Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Shock horror Dr Tony and his cronies want restaurants to be take away only for food and drink until the new year. Amazing how out of touch with reality they are. Off License’s and super markets must be licking their lips in anticipation for their sales of alcohol to go through the roof even by normal Christmas standards. The gards will also be delighted with the constant call’s from people in regards too illegal get together’s I’d imagine and from talking too a family member who is currently a gard they aren’t ecstatic at the idea of it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭PreCocious

Shock horror Dr Tony and his cronies want restaurants to be take away only for food and drink until the new year. Amazing how out of touch with reality they are. Off License’s and super markets must be licking their lips in anticipation for their sales of alcohol to go through the roof even by normal Christmas standards. The gards will also be delighted with the constant call’s from people in regards too illegal get together’s I’d imagine and from talking too a family member who is currently a gard they aren’t ecstatic at the idea of it either.

NPHET's role is to give the public health advice. Just like your doctor will suggest that you drop a few pounds or give up the fags.

The Government's job is to assess this advice and weigh it up along with other factors and then make a decision. Much like when we go home from the doctor, mull over what was said and decide the diet will start next month.

I don't understand the criticism for NPHET doing their job. Amongst all their recommendations people seem to forget that they constantly advise that ICU and hospital capacity needs to be increased, that tracing needs to be expanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Are the updated LEA figures out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Are the updated LEA figures out?
    i shall do it now one moment!!

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 10/11/2020 to 23/11/2020

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 10 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 26.8 (-2.7)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 cases, LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 cases

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 43 (-17), LEA rate per 100k pop: 122.4 (-48.3)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 13 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 38.1 (-14.7)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 38 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 90.1 (-7.1)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 17 (-23), LEA rate per 100k pop: 42.3 (-57.2)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 77 (+35), LEA rate per 100k pop: 199.1 (+90.5)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 26 (-9), LEA rate per 100k pop: 60.8 (-21)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 92 (+27), LEA rate per 100k pop: 195.5 (+57.3)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 17 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 46.7 (-2.7)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 17 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 68.2 (-28.1)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (+1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 73.3 (+2.7)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (-9), LEA rate per 100k pop: 68.6 (-30.9)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 59.4 (-6.6)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 10 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 33 (-23.1)

Fairly significant increases seen in the two most troublesome LEAs of Cork City South West and Cork City South Central. Continuous decrease in the remainder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

December 4th now seemingly for restaurants to reopen according to RTÉ reports

18 new cases today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1332433811330781184?s=21

Garda Twitter sharing that there’s good compliance in Cork, and no large groups tonight.

Everyone must be home for the Late Late...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I don't mind queuing for shops too much, the experience of queuing for Tesco is transformed into a painful experience by those fcukers with a tin whistle, 2 guitars, a pretty powerful amp and a tambourine.
    It's bad enough having to walk past these fcukers performing at gig volumes, it's another experience, altogether having to endure them for 5 or 10 minutes while queuing for your shopping.

I really wish something could be done to regulate the volume of buskers with modern, portable, affordable amplification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

While I don't mind queuing for shops too much, the experience of queuing for Tesco is transformed into a painful experience by those fcukers with a tin whistle, 2 guitars, a pretty powerful amp and a tambourine.
    It's bad enough having to walk past these fcukers performing at gig volumes, it's another experience, altogether having to endure them for 5 or 10 minutes while queuing for your shopping.

I really wish something could be done to regulate the volume of buskers with modern, portable, affordable amplification.

Oh for f*ck sake, we have enough restrictions. Put in your headphones if u don’t want to listen.

fin12 wrote: »
    Oh for f*ck sake, we have enough restrictions. Put in your headphones if u don’t want to listen.

Is there any volume level that you would not find acceptable on the streets? Surely there must be some limit to how much noise someone can make on our streets. How loud do they have to get before controls are brought in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is there any volume level that you would not find acceptable on the streets? Surely there must be some limit to how much noise someone can make on our streets. How loud do they have to get before controls are brought in?

