Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

fin12 wrote: »
    110 in Cork. I’m guessing this new uk strain is here.

The curve has the exact same shape as the last two times we had similar restrictions, I see no compelling reason to blame something else without strong evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

That's me in isolation until well after the New Year. Will see the folks for a couple of hours Christmas day, otherwise alone for the next three weeks. Fun!

TheChizler wrote: »
    The curve has the exact same shape as the last two times we had similar restrictions, I see no compelling reason to blame something else without strong evidence.

NPHET confirmed UK strain is here, but not solely responsible for the rise in cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    NPHET confirmed UK strain is here, but not solely responsible for the rise in cases.
    I'm sure it is but some people, government included, seem to be trying to use it as a scapegoat. Until we have proof it's widespread it would be foolish to assume it's responsible for the rise in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's me in isolation until well after the New Year. Will see the folks for a couple of hours Christmas day, otherwise alone for the next three weeks. Fun!

Take Care, Boardies are always here for you

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Take Care, Boardies are always here for you

Cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

110 cases in cork. What's going on? Is this the biggest number so far? There's an outbreak in the direct division centre on the Kinsale road, it's not all coming from there, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

110 cases in cork. What's going on? Is this the biggest number so far? There's an outbreak in the direct division centre on the Kinsale road, it's not all coming from there, is it?
    Not near to the biggest number, we had 150s daily for some days in Sept/Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

How is new strain detected? Is there a separate test?

physioman wrote: »
    How is new strain detected? Is there a separate test?
    Dr Cillian De Gascun, medical virologist and director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, confirmed that the new strain of Covid-19 first detected in Britain has now been deteced in Ireland.

“Preliminary data would suggest, based on a selection of samples analysed from the weekend, that the novel variant from the UK is present in Ireland. However, given the timeline of the samples analysed, it would seem that the novel variant is not solely responsible for the recent increase in case numbers seen in Ireland.”

No need for a separate test, just lab analysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

... Is this the biggest number so far? ...

231 in October.

44 in Cork today.
    Stable.. hopefully stays that way.
    59 in Cork today.
    Today's number includes a backlog of circa 300 cases. To have 59 is actually quite good considering.
    fin12 wrote: »
    110 in Cork. I’m guessing this new uk strain is here.

Update it has been confirmed the new strain is in Ireland.

Nearly double in a day, hate seeing Cork hit over the 100s again :( this new strain spreads faster and easier apparently, stay safe everyone and take care

Was speaking to my GP today just about a prescription and he said he is up the walls with COVID calls. Have two friends who have tested positive today alone, both linked to primary school cases.

Was speaking to my GP today just about a prescription and he said he is up the walls with COVID calls. Have two friends who have tested positive today alone, both linked to primary school cases.

I would say a good few cases are coming from school links yet schools are deemed "safe" and many UK returnees not isolating so pointless having flights delayed or off with the NI border open

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

If I had a euro for every time I heard this

Your post hasnt aged well when you mocked me for saying cases would rise based on what I was seeing in the city. It's actually been less than 2 weeks too.

Hope we see decreases in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Sorry to hear about your 2 friends hopefully they’ll be ok
    Would the GP’s be up the walls with Covid calls from people ringing to get a test before returning to their parents/ families for Christmas. I’d imagine a lot of people will want to get a test and maybe lie about symptoms to get a test
    A woman I work with her daughter did just that; she is coming home from another County today and went for a Covid test on Monday. She had no symptoms of Covid or was in contact with anyone who had but wanted to make sure she didn’t have it before returning home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The positivity rate on the tests is also way up so it's not simply a case that there are more tests.

Stark wrote: »
    The positivity rate on the tests is also way up so it's not simply a case that there are more tests.

Perhaps more asymptomatic cases are being caught though by people with no symptoms getting tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would say a good few cases are coming from school links yet schools are deemed "safe" and many UK returnees not isolating so pointless having flights delayed or off with the NI border open

Just because this new strain is already here doesn’t mean there is no point restricting flights and ferries. You are, in a very literal sense, missing the point.

As it has been since the beginning of this whole thing, the most important part of the game is slowing the spread. Back in March, this was to ensure that services didn’t get overwhelmed. But now there is the added incentive of creating more time for vulnerable people to get the vaccine. Having n seeds makes for a much slower spread than 10*n seeds.

