Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's funny, but (if it isn't already happening) you'd think it'd make a lot of sense to stop (most) people going to shops, and switch to delivery only.

It'd be safer for shop workers, safer for people who don't want to go to the shops, and minimum risk for the delivery people. How many taxi drivers etc. are out there with no work, it'd be a great source of income for them? I'd happily pay 10 euros once or twice a week to have my groceries delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

who_me wrote: »
    It's funny, but (if it isn't already happening) you'd think it'd make a lot of sense to stop (most) people going to shops, and switch to delivery only.

It'd be safer for shop workers, safer for people who don't want to go to the shops, and minimum risk for the delivery people. How many taxi drivers etc. are out there with no work, it'd be a great source of income for them? I'd happily pay 10 euros once or twice a week to have my groceries delivered.

There was a bit on Radio One yesterday re this.

The grocery shops can't just buy a fleet of vans. Each van should have four compartments, as I recall, being cold, frozen goods, ambient & detergent.

Whilst get taxi drivers on board is a good idea, I would suggest there is a risk there they goods will become spoiled, spillages etc. It's up to the grocery shops to decide whether the risk is acceptable & whether the taxi drivers want to take on risk of delivering perishable goods.

TBF, we already have Gardai, GAA clubs, volunteers doing this, so it is not outside realms of possibility. In this scenario, it would be the grocery stores taking on the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

Bradley's on North Main St are advertising home delivery if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I would look local to where you are, SuperValu usually have a service and it would be local to the store itself and not a central booking system.
    See if there's any independent stores near you or even Iceland. Iceland have a delivery service in the UK but i'm not sure how advanced it is in Ireland. if you've never been, Iceland is quite OK for stock and will have most of your needs

Regarding community support, I really don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The amount of couples shopping together is bugging the sh1te out of me.
    Why are they being allowed in together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly have no issue with this, they are in the same household. I have read alot of the rules and materials published in ireland and didnt see a restriction on it in writing. I know Spain and other places do have a restriction in place.

I think if the stores are really limiting numbers in and approaching their limit they should limit it to 1 per household so more households can access the shop. Some of the Aldis are implementing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

Hey, are there any options for home grocery delivery? I tried Tescos but there's no possibility for the next 3+ weeks. Is there any delivery service that does groceries? Or how does Click and Collect work - could I order online and maybe see if I can get a taxi driver to collect?

I've been self-isolating as a precaution (had very mild flu-like symptoms for the last few days) though I'd had very little contact with anyone for weeks before that (live alone, working from home). Have enough food for another 2-3 days but after that I'll have to risk a visit to a shop.

maybe you can avail of this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0330/1127356-cork-kerry-helplines/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Which shops? Supervalue and Lidl have had security stopping more than one person per trolley going in and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Any recent information on confirmed number of positive cases in Cork?

272 is the latest figure up to 1st april.

Which shops? Supervalue and Lidl have had security stopping more than one person per trolley going in and rightly so!

Tesco, Paul Street and Lidl, Cornmarket Street are allowing couples in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Well, just say it, if you think the sale of alcohol should be banned.
    Otherwise you are just wringing your hands saying "it's a disgrace". (popular activity in this thread)

So, tell us what you think should happen with regards to alcohol sales?

Your username is very apt on this occasion. Why are you twisting things? Wringing hands? I stated that I think OL should be closed during the lock-down since booze is non-essential. What part of that don't you understand?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Your username is very apt on this occasion. Why are you twisting things? Wringing hands? I stated that I think OL should be closed during the lock-down since booze is non-essential. What part of that don't you understand?

On the back of that suggestion, I am asking you if you think that alcohol sales should be banned? Why can't you answer a reasonable question?

You do realise that supermarkets sell booze?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Whilst get taxi drivers on board is a good idea, I would suggest there is a risk there they goods will become spoiled, spillages etc. It's up to the grocery shops to decide whether the risk is acceptable & whether the taxi drivers want to take on risk of delivering perishable goods.

I don't think that'd be much of an issue if they're doing individual deliveries (i.e. they're not stuffing a taxi full of multiple orders then driving around for the day with the goods starting to go off). With no traffic on the roads, it's a quick and straight run from the shop to the person's home.

