Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

cantalach wrote: »
    So when the Taoiseach was having his phone call with the Chinese premier, should he have chastised him for his handling of the virus before or after he asked for his assistance in obtaining adequate supplies of medicines, PPE, etc.?

Also, when you say that the “Chinese people believe”, I’m really curious to know which publication took the time to poll 1.4B people. Do please share your source!

If he was on to the Chinese hoping to get assistance from them, maybe he could have asked them why they put the first whistleblower doctor behind bars for being a traitor only then to release him when the rest if the world found out. The poor guy died of the virus eventually. If you think it's right for our country to cosy up to this type of regime, then that's up to you. But the rest of us have a moral compass. And of course, unless you didn't know, China is a secretive authoritarian regime where such polls are not allowed so the only evidence you can get is through foreign journalists and social media. People there are scared to speak out. One of the reasons the West is in such a mess with this pandemic is that manufacturing has been contracted out to China during the last 20 years. That's why Leo has to beg them for equipment. And I suppose it hasn't been lost on you that a load of the equipment that the Chinese sold to us is defective or useless. But the HSE won'ttell us how much or whether well get our money back. 200 million is the value of this order apparently. The same happened with shipments of equipment from China to Spain about a week ago. The test kits they received were only accurate 30% of the time.
    But that's going to change in other countries from here on. Globalisation is going to look very different in 5 years from now with nations taking back control of production. Although Ireland will still be floating around depending on the good will of anyone who cares. Pity we didn't have a bit more pride amongst those who are elected to office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Humilde wrote: »
    If he was on to the Chinese hoping to get assistance from them, maybe he could have asked them why they put the first whistleblower doctor behind bars for being a traitor only then to release him when the rest if the world found out. The poor guy died of the virus eventually. If you think it's right for our country to cosy up to this type of regime, then that's up to you. But the rest of us have a moral compass. It reminds me of the history of the war when the Irish thought about appeading thw Nazi's at one stage. And of course, unless you didn't know, China is a secretive authoritarian regime where such polls are not allowed so the only evidence you can get is through foreign journalists and social media. People there are scared to speak out. One of the reasons the West is in such a mess with this pandemic is that manufacturing has been contracted out to China during the last 20 years. That's why Leo has to beg them for equipment. And I suppose it hasn't been lost on you that a load of the equipment that the Chinese sold to us is defective or useless. But the HSE won'ttell us how much or whether well get our money back. 200 million is the value of this order apparently. The same happened with shipments of equipment from China to Spain about a week ago. The test kits they received were only accurate 30% of the time.
    But that's going to change in other countries from here on. Globalisation is going to look very different in 5 years from now with nations taking back control of production. Although Ireland will still be floating around depending on the good will of anyon5e who cares. Pity we didn't have a bit more pride amongst those who are elected to office

OK. The equipment sent by the Chinese was compatible as per WHO standards. But cannot be used here as our medics are not used to them. That means approx 70% WAS apparently fit for purpose. So what exactly do you suggest with the moral compass you speak of? That the Irish, Italians, Spanish and yes, even good old Uncle Sam turn down the help when it's offered?? The Chinese have also sent medics to help.

You also forgot the bit where the Irish offered reciprocal help with research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

TheChizler wrote: »
    Quarterly fees, most banks have them.

Seem high im with boi pay about 15/16 a quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

I think cluster locations should be revealed

Heard it was a small pub in blackpool crowd back from Cheltenham were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

How do you find doing it your self? Where exactly do you drop it too?

Simple (up to now!). Once a month job. We separate and clean all the recycling as we use it, as do our neighbors on our small lane - each month then one of us will make the trip to either Mallow or Kinsale Rd. recycling centres.

2 euros entry - nothing when we are recycling for three households at a time!
    At the recycling centres there are separate skips for plastic wrap, plastic bottles, plastic containers, cardboard, tetra pak, paper, food tins, drinks cans and glass.

If you have it all separated before you go it takes no time at all.
    We share a non recyclable bin between three houses, collected once a month and do our own compost - our rubbish costs are very, very low this way.

With Covid, obvs we cannot be sharing journeys and stuff, but you don't interact with anyone at the centre - entry is a coin operated barrier. So we would still like to be able to do it ourselves, as its piling up now. It was mentioned that they opened back up, but that only mentions black bag rubbish and glass.

