Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

fin12 wrote: »
    Where’s the upsurge in cases from all the on street drinking? Should have happened by now... oh that’s right because it had no effect. Just like the pubs won’t.

They're incomparable environments from the point of view of virus transmission though. Anyway, nothing to do with Cork really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

TheChizler wrote: »
    They're incomparable environments from the point of view of virus transmission though. Anyway, nothing to do with Cork really.

Yes it has because I’m talking about the on street drinking in Cork and corks cases at present, for 6 weeks at least in cork prior to easing of restrictions, every weekend without fail you had the uproar about the street drinking , plenty posters on here going on about it so where is the surge in cases in cork to do with the on street drinking. ???

And I’m not comparing the street drinking and pubs with virus transmission, just stated that just like the on street drinking, the opening of pubs won’t result in a surge of cases either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't think I've disputed any facts, I just said it's not surprising?

5 days for symptoms is way too simplistic, in reality there's a very wide bell curve. 2 days for results is at the low end, my own took over a week. There's also a delay in reporting results even if they have results. Cases were low to begin with which makes outbreaks less likely anyway, plus you're in statistical noise territory. It simply takes time for changes to take effect, it's too early to be drawing conclusions. Nothing wrong with encouraging people to be careful.

You stated it takes 2 weeks when the facts from the WHO say 5 days

It takes time? Tell that to the publicans who hardly got 2 weeks open since March and got the brunt of the blame for the spike when the meat factory’s, nursing homes and schools all had far more outbreaks continued.

Even today a school in Kerry had to close early as 17 people tested positive. Imagine the pontificating from people if that was a bar,restaurant or hotel had that number of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Where’s the upsurge in cases from all the on street drinking? Should have happened by now... oh that’s right because it had no effect. Just like the pubs won’t.

Tbf, unless you've got access to a parallel universe where there was covid and no street drinking, you've no idea what cases would have been without it, so you can't say there was no effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, unless you've got access to a parallel universe where there was covid and no street drinking, you've no idea what cases would have been without it, so you can't say there was no effect.

It should be illegal based on this alone, from now on any activity that you cannot demonstrate is safe using a "parallel universe" should not be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

titan18 wrote: »

Whereas in this universe, cases continued to fall, even while that was going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yes it has because I’m talking about the on street drinking in Cork and corks cases at present, for 6 weeks at least in cork prior to easing of restrictions, every weekend without fail you had the uproar about the street drinking , plenty posters on here going on about it so where is the surge in cases in cork to do with the on street drinking. ???

And I’m not comparing the street drinking and pubs with virus transmission, just stated that just like the on street drinking, the opening of pubs won’t result in a surge of cases either.

Fair enough thought we were talking countrywide. The street drinking in Cork while it looked bad was only a relatively small number compared to the numbers heading to restaurants every week. Also you used the words "just like", what else were you doing if not comparing the two?

I don't want to be antagonistic with anyone, just don't want people to drop their guards. We're a long way from being in a place where we can go back to normal without risk. Go out and enjoy Christmas just take precautions while doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whereas in this universe, cases continued to fall, even while that was going on

Maybe, they'd have fallen further if it didn't go on, you don't know that. So it's impossible to say it had or had no effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

"LOL", is the only reasonable response to that, christ on a bike.

Look, I wasn't out there with them so I'm not trying to cover my own arse, but the constant moralising is really really insufferable, especially when the reality does not seem to support it. Would ye not take a break for a few weeks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

ya dey need to open de pubs
    we need to be free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Eloquently put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't think there was 'loads' of giving out about street drinking in Cork, the odd few incidents but saying it happened a lot is exaggerated. Most incidents reported were elsewhere. I think the pubs should have been given a chance to open personally, but saying for certain that it wouldn't have resulted in an increase in cases is impossible to know and just pretending to be knowledgeable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't think there was 'loads' of giving out about street drinking in Cork, the odd few incidents but saying it happened a lot is exaggerated. Most incidents reported were elsewhere. I think the pubs should have been given a chance to open personally, but saying for certain that it wouldn't have resulted in an increase in cases is impossible to know and just pretending to be knowledgeable really.

Where is there a good safe pub (beer garden, ventilation, space) to have a few and a bite in the city over Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

saabsaab wrote: »
    Where is there a good safe pub (beer garden, ventilation, space) to have a few and a bite in the city over Christmas?

Possibly not many, who knows. 'Safe' is such a relative word to some too. Lot of variables across all pubs, and attitude of pub owners too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    40 cases today

We're increasing again :( apparently Christmas parties are responsible according to press briefing, seriously who is having Christmas parties this year :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

40 in Cork today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Balls

Large increase unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Balls

Large increase unfortunately

Has there been a outbreak somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Has there been a outbreak somewhere?

I'd imagine there must be a big cluster somewhere alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Completely expected, expect even higher in the coming days. No surprises here, not sure why the media is freaking out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

you only had to wait one more day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

EnzoScifo wrote: »

So the upsurge today relates back to 4 weeks ago? Don’t think so. Did u not hear there’s a huge clusters in schools. 17 to 19 cases alone in a school in Killorglin.

Corholio wrote: »
    Possibly not many, who knows. 'Safe' is such a relative word to some too. Lot of variables across all pubs, and attitude of pub owners too.

Well, safer than the usual ones. Must be one or two with good space.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    That's weeks ago, likely has nothing to do with today's figures

So the upsurge today relates back to 4 weeks ago? Don’t think so. Did u not hear there’s a huge clusters in schools. 17 to 19 cases alone in a school in Killorglin.

Could be. Maybe some of the people out in crowds that night were teachers... (I'd doubt that personally)

Maybe they were parents or older brothers and sisters of schoolkids.

Truth is we don't know. So smart pronouncements like yours just make you look ridiculous for imagining you've won an argument on the internet.

Time lag?

maybe, maybe not. Easy for a young adult to be infected a month ago, be asymptomatic and infect a younger family member who also remains asymptomatic and continues to go into school. That kid could then infect a classmate who goes home and infects a parent who does eventually show symptoms 2/3 weeks later

This is the reality of the virus

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Time lag?
    Time lag is 7-10 days.

Advertisement