financial hardship right now or for me to come across as condescending or on a high horse, but I think for the average person in Ireland, they need to think about that

We only increased the travel limit from 2km to 5km on May 5th. At this point everywhere besides hardware stores were were still closed and we were still advised to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.
    The elderly were only told to stop cocooning then too. Meanwhile in Europe you could go for a pint, get a haircut, or buy some non essential retail. We couldn’t even go more than 5km from home.
    The first set of meaningful restrictions were only lifted in mid June iirc, with some industries not opening at all until august.

And yet we’re back in lockdown just like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yes, they’re facing round 2 of lockdown after some respite and a break from it all during the summer. Therefore they are not as fatigued and frustrated from it all as we are, and they will likely comply with what is being asked of them.

There are some people here who were only back in work in August, only to be out of work again. There are some people who never got to go back at all, and have been on the PUP since March.
    We had our chance to ease things more quickly and we didn’t take it. Hence you could enjoy a pint in Italy from May onwards but pubs in Dublin haven’t been open since mid March.

As one of said people on the PUP since March, and a student, one that went out twice a week with my friends at that, we *ALL* still support the lockdown. I've currently been restricting my movements for 4 weeks due to one covid case in my house spreading to another (even though we took drastic action and totally separated ourselves) and have my 4th and hopefully last test today.

This virus spreads like wildfire if you let it. Why are there talks about Europe extending their *severe* lockdowns? Because it got widespread into the community probably because of how fast they opened up. (I know we are going back to level 3 etc)

Why are our numbers dropping? We didn't let it spread as much during the summer so the community transmission here is a lot lower then the rest of Europe (I am presuming, but seems to be accurate considering how Frances numbers etc aren't dropping yet).

They got more freedoms over the Summer and are now paying for it. I personally had a great summer, got drunk with a lot with my friends, had more craic then usual at home and drinking on the beach etc, drinking and eating in the restaurants was great fun, travelled around the wild atlantic way. Most people my age had a great summer so the whole "Fed up of it and didn't get a chance" over summer doesn't work especially considering most pubs let people remain at their tables after their food and so on... and there were plenty of people every age doing the exact same thing over the Summer.

Am I frustrated I can't get a job? Absolutely, I have applied for over 100 places at this point and they all get rejected because of the vast amount of applications but I would rather this then getting to a point like Belgium where they are currently picking and choosing who gets an ICU bed.

And yet we’re back in lockdown just like everyone else.

Looking likely we'll have easing of restrictions in a little over 2 weeks.

Its a blatant personal sly dig, I lost my job due to the first lockdown and ended up unemployed for 6 months, but I did get my hair done when hairdressers reopened using savings and I was very excited for them to reopen. That’s what he’s trying to not so subtly make a point of.
    You’d swear I was minted with his talk of €200 hairdos.

• Advertisement

............... Hence you could enjoy a pint in Italy from May onwards but pubs in Dublin haven’t been open since mid March.

Regions of Italy that include the cities of Naples and Florence were declared coronavirus red zones on Friday, are you oblivious to this?

As one of said people on the PUP since March, and a student, one that went out twice a week with my friends at that, we *ALL* still support the lockdown. I've currently been restricting my movements for 4 weeks due to one covid case in my house spreading to another (even though we took drastic action and totally separated ourselves) and have my 4th and hopefully last test today.

This virus spreads like wildfire if you let it. Why are there talks about Europe extending their *severe* lockdowns? Because it got widespread into the community probably because of how fast they opened up. (I know we are going back to level 3 etc)

Why are our numbers dropping? We didn't let it spread as much during the summer so the community transmission here is a lot lower then the rest of Europe (I am presuming, but seems to be accurate considering how Frances numbers etc aren't dropping yet).

They got more freedoms over the Summer and are now paying for it. I personally had a great summer, got drunk with a lot with my friends, had more craic then usual at home and drinking on the beach etc, drinking and eating in the restaurants was great fun, travelled around the wild atlantic way. Most people my age had a great summer so the whole "Fed up of it and didn't get a chance" over summer doesn't work especially considering most pubs let people remain at their tables after their food and so on... and there were plenty of people every age doing the exact same thing over the Summer.

Am I frustrated I can't get a job? Absolutely, I have applied for over 100 places at this point and they all get rejected because of the vast amount of applications but I would rather this then getting to a point like Belgium where they are currently picking and choosing who gets an ICU bed.

I was out of work for six months myself so I know the struggle.
    Europe got more freedoms and are back in lockdown.
    We got significantly less freedoms and are also back in lockdown. I know which scenario I’d have preferred to play out, cause both scenarios ended up with the same outcome. Both are back in lockdown.

Augeo wrote: »
    Regions of Italy that include the cities of Naples and Florence were declared coronavirus red zones on Friday, are you oblivious to this?

I’m talking about during the summer, from May onwards. Are you incapable of making your point without being openly hostile?

We got significantly less freedoms and are also back in lockdown. I know which scenario I’d have preferred to play out, cause both scenarios ended up with the same outcome. Both are back in lockdown.

I know they did but they are back in bad territory now with very high deaths again, we avoided that this time. I know which I would prefer too.

There are two things I will say about this. One, hindsight is 20/20. We, and I don't think any country, really knew what to do and we are only learning more and more as times goes on. Outside of pubs which didn't serve food, I don't know of much else that wasn't allowed to open during the summer. Was it slower than the rest of Europe? Yes. Is it possible that reduced the prevelance of it in the community and why we are dealing with our second lockdown quicker and will be out quicker than the rest of Europe? I think so. It's likely at this stage that we will be in level 3 for Christmas while the rest of Europe will be in total lockdown. Two, I think we are having different conversations here. We are talking about people calling current measures draconian and using that belief as an excuse not to follow them, not previous ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your been ignorant if you think our restrictions haven't been harsh, in longevity alone we have been under some form of constant restrictions while the rest of Europe hasn't been. The "road-map" was ridiculously slow even when it was sped up.
    Anyway there is a whole forum dedicated to this virus and the conversation has moved away from Cork and more the virus in general.

