Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder why Cork is doing so well and say Claremorris doing so badly at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

whatever76 wrote: »
    Heard CUH covid admissions are up overnight - ~ 13 people in CUH now with Covid.
    Meant to reply to this yesterday.
    I'm not sure where you heard this from - I heard from a relative it was 2 in hospital yesterday.
    HSE report just this moment confirms 2 in CUH and 1 in Mercy with none in ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wonder why Cork is doing so well and say Claremorris doing so badly at the moment?

Commuter town? I stopped off there on my way to Derry so maybe others do similar, lovely town.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

12 new cases in Cork today.

We now officially have the 3rd lowest incidence in the whole country behind only Kerry and Leitrim.
    Town was packed today and lots without a mask. I think in 2 weeks we'll see a large increase .

Town was packed today and lots without a mask. I think in 2 weeks we'll see a large increase .
    If I had a euro for every time I heard this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

I was in town a few times this week and I thought that there was a high number of people wearing masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Remarkable, well done to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^^ Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

We might manage zero covid for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sonrisa wrote: »
    We might manage zero covid for Christmas!
    We're going to get the opposite if anything unfortunately, I'll be very surprised if there's not signs of an increase in the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

TheChizler wrote: »
    We're going to get the opposite if anything unfortunately, I'll be very surprised if there's not signs of an increase in the next few days.

That's the problem with good numbers, they get worse in, it's great when you have bad numbers you can predict an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks for that cheerful post.

Friendly reminder the 7 day average continues to drop and is down to ~230 from 260 last week.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Thanks for that cheerful post.
    It's a deadly virus we shouldn't get complacent about, I'll be cheerful about it when it's gone. As nice as a zero covid Christmas would be its not going to happen and we shouldn't drop our guard.

It's a deadly virus we shouldn't get complacent about, I'll be cheerful about it when it's gone.
    It's never ever ever going to be gone

It's never ever ever going to be gone
    Gone or under control through vaccination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is it me or does nobody seem to have gotten the flu this year?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    There has been 0 flu cases in Ireland so far this year

It's a deadly virus we shouldn't get complacent about, I'll be cheerful about it when it's gone. As nice as a zero covid Christmas would be its not going to happen and we shouldn't drop our guard.

Nowhere did I say or even suggest that we should drop our guard but things are better now than they have been for a long time so let’s enjoy that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

SARS-CoV-2 is endemic now. It won’t be eradicated but we will soon have measures to reduce risk to near zero.

Corks numbers at the minute are remarkable. In the bottom 3 with Kerry and Leitrim despite being the second city. There will be an inevitable uptick in the coming weeks but that’s the price we’ve already acknowledged we have to pay to have some sort of a Christmas. It’s likely we’ll have some sort of restrictions in January but with a number of positives on the way (vaccines, warmer weather, improved testing regimens and better understanding of the virus itself) January should be the last major hurdle we face.

marno21 wrote: »
    SARS-CoV-2 is endemic now. It won’t be eradicated but we will soon have measures to reduce risk to near zero.

Corks numbers at the minute are remarkable. In the bottom 3 with Kerry and Leitrim despite being the second city. There will be an inevitable uptick in the coming weeks but that’s the price we’ve already acknowledged we have to pay to have some sort of a Christmas. It’s likely we’ll have some sort of restrictions in January but with a number of positives on the way (vaccines, warmer weather, improved testing regimens and better understanding of the virus itself) January should be the last major hurdle we face.
    This. Well said.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Nowhere did I say or even suggest that we should drop our guard but things are better now than they have been for a long time so let’s enjoy that.
    I didn't say you said anything like that. My point is responding to the post hoping for a Covid free Christmas. There's nothing to indicate we're heading in that direction unfortunately and the last thing we should do is behave as if we are. I'm being realistic, cheerful doesn't come into it.

From what I’ve seen most people aren’t behaving as if we are going to be Covid free for Christmas. I’ve been out and about and for the most part almost everyone is wearing masks and being compliant. As said above, we will never again be Covid free - we will always need to be vaccinated against this disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

20 today. A blip I presume. Regardless, a very, very good week for the second city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

20 today. A blip I presume. Regardless, a very, very good week for the second city

198 are men / 230 are women
    66% are under 45 years of age
    The median age is 34 years old
    122 in Dublin, 46 in Donegal, 30 in Limerick, 22 in Laois, 20 in Cork and the remaining 189 cases are spread across all other counties

Hopefully it is just a blip and thing will improve again.

20 + <5 yesterday remains ~11/12 per day, lower than the last week. Still doing really really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Last summer In Australia (their flu season) Influenza basically disappeared , the Covid control measures made it extinct ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

A deadly virus which 99% of people survive! Give it a rest will ya!

Advertisement