Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday at around 6 a Garda was moving on any groups gathering or drinking on Cornmarket Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If you look after yourself and avoid risky areas then I don't see how that makes sense.
    We're ridiculously close to the end of this, the government can't hold our hands forever.

the trouble is that they don't. A pity to risk another lockdown as a vaccine is so near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

saabsaab wrote: »
    the trouble is that they don't. A pity to risk another lockdown as a vaccine is so near.
    Who's they? There's a very very small minority who don't follow the rules.
    We're likely 3-4 weeks off the first vaccinations in this country. If people are told to look after themselves for that period then I see very little repercussions to be honest.

Who's they? There's a very very small minority who don't follow the rules.
    We're likely 3-4 weeks off the first vaccinations in this country. If people are told to look after themselves for that period then I see very little repercussions to be honest.

They are those who feel 'free to do whatever they think is safe' and haven't a clue or care less. A minority to be sure but enough to case spread like the case from Spain in the Summer.

They are those who feel 'free to do whatever they think is safe' and haven't a clue or care less. A minority to be sure but enough to case spread like the case from Spain in the Summer.
    Over a long term period yes. This is nearly over though, so we need to completely change our approach.
    Hence, why Micheal Martin said it's going to be on the people to do what's right.
    People are massively underestimating how close we are to being back to normal.

• Advertisement

Back to normal won't be possible until April or so next year at the earliest.

Back to normal won't be possible until April or so next year at the earliest.
    Majority of at risk people will be vaccinated by February/March, latest. We'll be well on our way back to normal at that point.

Majority of at risk people will be vaccinated by February/March, latest. We'll be well on our way back to normal at that point.

I hope you are right but that's if everything goes well, it may not. I'd say it will be longer.

I hope you are right but that's if everything goes well, it may not. I'd say it will be longer.
    I think you're underestimating the power of pharma companies and the speed at which the vaccination process will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

There was a Garda car parked by Bodega this evening when I passed with groceries.

Garda Twitter also showing there is a bigger presence in Cork this weekend, noting a number of public order offence arrests this evening.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1330262588693819392?s=21

• Advertisement

I think you're underestimating the power of pharma companies and the speed at which the vaccination process will happen.

Maybe, but I was talking to a city pharmacist who said that it will take us a fair while to set up and roll out what is needed without the Defense forces being involved!

Maybe, but I was talking to a city pharmacist who said that it will take us a fair while to set up and roll out what is needed without the Defense forces being involved!
    The defense forces will 100% be involved. They've been involved in testing and tracing all along, no reason why they won't be involved in the biggest vaccination effort of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

We're likely 3-4 weeks off the first vaccinations in this country.

The clinical trials for two of them have concluded successfully. But now they have to be approved, manufactured, distributed, and administered. Expert commentators say that the best case scenario, assuming emergency approval, is that there will be very limited quantities available by year end, with these going to the most vulnerable people (presumably ICU staff, etc.). Widespread availability is unlikely before March/April. Also, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines both require two shots, and there’s a couple of weeks wait for full immunity to develop.

cantalach wrote: »
    The clinical trials for two of them have concluded successfully. But now they have to be approved, manufactured, distributed, and administered. Expert commentators say that the best case scenario, assuming emergency approval, is that there will be very limited quantities available by year end, with these going to the most vulnerable people (presumably ICU staff, etc.). Widespread availability is unlikely before March/April. Also, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines both require two shots, and there’s a couple of weeks wait for full immunity to develop.
    They're already manufactured. Distribution starts within 12 hours of approval.
    EMA is already in rolling approval phases for 3 vaccines (Pfizer, Oxford, Moderna), FDA is in approval phase of 1 (Pfizer).

Pfizer distributing 100 million doses by year end and 100 million every month after that. (Moderna and Oxford have even more, with J&J & Novavax closely following behind)
    Protection is possible with the one dose, sterilising immunity is with the two doses, 28 days apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It is great to be optimistic which you always are, but I do think you are being a bit too optimistic here. June/July is more realistic I think.
    I actually looked into booking summer holidays earlier this evening but backed away as it is all too uncertain for now.

*edit* I am always pessimistic about these things so hopefully you are closer to the mark than I am.