Glass and cans aren't an issue, as was mentioned there are plenty of bottle/can banks around - but we still need to get rid of plastic and cardboard - but all said, its just a small thing in the grand scheme of things right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's a rip off. Use digital banks like Monzo and Revolut instead. :)

Revoult customer service is pretty ****e,was on live chat last evening,answer i got was " busy and will be in contact in several hours time"
    they don't accept Irish licences or government national identity cards ?
    So as my passport is out of date I couldn't verify my documents identification, nightmare

Revoult customer service is pretty ****e,was on live chat last evening,answer i got was " busy and will be in contact in several hours time"
    So as my passport is out of date I couldn't verify my documents identification, nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

I think I read somewhere that the Revolut customer service isn't great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The Chinese have also sent medics to help.

That's very nice of them...... it's like a person starting a fire in a building and then sending some firemen over to put it out. When the fire wouldn't have started in the first place if it wasn't for them.

I think what the poster is getting at is that China should be held to account for the misery they've caused throughout the world. Their blatant cover up of the beginning of the outbreak has caused a lot of this mess if they had acted straight away then things would not be as bad as they are now.

So forgive me and other posters for not pandering to the Chinese and being delighted with the equipment they are sending.

How this all started should not be forgotten but sadly I believe it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

OK. The equipment sent by the Chinese was compatible as per WHO standards. But cannot be used here as our medics are not used to them. That means approx 70% WAS apparently fit for purpose. So what exactly do you suggest with the moral compass you speak of? That the Irish, Italians, Spanish and yes, even good old Uncle Sam turn down the help when it's offered?? The Chinese have also sent medics to help.

Wow. That's a lot of explaining there. Reality is that the blinking equipment was wrong. And of story. What I'm trying to get at is that if it weren't for the negligent actions of the Chinese we mightn't be in this God awful tragic mess. I'm no fan of trump but he is the only one who has even vaguely called out the Chinese. The British are considering withdrawing diplomatic relations with China. And we are praising them for the wonderful work they've done, and hoping they might send us some poor quality equipment in return. You couldn't make it up. And to think that Varadkar has spent the last two years belittling our largest trading partners in Britain and then wants to be China's best friend. The sooner Sinn Fein get in the better. Although I really don't trust any politicians. But I still think they'd be at least a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I wish that we had the best PPE in the world to deal with this but the fact is there's a worldwide shortage.

I'm thankful to have what we do have because I know there are many other nurses around the world who have none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

304 (at midnight on Thursday 2 April)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ofcork wrote: »
    Heard it was a small pub in blackpool crowd back from Cheltenham were there.

I heard that too.

That's very nice of them...... it's like a person starting a fire in a building and then sending some firemen over to put it out. When the fire wouldn't have started in the first place if it wasn't for them.

I think what the poster is getting at is that China should be held to account for the misery they've caused throughout the world. Their blatant cover up of the beginning of the outbreak has caused a lot of this mess if they had acted straight away then things would not be as bad as they are now.

So forgive me and other posters for not pandering to the Chinese and being delighted with the equipment they are sending.

How this all started should not be forgotten but sadly I believe it will be.

Totally agree and this is just the latest nasty virus to have originated from them.

And the most f*cked up thing is they seem to be profiting from this aswell.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not sure if this thread is the right place for my cheery positivity, but fair play to the pavilion! Ordered some plant seeds and bulbs this afternoon, and they delivered then at 9.30 this evening.

Delighted! Every other shop I tried was either sold out, or had shut it's doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

Is there anywhere in Ireland that can produce manufacture test kits?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/randox-ships-covid-19-test-kits-to-wuhan-hospitals-1.4190697

Was wondering why can't they deploy them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Wow. That's a lot of explaining there. Reality is that the blinking equipment was wrong. And of story. What I'm trying to get at is that if it weren't for the negligent actions of the Chinese we mightn't be in this God awful tragic mess. I'm no fan of trump but he is the only one who has even vaguely called out the Chinese. The British are considering withdrawing diplomatic relations with China. And we are praising them for the wonderful work they've done, and hoping they might send us some poor quality equipment in return. You couldn't make it up. And to think that Varadkar has spent the last two years belittling our largest trading partners in Britain and then wants to be China's best friend. The sooner Sinn Fein get in the better. Although I really don't trust any politicians. But I still think they'd be at least a breath of fresh air.

I'm not praising the Chinese by any means. Please point out where I said that. I simply pointed out what happened as per press I've read.

This virus has hit, and the world cannot fight this as a single country. We need to fight this together on a world-wide basis. Now is not the time for finger-pointing, or making claims about who wants to be whose friend or belittling Britain - actually, if you look, it's the other way round. Britain doesn't think much of Ireland. Never did. And I say that as an Englishwoman!