Step away from the keyboard and remove this ****e from your mind, its the best feeling. And no that doesn't mean don't follow restrictions.

There are two things I will say about this. One, hindsight is 20/20. We, and I don't think any country, really knew what to do and we are only learning more and more as times goes on. Outside of pubs which didn't serve food, I don't know of much else that wasn't allowed to open during the summer. Was it slower than the rest of Europe? Yes. Is it possible that reduced the prevelance of it in the community and why we are dealing with our second lockdown quicker and will be out quicker than the rest of Europe? I think so. It's likely at this stage that we will be in level 3 for Christmas while the rest of Europe will be in total lockdown. Two, I think we are having different conversations here. We are talking about people calling current measures draconian and using that belief as an excuse not to follow them, not previous ones.

Well see that’s where I don’t agree because during the summer when there was calls to speed up the roadmap, the governments answer was that ‘we aren’t quite where we need to be yet’ and a few more weeks would be needed. At this point cases were at single digits and deaths were at zero.
    So what were they waiting for, what was the delay? We were never going to get a better chance than that, it took over 3 months of full lockdown with schools, colleges and crèches closed to achieve that.
    They dropped the ball big time there.

Level 3 still has the majority of hotels, bars and restaurants closed and that’s going to be a lot of people out of work until 2021. I have very little faith that they’ll lift it anyway, they’ll probably do a 2 weeks extension as they did before and then let us go to level 3.5 in mid December until January and then back to level 5 for all.

rob316 wrote: »
    Your been ignorant if you think our restrictions haven't been harsh, in longevity alone we have been under some form of constant restrictions while the rest of Europe hasn't been. The "road-map" was ridiculously slow even when it was sped up.
    Anyway there is a whole forum dedicated to this virus and the conversation has moved away from Cork and more the virus in general.

Step away from the keyboard and remove this ****e from your mind, its the best feeling. And no that doesn't mean don't follow restrictions.
    Agreed, up until yesterday when I was reminded of it in the businesses opening thread, I have forgot about this for ~2 weeks and I have had so much peace. Follow the restrictions and stay safe but try to forget about the virus and just live your life thinking of the positives. There will always be something happening in your life preventing you from doing exactly what you want. This is an extreme situation of that, but persevere and we will all be okay. We can all agree we as a country are in a very fortunate position right now compared to the rest of the world so be positive and stay safe. Good luck everyone, I hope none of ye or people ye know get it

Yeah I agree it’s gone completely off topic now. In other news I saw that click and collect is now available in Office shoes in opera lane, you just call in your order and collect at the door. Handy for anyone wanting to save on delivery costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The reality is that anyone who thinks that they have the answers to this problem that our country and the whole world is suffering, is talking out of their arse!

At the very start of this, I complained about all the "virus experts".
    Most of what the barstool experts thought then turned out to be complete bollix.

No one really knows what is the best thing to do but there is one certainty - a large cohort will blame the government regardless of what they do or don't do.

• Advertisement

In other news,

I'm just back from my 4th test and hopefully last! A lot less cars at the test centre this time, one in front and one behind at the very end. Good sign I hope

Every test has been different so far too so it really depends on the tester you get, this was definitely the worst for my nose! :)

Hopefully it comes back negative! Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

More revision gone on here than Bruce College at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

rob316 wrote: »
    Or we just let these businesses trading on a shoe string continue and the garda do their job of managing the public. Drive around a few times, if there is crowds gathering tell them move on, they'll get the message quick enough. Young people are bored out their bollox and just doing what they usually do and that's socialize.

I think both young and old need to accept the "new normal" , we will be on longer tighter level 5 restrictions if many break the rules still, everyone is bored and suffering, all ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,135 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In other news,

I'm just back from my 4th test and hopefully last! A lot less cars at the test centre this time, one in front and one behind at the very end. Good sign I hope

Every test has been different so far too so it really depends on the tester you get, this was definitely the worst for my nose! :)

Your poor nose, I hope negative, take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Maybe the part where we kept the majority of the population out of work and locked in their houses during the summer when we had less than 5 cases per day and no deaths, basically throwing away our only opportunity to actually open safely and attempt to live with the virus?

Not sure what draconian lockdown kept people locked in their houses during the Summer. There was no lockdown during July and August in Ireland. Some places were closed yes (wet pubs) but plenty of places to go and things to do. I know we did more in Ireland this summer than in all the previous 10 years put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

In other news,

Good to hear that there was less cars at the test centre.

43 Today

Ludo wrote: »
    Not sure what draconian lockdown kept people locked in their houses during the Summer. There was no lockdown during July and August in Ireland. Some places were closed yes (wet pubs) but plenty of places to go and things to do. I know we did more in Ireland this summer than in all the previous 10 years put together.

Not to further detail the thread but I was referring to the ridiculous 2km/5km/20km limits which were imposed on us until late June.
    In May, here in Ireland we couldn’t go further than 2km from home unless it was for essential reasons and we only had hardware shops open.
    Meanwhile in europe you could get a haircut, go for a pint, buy non essential retail, and travel around as you pleased. That’s why our roadmap was draconian compared to other countries.
    We only allowed the last of our industries open on august 10th, those same industries were open and operating safely since May in other countries. That’s why I feel it was more severe here.
    Anyway this is totally derailing the purpose of the thread so I’ll leave the covid talk here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Guys, there's a tendency by some to got too personal and nasty on this thread.
    Lets cut it out or the thread will beclosed.

Advertisement