Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is it me or does nobody seem to have gotten the flu this year?

No flu or many many other virus’s seem to have disappeared aswell as deaths from asthma and other respiratory issues... funny huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A deadly virus which 99% of people survive! Give it a rest will ya!
    If 1% of the people you knew were to die this year from a preventable illness you wouldn't be too happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

TheChizler wrote: »
    If 1% of the people you knew were to die this year from a preventable illness you wouldn't be too happy.

They do every year

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

You'd change your attitude if a member of your family died from it, think before you make a comment ffs.

TheChizler wrote: »

Happens every day. It’s life!

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    You'd change your attitude if a member of your family died from it, think before you make a comment ffs.

I did think. What about the people who are taking their life’s from depression and suicide caused by locking healthy people up in their homes for weeks and months at end? Once it’s not a Covid related death does it not count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I really don't get the people getting offended over death every time someone mentions it. There's been 1.6 million deaths from COVID. 1.6 million people die regularly every 10 days.

The issue with COVID isn't death - it's the hospitals. It's the people who survive needing medical care is why we have lockdowns, not death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really don't get the people getting offended over death every time someone mentions it. There's been 1.6 million deaths from COVID. 1.6 million people die regularly every 10 days.

The issue with COVID isn't death - it's the hospitals. It's the people who survive needing medical care is why we have lockdowns, not death.

I agree to an extent ACE, but there is something about a death from COVID that seems unnecessary, as it is preventable.
    Preventable, as it is new to the population and a vaccine is just around the corner.

It's the sense that a loved one died due to actions or inactions by others (be that governments or populations) that makes it more sad and unjust.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I agree to an extent ACE, but there is something about a death from COVID that seems unnecessary, as it is preventable.
    Preventable, as it is new to the population and a vaccine is just around the corner.

It's the sense that a loved one died due to actions or inactions by others (be that governments or populations) that makes it more sad and unjust.
    I don't think we should place the blame of any death by a virus on someone else, to be honest.

And I don't get why the word 'preventable' is associated with COVID. Preventable means something simple can be done to stop it.

The flu is preventable, we have a vaccine. Seatbelts mean road traffic deaths are preventable.
    COVID in my mind is not preventable at this time. It will be in a few months.

Locking down a nation =/= 'preventing'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I don't think we should place the blame of any death by a virus on someone else, to be honest.

And I don't get why the word 'preventable' is associated with COVID. Preventable means something simple can be done to stop it.

The flu is preventable, we have a vaccine. Seatbelts mean road traffic deaths are preventable.
    COVID in my mind is not preventable at this time. It will be in a few months.

Locking down a nation =/= 'preventing'.

I have to disagree with every point you made there ACE, but fair enough!

Overall, I think we have done very well with this phase of the pandemic at a national and county level.

I hope that in historical terms we will look back at this time as a challenge that we met effectively.
    At least in comparison to other countries.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I have to disagree with every point you made there ACE, but fair enough!

Overall, I think we have done very well with this phase of the pandemic at a national and county level.

I hope that in historical terms we will look back at this time as a challenge that we met effectively.
    At least in comparison to other countries.
    I think we made a complete and utter b*lls of it to be honest. Highest healthcare worker infection rate in Europe, mass nursing home deaths, but touché.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I think we made a complete and utter b*lls of it to be honest. Highest healthcare worker infection rate in Europe, mass nursing home deaths, but touché.

It will be in years to come that we can judge how well each country did. Also given countries are recording things differently some comparisons aren't really worthwhile.

Yes we did make a balls of it... 100%

We had no plan from day one and just winged it
    Remember when we were told wear gloves everywhere? Then the mask fiasco! Changing from needed too not needed... who can forget the “we need too live alongside the virus” speech but instead of living with it we just got put into lockdown
    Then the whole road map and levels speech which they contradicted themselves on the same day they announced it 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People are experts always after the fact. There was definitely mistakes and the structure of lockdowns could have been done a lot, lot better but they were needed, places like Sweden are literally begging for help now after seeing cases rocket up with their method. Very few countries got it anywhere close to right. I've never seen a year really where so many think they know so much about things they, chances are, would never have had a single discussion about before in their lives. Quoting studies, retweeting/quoting "experts" who just happen to go along with said persons opinion, the absolute obsession from some with needing alcohol in pubs and dressing it up as 'the pubs are suffering' (which they absolutely are of course, but the reason is not sincere from some) have all been eye opening, but not entirely surprising behaviour from this year.