Get on to the city council if you have such an issue with it.

fin12 wrote: »
    Get on to the city council if you have such an issue with it.

Gosh, I never would have thought of that.
    So helpful.
    Don't know what I'd do without you, Fin.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Also, any chance you might answer my question?

I find myself agreeing with you. The music just rebounds around the square, and is a nuisance. I assume there is a small bit of residential property around the area, so can only imagine how it is for them.

I was there the other evening, and it was a guy with an amp & guitar up to the max. Appreciate he's just out there making a living or whatever, but I don't think sound limits are totally out of the question. IIRC, Galway has them in place for buskers (albeit to the frustration of said buskers).

As an aside, can Tesco PLEASE buy more of the blue wheelie trolleys?! The metal baskets are too small & cumbersome for a weekly shop (I find). It makes me want to get in and out ASAP and not even think about incidental spending. I'm sure if I could stroll with the wheelie basket, I'd spend more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Back on topic folks, please!

What's the story with pubs selling take-away beers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

degsie wrote: »

Not much to it, you buy it and drink it, supposedly at least 100m away. There's technically a fine for drinking on the street but once you're not taking the piss the Gardaí seem ok with it.

18 new cases in cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not much to it, you buy it and drink it, supposedly at least 100m away. There's technically a fine for drinking on the street but once you're not taking the piss the Gardaí seem ok with it.

Never had trouble with my hip flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Drove through town tonight again after a trip to the pharmacy.

Much better compliance has to be said. Loads around, but they all seemed to be distancing properly in comparison to last weekend. It actually looked pleasant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,130 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

degsie wrote: »

I think either open up all pubs or keep close, treat them the same and if they cannot adhere to safe distancing etc., then close them but at least give them all a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think either open up all pubs or keep close, treat them the same and if they cannot adhere to safe distancing etc., then close them but at least give them all a chance

Close them individually if they are in breach or close them all if one is in breach?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/large-chunk-cork-citys-pubs-19365590
    [...]

A number of owners agreed amongst themselves to stick to the hot drinks and not serve any beers for Friday and Saturday night.

[...]

CorkBeo understands it was suggested by the Vintners Federation - and the majority of businesses said they were OK with the idea.

The Oval, Mutton Lane, Poor Relation, Charlies, Bodega, and more have all stoped doing the pints.

[...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Gosh, I never would have thought of that.
    So helpful.
    Don't know what I'd do without you, Fin.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

Also, any chance you might answer my question?

Water cannon would sort them out fairly quickly along with the moaning publicans who have been given too much air time of late.

7 additional cases today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,130 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Close them individually if they are in breach or close them all if one is in breach?

Individual if breach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Pen Rua wrote: »

Not all places did!

Was in a queue for a takeaway pint yesterday, and the staff got spooked when they saw how long the queue was so they shut up shop.

I was next in line for a Birra Moretti but just missed out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,696 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How do ye think the shops will be Tomorrow and in the coming weeks?
    Well tomorrow places will be mobbed but how will places be later on in December?
    I’m from the country and would go to the shopping centers in the evenings in the weeks before Christmas and I never found places mobbed really.
    Will this year be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

How do ye think the shops will be Tomorrow and in the coming weeks?
    Well tomorrow places will be mobbed but how will places be later on in December?
    I’m from the country and would go to the shopping centers in the evenings in the weeks before Christmas and I never found places mobbed really.
    Will this year be different.

I'd be inclined to give the shops a miss over the next few days, I'd imagine they will be manic with long queues. Beyond that it will be all about timing, very early in the morning would be my preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seamai wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to give the shops a miss over the next few days, I'd imagine they will be manic with long queues. Beyond that it will be all about timing, very early in the morning would be my preference.

You would have to be some eejit to join seething masses for shopping. But it'll like the beaches all over again.

Advertisement