Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

In the words of Dr Gabriel Scally - "It's no use having a good Christmas if you're burying friends and relations in the new year."

Anyone at high risk of actually dying from this virus should be cocooning taking the strongest measures to protect themselves, surely that’s a no brainer?
    And the people who fall into this bracket won’t be doing anything that could expose them to the virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Anyone at high risk of actually dying from this virus should be cocooning taking the strongest measures to protect themselves, surely that’s a no brainer?
    And the people who fall into this bracket won’t be doing anything that could expose them to the virus?

So my elderly mother should spend Christmas alone?

seefin wrote: »

That’s not remotely what I said at all. People need to protect themselves as best they can and limit their contacts to a number they are comfortable with, according to their own personal risk.
    I would assume that anyone vulnerable or who believes themselves to be high risk of dying from this would be taking any and all steps to protect themselves over the next few weeks regardless of the restrictions being lifted.

That doesn’t necessarily mean I think your elderly mother should spend Christmas alone, just that you need to take whatever course of action you are most comfortable and confident with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Pubs were open for all of two weeks before they were shut when we went back to level 3 again. They are once again being made scape goats for something that wasn’t their fault.

They have been closed for almost 9 months now, nearly a full year of lost business while the bills are still mounting up and I don’t think there’s anything remotely greedy about them anxiously trying to salvage any kind of income they can, just like every other industry is.

Other businesses have been closed as long but didn't spend months undermining the public health advice as this lobby did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Other businesses have been closed as long but didn't spend months undermining the public health advice as this lobby did.

That's some straw you are grasping, the rise in cases was because the publicans asked to be left open?

• Advertisement

No other business in any other industry has been forcibly shut for over 9 months of this year, so it’s not exactly an equal comparison.
    They weren’t even a chance to properly open, to see how they got on, every other industry was given that chance. So I don’t really see how they undermined any public health advice when they weren’t even allowed open to do so.
    Especially when you consider that pubs in most EU countries were open for business throughout the summer.

Blaming them for cases in September when they were barely given a chance to open is making them scapegoats.
    Far more cases and clusters have come out of nursing homes, meat factories, hospitals, direct provision centres and schools but people would still rather blame the hospitality industry than acknowledge that the government dropped the ball when it came to protecting our most vulnerable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

seefin wrote: »

U should self isolate before meeting her or anyone else who is.

Greedy publicans

The ones who made themselves into a "restaurant" when they were nothing resembling one and ignored the guidelines were a disgrace.
    Loads of actual pubs only opened briefly and followed guidelines.

Folk mentioning that pubs were in most EU countries were open for business throughout the summer should have a peak at how those EU countries are getting on now with Covid, to summarise, they are getting on quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭shnaek

Far more cases and clusters have come out of nursing homes, meat factories, hospitals, direct provision centers and schools.
    Didn't I read somewhere that over 60% of our cases in September came from people traveling from abroad? I fear that's going to be the cause of the rise again after Christmas, much more so than anything we are doing here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

shnaek wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere that over 60% of our cases in September came from people traveling from abroad? I fear that's going to be the cause of the rise again after Christmas, much more so than anything we are doing here in Ireland.

Ehh - I thought a small % of our cases related to travel abroad? As in single digits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I think some article said 60% of cases detected were from a strain that originated in Spain. But thats not the same thing as saying 60% were travel related.
    This started in China, so really 100% is travel related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

No other business in any other industry has been forcibly shut for over 9 months of this year, so it’s not exactly an equal comparison.
    They weren’t even a chance to properly open, to see how they got on, every other industry was given that chance. So I don’t really see how they undermined any public health advice when they weren’t even allowed open to do so.
    Especially when you consider that pubs in most EU countries were open for business throughout the summer.

Blaming them for cases in September when they were barely given a chance to open is making them scapegoats.
    Far more cases and clusters have come out of nursing homes, meat factories, hospitals, direct provision centres and schools but people would still rather blame the hospitality industry than acknowledge that the government dropped the ball when it came to protecting our most vulnerable people.