Corholio wrote: »
    People are experts always after the fact. There was definitely mistakes and the structure of lockdowns could have been done a lot, lot better but they were needed, places like Sweden are literally begging for help now after seeing cases rocket up with their method. Very few countries got it anywhere close to right. I've never seen a year really where so many think they know so much about things they, chances are, would never have had a single discussion about before in their lives. Quoting studies, retweeting/quoting "experts" who just happen to go along with said persons opinion, the absolute obsession from some with needing alcohol in pubs and dressing it up as 'the pubs are suffering' (which they absolutely are of course, but the reason is not sincere from some) have all been eye opening, but not entirely surprising behaviour from this year.
    Likewise the absolute obsession from some with blaming the pubs and complete tunnel vision from the real problems has been very eye opening.

Is 99% the global survival rate?

The Irish mortality rate is closer to 3%

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Is 99% the global survival rate?

The Irish mortality rate is closer to 3%
    The Irish CFR is 2.4%.
    Estimated IFR of COVID-19 is circa 0.5% give or take .1/.2%

The Irish CFR is 2.4%.
    Estimated IFR of COVID-19 is circa 0.5% give or take .1/.2%

I make the fatality rate to be 2.8% based on 2,124 deaths from 76,185 confirmed cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I make the fatality rate to be 2.8% based on 2,124 deaths from 76,185 confirmed cases.

The actual number of cases is likely to at least 3 times that number though, if not more.
    Remember back in March in April when testing capacity was so low it was nigh on impossible to get tested? I believe a person had to have a persistent cough, fever, AND have been in contact with a confirmed case/visited an effected area to be considered for a test. Showing symptoms alone wasn’t sufficient like now.
    Many, many people who had the virus were denied testing and just told to isolate and recover at home.
    Not to mention the people who were asymptotic or who caught the virus before it started hitting the headlines - its pretty much accepted now that the first case was in Ireland long before March 2020.
    That will drive that 3% right down, when you consider all that.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The actual number of cases is likely to at least 3 times that number though, if not more.
    Remember back in March in April when testing capacity was so low it was nigh on impossible to get tested? I believe a person had to have a persistent cough, fever, AND have been in contact with a confirmed case/visited an effected area to be considered for a test. Showing symptoms alone wasn’t sufficient like now.
    Many, many people who had the virus were denied testing and just told to isolate and recover at home.
    Not to mention the people who were asymptotic or who caught the virus before it started hitting the headlines - its pretty much accepted now that the first case was in Ireland long before March 2020.
    That will drive that 3% right down, when you consider all that.

No point working with speculative numbers.

• Advertisement

How is that speculative? It's a fact that the fatality rate is less than 1%. We've tested sweet f*ck all, CFR means absolutely nothing.

How is that speculative? It's a fact that the fatality rate is less than 1%. We haven't tested sweet f*ck all, CFR means absolutely nothing.

Multiplying case numbers by 3 or more as suggested above is absolute speculation. you might as well be pulling the 1% rate from your trouser pocket.

Multiplying case numbers by 3 or more as suggested above is absolute speculation. you might as well be pulling the 1% rate from your trouser pocket.
    How is it multiplying cases by 3, what? There's multiple studies done that show the IFR calculated.

WHO: Across 51 locations, the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was 0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average (< 118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118–500 COVID-19 deaths/million people and 0.57% in locations with > 500 COVID-19 deaths/million people
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

10 additional cases today - still on track.

As of today we have the second lowest incidence (25.4) ahead of only Leitrim with 25. 0.4 from first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Great to see the numbers down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The number you’re working with is speculative too. We have no idea how many cases there really were and are because we don’t know when the first case actually occurred.
    We don’t know how many asymptotic people are walking around as we speak, and we don’t know how many positive cases we missed when our testing capacity was extremely small.
    So it’s quite contradictory that you take issue with me saying that there are significantly more positive cases than we think, thus making the death rate quite a bit lower, while holding your own number as holy gospel.
    It’s widely accepted that we didn’t catch most of the cases, particularly back in March/April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As of today we have the second lowest incidence (25.4) ahead of only Leitrim with 25. 0.4 from first!

I am proud of Cork, the largest county, well done us, hopefully we can all have a safe good Christmas with family

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The number you’re working with is speculative too. We have no idea how many cases there really were and are because we don’t know when the first case actually occurred.
    We don’t know how many asymptotic people are walking around as we speak, and we don’t know how many positive cases we missed when our testing capacity was extremely small.
    So it’s quite contradictory that you take issue with me saying that there are significantly more positive cases than we think, thus making the death rate quite a bit lower, while holding your own number as holy gospel.
    It’s widely accepted that we didn’t catch most of the cases, particularly back in March/April.

Whatever suits your narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Whatever suits your narrative.

Do you believe that every covid case in Ireland was diagnosed so far?

Advertisement