.red. wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that the Revolut customer service isn't great!!

Sorry I replied only once,but didn't go through so hit the send again ( boards server problems )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm no fan of trump but he is the only one who has even vaguely called out the Chinese.
    And he’ll be praising them when it suits his needs.
    The British are considering withdrawing diplomatic relations with China.
    They won’t.
    And to think that Varadkar has spent the last two years belittling our largest trading partners in Britain and then wants to be China's best friend.
    Our largest trading partner that wants to leave us behind, and took repeated digs at us as they leave, not caring if the troubles start up again?
    No one has gone on a tirade against China, for a good reason, after this there’s still trade to be done. $hitty, but that’s politics.
    The sooner Sinn Fein get in the better.
    Yeah, they’re record of governance in NI is the envy of all. The sooner SF get in the better, so people can stop looking at them as if they’ll radically change the country for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    Totally agree and this is just the latest nasty virus to have originated from them.

And the most f*cked up thing is they seem to be profiting from this aswell.

Could worldwide collectively sue China? :o:p

Could worldwide collectively sue China? :o:p
    No, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

If he was on to the Chinese hoping to get assistance from them, maybe he could have asked them why they put the first whistleblower doctor behind bars for being a traitor only then to release him when the rest if the world found out. The poor guy died of the virus eventually. If you think it's right for our country to cosy up to this type of regime, then that's up to you. But the rest of us have a moral compass. And of course, unless you didn't know, China is a secretive authoritarian regime where such polls are not allowed so the only evidence you can get is through foreign journalists and social media. People there are scared to speak out. One of the reasons the West is in such a mess with this pandemic is that manufacturing has been contracted out to China during the last 20 years. That's why Leo has to beg them for equipment. And I suppose it hasn't been lost on you that a load of the equipment that the Chinese sold to us is defective or useless. But the HSE won'ttell us how much or whether well get our money back. 200 million is the value of this order apparently. The same happened with shipments of equipment from China to Spain about a week ago. The test kits they received were only accurate 30% of the time.
    But that's going to change in other countries from here on. Globalisation is going to look very different in 5 years from now with nations taking back control of production. Although Ireland will still be floating around depending on the good will of anyone who cares. Pity we didn't have a bit more pride amongst those who are elected to office

Hard to know where to start responding to that. You read an awful lot into my position on the Chinese regime and my worldview generally based on a relatively short response to your previous post.

First off, to address your “in case you didn’t know” comment and subsequent lecture, I’ve been in China a couple of times and witnessed firsthand the fear that the regime instils. In fact, after my last visit I undertook never to go back unless there is regime change. I completely despise it. It is increasingly like Orwell’s nightmare made real. I’ve also been all around SE Asia and it worries me greatly at how China’s tentacles are extending into the wider region. The land grab (sea grab?) we’re witnessing in the South China Sea is disgraceful. So yes, I do know. Really.

And I won’t argue with you about reaping the cost of globalisation. For a long time now I’ve bored the arse of anyone who’d listen about the inherent risk of JIT delivery with very long supply chains extending into China. I hope the current situation will cause multinationals to reconsider.

But I’m puzzled by your statement, “that’s why Leo has to beg them for equipment.” My puzzlement is because that is the essence of what I was saying. If you are in a desperate situation and begging for help, that is not the time to criticise your potential saviour. Lives depend on getting these supplies and if a little bit of “cosying up” and ego massaging is required to save those lives, then I’m comfortable with our Taoiseach doing that. Geopolitical idealism - much and all as I might be attracted to it in normal circumstances - will not save any Irish life. Deal with that afterwards.

No, unfortunately.

Why not? Could not do what happened to Germany in Treaty of Versailles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That didn`t turn out well for the world in the following decades did it?

No. This wasn’t a declaration of war situation. Sovereign immunity prevents it (from what I heard a lawyer mention on a conference call when COVID-19 was raised).
    Very possible there will be repercussions for China, but it’ll be far more subtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

And to think that Varadkar has spent the last two years belittling our largest trading partners in Britain and then wants to be China's best friend.

The sooner Sinn Fein get in the better. Although I really don't trust any politicians. But I still think they'd be at least a breath of fresh air.

Our largest trading partner is Belgium.

We're headed for recession, do you trust Sinn Fein to lead us out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lads, this is a thread on the novel coronavirus in Cork.

Advertisement