Even if everyone couldn't avail of it, it'd reduce the number of people who need to be milling around shop aisles.

I don't think that'd be much of an issue if they're doing individual deliveries (i.e. they're not stuffing a taxi full of multiple orders then driving around for the day with the goods starting to go off). With no traffic on the roads, it's a quick and straight run from the shop to the person's home.

Even if everyone couldn't avail of it, it'd reduce the number of people who need to be milling around shop aisles.

I follow you there - seems more than reasonable in such an arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

On the back of that suggestion, I am asking you if you think that alcohol sales should be banned? Why can't you answer a reasonable question?

You do realise that supermarkets sell booze?

No, but non-essential outlets should be shut for the duration of the lock-down.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Went to lidl yesterday for the weekly shop and didnt get out of the car. The weekly specials of garden plants etc meant it looked busier then any Christmas. Im just back now and today there was probably 20% of the cars that were there when I was going to go yesterday. Close the off licenses and drinkers will overcrowd supermarkets.
    Personally id prefer stores that can do deliveries and operate within social distancing rules for non essentials that would make leaving home less tempting to be opened such as DIY, paint, gardening suppliers.

OK thanks for answering.

Would not closing some outlets but still allowing alcohol sales just mean the same number of people would be in fewer outlets - therfore more crowded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why do they need to shop as a couple anyhow?
    Ffs.
    One person is well able to do a shop it's not like you're not spending enough time together at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I heard the Tesco radio advert saying that the delivery service should only be used if you cant go outside or vulnerable.

I hope healthy able bodied people that can get off their backside realise that the likes of Tesco and others are extremely busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Ffs.
    One person is well able to do a shop it's not like you're not spending enough time together at home.

I can only speak for myself but I go shopping with my partner. We don't have a car, which means we can only buy what we can carry and two people can carry more than one.. Going together means that we can go to the store one time per week and minimize our exposure.

Think outside the box a bit please, not everyone have the same options and lifestyle as you.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for myself but I go shopping with my partner. We don't have a car, which means we can only buy what we can carry and two people can carry more than one.. Going together means that we can go to the store one time per week and minimize our exposure.

Think outside the box a bit please, not everyone have the same options and lifestyle as you.

I echo the above. On the occasions I or herself have had to go alone, it can be a lot to carry back on foot. Now, we are getting a little more than usual, so more to carry back so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey, are there any options for home grocery delivery? I tried Tescos but there's no possibility for the next 3+ weeks. Is there any delivery service that does groceries? Or how does Click and Collect work - could I order online and maybe see if I can get a taxi driver to collect?

I've been self-isolating as a precaution (had very mild flu-like symptoms for the last few days) though I'd had very little contact with anyone for weeks before that (live alone, working from home). Have enough food for another 2-3 days but after that I'll have to risk a visit to a shop.

SuperValu near me are doing a delivery system, I think you ring with your order and pay over the phone but as all SuperValus are run individually it might depend on where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

Anyone know if the civic amenity sites are open for recycling? Tried ringing today but no luck - Social pages are not very clear (accepting black bag waste as well as bottles/cans).

We usually do the recycling ourselves as opposed to collection, and its really piling up!

RINO87 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the civic amenity sites are open for recycling? Tried ringing today but no luck - Social pages are not very clear (accepting black bag waste as well as bottles/cans).

We usually do the recycling ourselves as opposed to collection, and its really piling up!

I was wondering the same thing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

How do you find doing it your self? Where exactly do you drop it too?

I should be sorted with the groceries, many thanks for the offers.

You're a bunch of legends. I'd hug ye all.... if there weren't a small chance I'd start a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

Not sure about the sites but there are bottle banks across from L'Atitude 51 on Union Quay and another one on Centre Park Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think they were closed but reopened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ffs.

Problem I see is that the one of the couple will probably go walking with his/ her buddy later on ,thus increasing the risk of catching / spreading and back again to the shop in a day or 2 to start again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ffs.

Unloading a full trolley of shopping for a family for a week and then re-loading it to bags/trolley in Lidl/Aldi on your own in the time it takes them to scan it should be considered an Olympic sport :p

Advertisement