We heard little moaning from the coach hire, transport industry who have arguably suffered more than the publicans.

Publicans for the most part cant even abide by the existing licensing laws and plenty of evidence of them breaking covid regulations also.

No scapegoating here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We heard little moaning from the coach hire, transport industry who have arguably suffered more than the publicans.

Publicans for the most part cant even abide by the existing licensing laws and plenty of evidence of them breaking covid regulations also.

No scapegoating here.

They run a good campaign, I would think some of the publicans shouting loudest didn't even want to open, they were just keeping the pressure on to get the best deal for their families and staff, just a negotiation tactic, how bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They run a good campaign, I would think some of the publicans shouting loudest didn't even want to open, they were just keeping the pressure on to get the best deal for their families and staff, just a negotiation tactic, how bad.

I don't think yer man Cribbins of the VFI did his members any favours.
    In fact I can't see how the VFI do anything for their members, generally.
    I think he just got people's backs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Outbreaks in factories, rampant in hospitals, nursing homes destroyed.

“But but but those greedy publicans are at it again PJ!!!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

Heard CUH covid admissions are up overnight - ~ 13 people in CUH now with Covid.

11 cases in Cork today.

Wetherspoons was jammers this evening, with a queue down the alley to get in. Packed queue, zero masks (not that it makes a difference when they’re in drinking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Any local area numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Wetherspoons was jammers this evening, with a queue down the alley to get in. Packed queue, zero masks (not that it makes a difference when they’re in drinking).

Were you in it?

• Advertisement

physioman wrote: »
    Were you in it?

No, I was passing by after groceries and on the way for a haircut.

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 24/11/2020 to 07/12/2020

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 11 (+2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 29.5 (+5.4)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 cases, LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 cases

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 7 (-4), LEA rate per 100k pop: 19.9 (-11.4)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 9 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 26.4 (-14.6)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 47.4 (-16.6)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 12.4 (-)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 46 (-48), LEA rate per 100k pop: 119 (-124.1)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 11 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 28 (-2.4)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 28 (-60), LEA rate per 100k pop: 59.5 (-127.5)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 cases, LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 cases

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 5 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 20.1 (-20)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 73.3 (-8.1)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 cases, LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 cases

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 6 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 13.2 (-11)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 7 (-4), LEA rate per 100k pop: 23.1 (-13.2)

Fairly remarkable progress made across the county in the last week, really significant decreases

No scapegoating here.

They weren’t open, they have been closed since March of this year, so they couldn’t possibly have contributed towards any uptick in cases.
    You can’t possibly expect to blame them when they weren’t even open, that’s absolutely ridiculous. You are making them scapegoats and it’s glaringly obvious to anyone reading.
    Anyone who has been completely out of work for almost a full year would be moaning, no one group is more entitled to complain than the other.
    It’s unfair for employees of every industry that have had their livelihoods destroyed, not just the transport industry.

And if you’re concerned about undermining of public health advice, I suggest you direct your frustration and anger at those in charge of hospitals and nursing homes, where the virus is still rampant 9 months later and infecting our elderly and vulnerable citizens at an alarming, unacceptable rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pen Rua wrote: »

Is that a food pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that a food pub?

Ya they do food.

.....-.....

Fairly remarkable progress made across the county in the last week, really significant decreases

Reflects 2 to 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure the last week will yield much progress..... Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that a food pub?

They do food. The food isn't exactly gourmet but it does the job if hungry. The drink is cheap and they have good cask ales though.

12 new cases in Cork today.

We now officially have the 3rd lowest incidence in the whole country behind only Kerry and Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

12 new cases in Cork today.

We now officially have the 3rd lowest incidence in the whole country behind only Kerry and Leitrim.

For the size of the county that’s incredible! Fair play! We must be close to figures now after the move to level 3 aren’t we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's great that our numbers are stable for a while now.

Advertisement