Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

In other news,

I'm just back from my 4th test and hopefully last! A lot less cars at the test centre this time, one in front and one behind at the very end. Good sign I hope

Every test has been different so far too so it really depends on the tester you get, this was definitely the worst for my nose! :)

why are you getting tested all the time and why are you telling us this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

mean gene wrote: »
    believe it or not some of us actually care about the wellbeing of others on here

believe it or not some of us actually care about the wellbeing of others on here

nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

mean gene wrote: »

Because I am a close contact and want to actually follow the correct guidelines?

And because, shocker, people have been PM'ing me asking for my experiences, what the queues were like and how the whole process went from this thread so I said I would post it here instead.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not to further detail the thread but I was referring to the ridiculous 2km/5km/20km limits which were imposed on us until late June.
    In May, here in Ireland we couldn’t go further than 2km from home unless it was for essential reasons and we only had hardware shops open.
    Meanwhile in europe you could get a haircut, go for a pint, buy non essential retail, and travel around as you pleased. That’s why our roadmap was draconian compared to other countries.
    We only allowed the last of our industries open on august 10th, those same industries were open and operating safely since May in other countries. That’s why I feel it was more severe here.
    Anyway this is totally derailing the purpose of the thread so I’ll leave the covid talk here.

So much wrong here that I am not even going to bother. Just not worth it.

On a Cork related matter, got message from kids school last week saying case detected. Must be one of the last schools in cork affected at this stage I guess as there has been nothing up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I suppose all the anti street drinkers are delighted with Mehole tonight.

I’m still sticking to my plans anyway whether they ban takeaway drinks or not, be in there on Saturday with my cans and freezer bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought street drinking was always illegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ludo wrote: »
    So much wrong here that I am not even going to bother. Just not worth it.

Suit yourself.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought street drinking was always illegal

I did too, but from what I’ve read today it seems it wasn’t - though there were local bye laws against it on a county by county basis. I don’t think it was legal here in Cork but I believe other counties were more tolerant and lenient in regards to it.
    It looks like emergency legislation is going to be introduced to outlaw it on a national level now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

insofar as I can research, public drinking is broadly not illegal in Ireland.

Being drunk & disorderly is. The Gardaí have the power to confiscate drink if you are consuming in such a way that could cause worry, they are worried for your safety or if you are under the age of 18. See Citizen's Information's page re this. As an aside, that page notes it is an offence to consume alcohol within 100 metres of the off license from which it was consumed. Someone with some more time might want to look into this and how it relates to pubs etc.

Cork has bye laws which prohibit public drinking.

These are provided for under Cork City Council (Prohibition of Consumption Of Intoxicating Liquor on Streets and in Public Places) Bye-Laws 2001.

The Gardaí have the power to impose a €75 fine, which the City Council can follow up, as well as the Gardaí who can chase fines unpaid.

This is the best info I can find on Cork bye laws at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Because I am a close contact and want to actually follow the correct guidelines?

And because, shocker, people have been PM'ing me asking for my experiences, what the queues were like and how the whole process went from this thread so I said I would post it here instead.

:rolleyes:

It's good to hear you have been a close contact but didn't get the virus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Pen Rua wrote: »
    insofar as I can research, public drinking is broadly not illegal in Ireland.

Being drunk & disorderly is. The Gardaí have the power to confiscate drink if you are consuming in such a way that could cause worry, they are worried for your safety or if you are under the age of 18. See Citizen's Information's page re this. As an aside, that page notes it is an offence to consume alcohol within 100 metres of the off license from which it was consumed. Someone with some more time might want to look into this and how it relates to pubs etc.

Cork has bye laws which prohibit public drinking.

These are provided for under Cork City Council (Prohibition of Consumption Of Intoxicating Liquor on Streets and in Public Places) Bye-Laws 2001.

The Gardaí have the power to impose a €75 fine, which the City Council can follow up, as well as the Gardaí who can chase fines unpaid.

This is the best info I can find on Cork bye laws at the minute.

Local authorities began making it illegal about 20 years ago or so. I'm not sure who the first council to do it was but I think Galway might have been one of them. Essentially then other counties followed by copying their legislation and to the best of my knowledge all local authorities had banned public drinking by the early 00's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They don't take a drop off the wino's around town so I never thought it was illegal just you can't be drunk and disorderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    They don't take a drop off the wino's around town so I never thought it was illegal just you can't be drunk and disorderly.

They've always picked their battles. There's not much point in fining a poor homeless fella 75 euros. But they'll happily stop and fine the students strolling into town with road-beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

34 cases in Cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It's good to hear you have been a close contact but didn't get the virus...

Yep! And last result just now was negative again! Delighted

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Local authorities began making it illegal about 20 years ago or so. I'm not sure who the first council to do it was but I think Galway might have been one of them. Essentially then other counties followed by copying their legislation and to the best of my knowledge all local authorities had banned public drinking by the early 00's

I'd say street drinking is everywhere this year, Meehole changing tactic sure Leo was pictured having cans in the park earlier in the summer

The pubs selling the takeaway pints must know that some folks are going to stay around drinking there and then and not take home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hospital update

CUH - 5 total with 1 in critical care
    Mercy - 2 total with 0 in critical care

27 today Cork

ROI now has passed 2000 deaths in total :( RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meehole changing tactic

I'm no fan of the man but this name calling is really fcukin tiresome.

• Advertisement

The deaths are quiet high, is there breakouts in nursing homes they are hiding from us.

I read an article today,virus spreads much more indoors but schools theres no issue, had to get that in lol.

I'm no fan of the man but this name calling is really fcukin tiresome.

Sorry if it offends, Micheal in future so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

fin12 wrote: »
    The deaths are quiet high, is there breakouts in nursing homes they are hiding from us.

I read an article today,virus spreads much more indoors but schools theres no issue, had to get that in lol.

There is an outbreak in a nursing home in the bishopstown area, there have unfortunately been a few deaths there over the last week or so from the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

The testing seems quick enough at the moment, a friend of mine got pinged by the app on Monday & got a call from the HSE, test was yesterday & she got the result early this afternoon (thankfully negative). Seem the newish centre on the Douglas Road is closed again as she had to go to the one in the North Point business park.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There is an outbreak in a nursing home in the bishopstown area, there have unfortunately been a few deaths there over the last week or so from the virus.

Sad to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry if it offends, Micheal in future so

Really, I don't think anyone takes offence - rather it's a tiresome, hackneyed, unfunny, unclever gag.

Really, I don't think anyone takes offence - rather it's a tiresome, hackneyed, unfunny, unclever gag.

I think its pretty funny.

meehole was trending a few weeks ago that was funny then -at this stage boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I find Me haul more accurately describes his political career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fin12 wrote: »
    I think its pretty funny.

that doesn't surprise me.

Advertisement