Ludo wrote: »
    It is great to be optimistic which you always are, but I do think you are being a bit too optimistic here. June/July is more realistic I think.
    I actually looked into booking summer holidays earlier this evening but backed away as it is all too uncertain for now.
    I'm not being optimistic, it's completely realistic. Within literally 6-12 hours of approval the EU will begin sending doses. People will be vaccinated in this country by year's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It's great to see the city buzzing again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,696 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Can’t view? What is it about?

Just loads of people being out and about and the Gardai chasing them and a fella who’s a bit dramatic commenting on it.
    Then the usual Karen’s saying how shocked they are about it.

Just loads of people being out and about and the Gardai chasing them and a fella who’s a bit dramatic commenting on it.

or "Karens" who are worried they might not see their families at christmas if the restrictions aren't lifted?

about 200 people outside the library tonight. queues around the block at Soho and Sober Lane (Ernest may have closed Electric, but he just moved the takeaway pints across the river) another 100 people outside the chateau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

EnzoScifo wrote: »

It was pretty much the same as that when I was in late this afternoon, minus the drama of the Garda car driving on the footpath to get to Tuckey St. Plenty of space between groups, Garda van was parked up by the boardwalk for visibility, a few Gardaí walking around, stopping to chat to the odd group overtly drinking. Was a pretty cheerful and safe feeling atmosphere. Looks a lot worse with selective pictures taken from a distance so you can't see the space between people.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It was pretty much the same as that when I was in late this afternoon, minus the drama of the Garda car driving on the footpath to get to Tuckey St. Plenty of space between groups, Garda van was parked up by the boardwalk for visibility, a few Gardaí walking around, stopping to chat to the odd group overtly drinking. Was a pretty cheerful and safe feeling atmosphere. Looks a lot worse with selective pictures taken from a distance so you can't see the space between people.

I was driving through there at 9pm from the late night chemist and it was the opposite. very few on the boardwalk, but a lot of people with little social distancing on the plinths outside the library

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Zardoz

People just meeting up with mates
    [/url]

People wondering why numbers are still high then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was driving through there at 9pm from the late night chemist and it was the opposite. very few on the boardwalk, but a lot of people with little social distancing on the plinths outside the library

The plinths were busy enough when I was there too, no worse than people sitting in a restaurant though.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The plinths were busy enough when I was there too, no worse than people sitting in a restaurant though.

When I'm in a restaurant I usually dont have 15 to 20 people within a metre of me, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

They're already manufactured. Distribution starts within 12 hours of approval.
    EMA is already in rolling approval phases for 3 vaccines (Pfizer, Oxford, Moderna), FDA is in approval phase of 1 (Pfizer).

Pfizer distributing 100 million doses by year end and 100 million every month after that. (Moderna and Oxford have even more, with J&J & Novavax closely following behind)
    Protection is possible with the one dose, sterilising immunity is with the two doses, 28 days apart.

It would obviously be great if this could happen sooner rather than later. But there must be some reason why all the expert commentators are so cautious about the timeline?

Mr Hamou, who volunteers with the One Human Community charity, which conducts soup runs at weekends, said he took the footage at 8pm.

It shows people, many without masks, milling around Grand Parade, and some skateboarding. At one point a garda car appears.

Mr Hamou said it was a similar story last weekend in the city.

"We will never get out of this lockdown if we keep doing this," he said.

Mr Hamou said he appreciated many people out on the streets were young, but he added that many appeared to be drunk and were not wearing masks or practicing social distancing.

He said of the street area in Cork city where he was tonight: "[there was] over a thousand people, easy."

What is captured in the footage was corroborated by a garda source familiar with activity in the city centre this weekend, who said there was a "carnival atmosphere" driven by takeaway alcohol and which placed officers in a difficult position due to the sheer number of people on the streets.

"Last night [Friday] was probably one of the busiest nights we have had since the beginning of the whole Covid thing," the garda said, adding of the scenes on Saturday evening, "it seems to have built on that.

"There seems to be a kind of carnival atmosphere taken on."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40086989.html?type=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe a spell of cooling heels in the bridewell is what's needed for those who can't take a hint.

Delighted there's arrests. Only thing that'll make people cop the fcuk on.

Advertisement