Here’s a possibly useless analogy. I work with a very different type of threat propagation, what used to be called computer viruses (that term is seldom used within the industry nowadays but is useful for this discussion). When an outbreak occurs within an organisation, you don’t just focus on stopping lateral movement within the organisation. That would be daft. You must also, where it can be identified, block the initial vector which is usually an email or dodgy website. This is critical because it takes time for all individual computers to learn how to protect themselves (vaccinated, effectively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perhaps more asymptomatic cases are being caught though by people with no symptoms getting tested

I would expect the positivity rate to go down rather than up if more people without symptoms are going for tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A woman I work with her daughter did just that; she is coming home from another County today and went for a Covid test on Monday. She had no symptoms of Covid or was in contact with anyone who had but wanted to make sure she didn’t have it before returning home

Her daughter should have paid for a test privately. That's extremely selfish behaviour.

Her daughter should have paid for a test privately. That's extremely selfish behaviour.

I completely agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

73 cases in Cork today.

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 08/12/2020 to 21/12/2020

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 43 (+35), LEA rate per 100k pop: 115.4 (+93.9)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 7 (+ ~3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 31.2 (+ ~27.2)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (+19), LEA rate per 100k pop: 76.8 (+54)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 24 (+12), LEA rate per 100k pop: 70.3 (+35.1)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 29 (+17), LEA rate per 100k pop: 68.8 (+40.3)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 44 (+26), LEA rate per 100k pop: 109.5 (+64.7)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 33 (+20), LEA rate per 100k pop: 85.3 (+54.3)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 55 (+46), LEA rate per 100k pop: 128.6 (+107.6)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 22 (+11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 46.8 (+23.4)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 23 (+11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 63.5 (+30.2)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 5 (+ ~1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 20.1 (+ ~15)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 12 (-4), LEA rate per 100k pop: 32.6 (-10.8)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 12 (+ ~8), LEA rate per 100k pop: 41.2 (+ ~36)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 22 (+12), LEA rate per 100k pop: 48.4 (+26.4)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 6 (+ ~2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 19.8 (+ ~ 15)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's a big increase in South East.

cantalach wrote: »
    Just because this new strain is already here doesn’t mean there is no point restricting flights and ferries. You are, in a very literal sense, missing the point.

As it has been since the beginning of this whole thing, the most important part of the game is slowing the spread. Back in March, this was to ensure that services didn’t get overwhelmed. But now there is the added incentive of creating more time for vulnerable people to get the vaccine. Having n seeds makes for a much slower spread than 10*n seeds.

Here’s a possibly useless analogy. I work with a very different type of threat propagation, what used to be called computer viruses (that term is seldom used within the industry nowadays but is useful for this discussion). When an outbreak occurs within an organisation, you don’t just focus on stopping lateral movement within the organisation. That would be daft. You must also, where it can be identified, block the initial vector which is usually an email or dodgy website. This is critical because it takes time for all individual computers to learn how to protect themselves (vaccinated, effectively).

I meant it is correct restricting flights and ferries but travel from and through NI is still happening with no control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Your post hasnt aged well when you mocked me for saying cases would rise based on what I was seeing in the city. It's actually been less than 2 weeks too.

Hope we see decreases in the weeks ahead.

I’d say there’s a good few posts haven’t aged well.
    “We won’t see case numbers like October again”
    “Max 600 a day by January”

We’re approaching 1,000 now. Who knows what will happen over the next week but every chance that hasn’t peaked yet. I don’t begrudge people meeting for Christmas but the amount of people mixing tomorrow will have to have an impact.

Fingers crossed it’s not too bad & this lockdown won’t be as long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

When they are flying in paddys from london with no enforcement forget the restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Fingers crossed it’s not too bad & this lockdown won’t be as long.
    I don't think we'll see pubs and restaurants open anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine who works in the HSE was finishing up for xmas yesterday when she got a call to say she's being redeployed back to swabbing duty and to report for the first 12-hour shift on Stephen's day. Would certainly make you think things aren't going well as last time she was doing this was back in the early Summer.

Advertisement