Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Big increase unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Omg. F**king pubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Omg. F**king pubs!

Possibly a cluster in a provision centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Only 744 announced today. Seems low, so that 131 here might be a bit low as well.

Numbers all over the place because of Christmas I say. The Covid app is showing county cases for 25th now and has 325 for Cork and about 3,000 overall which can’t be right. Over next couple days we should see a clearer picture.

At a guess it’s showing 2 days numbers, so we could have had about 160 each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There were only 3000 tests done today, take the numbers with a pinch of salt. There's backlogs and all thrown into todays figure. Numbers will be way off for next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say low testing over Christmas, expect high numbers incoming sorry to be a negative nelly, everyone take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd say low testing over Christmas, expect high numbers incoming sorry to be a negative nelly, everyone take care

This doesn't bode well, to use the Celtic Tigerism "we all partied".

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/taxi-driver-says-house-parties-held-most-nights-of-the-week-in-mallow-39893206.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, this is one situation where positivity doesn't actually help anyone.

There's no surprises with the numbers we are seeing. Anyone who claims to be surprised was just in denial before Christmas.
    People wanted to have Christmas, this is the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That'll give him a good name for business. Although he is right, why would u go on radio about your clients.

TheDriver wrote: »
    why would u go on radio about your clients.

I'd say just for the chance to be on de raadio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

According to the app, there were 325 cases in Cork on Christmas Day. However in looking at the rest of the figures, they don’t add up to the reported number for Christmas Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say just for the chance to be on de raadio!

He's right but his clients aren't covering themselves in glory.

Would you rather this went unsaid?

Would you rather this went unsaid?

Not at all.

Ah sure it's just people having the craic.... The elderly and otherwise vulnerable to covid just need to look after themselves and allow everyone else rock away to their choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

TheDriver wrote: »
    That'll give him a good name for business. Although he is right, why would u go on radio about your clients.
    I didn't realise we were in level 5. Everyone is still just doing whatever.

Are there distance restrictions?

Is public transport for essential workers only?

I know retail is business as usual, is there takeaway pints?

Are people allowed to visit each others gardens??

There used to be clear rules, now I have no bloody clue what the hell is allowed. I'm just going to continue keeping myself safe in the way that I have been because that's how I've avoided it so far.

According to the app, there were 325 cases in Cork on Christmas Day. However in looking at the rest of the figures, they don’t add up to the reported number for Christmas Day.
    I think that's actually the 24th and 25th.

19/12 - 44 (329)
    20/12 - 46 (375)
    21/12 - 59 (434)
    22/12 - 110 (544)
    23/12 - 73 (617)
    24/12 - ???
    25/12 - ???
    26/12 - 131 (748)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There used to be clear rules, now I have no bloody clue what the hell is allowed. I'm just going to continue keeping myself safe in the way that I have been because that's how I've avoided it so far.

You are on the internet ....problem solved...

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a1f21-ireland-placed-on-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19-with-a-number-of-specific-adjustments/

I think that's actually the 24th and 25th.

19/12 - 44 (329)
    20/12 - 46 (375)
    21/12 - 59 (434)
    22/12 - 110 (544)
    23/12 - 73 (617)
    24/12 - ???
    25/12 - ???
    26/12 - 131 (748)

Yep its over 2 days

Thanks for that

"From 1 January:

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)"

Nobody allowed in your garden. That's idiotic. I'll meet them in tesco or the gym in that case, much safer.

Also are we expected to learn off all the restrictions and requisite dates when they change?

A complete shambles.

A complete shambles.

How would you do it?
    Within the realms of what is possible.

Do you have examples of countries that have done it really well and hence have very low numbers?

Completely closing the borders isn't really doable for many political and practical reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭limnam

Thanks for that

"From 1 January:

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)"

Nobody allowed in your garden. That's idiotic. I'll meet them in tesco or the gym in that case, much safer.

Also are we expected to learn off all the restrictions and requisite dates when they change?

A complete shambles.

While it is all a bit ad-hoc.

If people are constantly looking for a way around them then it doesn't really matter what gets implemented people will find ways around it or ignore it completely

You would think that most behaving with a dash of common sense regardless of what the government imposes everything will be fine. But common sense seems to be a scarce commodity within the government and the general populace.

That's a hell of a lot more scarier than Covid.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

limnam wrote: »
    While it is all a bit ad-hoc.

If people are constantly looking for a way around them then it doesn't really matter what gets implemented people will find ways around it or ignore it completely

You would think that most behaving with a dash of common sense regardless of what the government imposes everything will be fine. But common sense seems to be a scarce commodity within the government and the general populace.

That's a hell of a lot more scarier than Covid.

All you hear when restrictions are announced are complaints from representative bodies and cases being made by them as to why their industry should be exempt from the rules. The head of Retail Excellence Ireland or the Irish Hairdressers Federation aren't exactly qualified in my opinion to comment on public health measures. It's like Tony Holohan or Ronan Glynn going to town on some report on the state of the Irish economy with very basic knowledge of economics. Nobody would take them seriously. I'll take my public health advice from the people suitably qualified and employed by the state to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

https://whatsnew.citizensinformation.ie/2020/12/22/ireland-is-moving-to-level-5-restrictions-from-24-december/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Latest hospital figures

CUH increased from 9 to 14 with 1 in ICU. However, 4 of those 5 are as a result of positive in-hospital tests.
    Mercy increased from 2 to 3, 1 discharge and 2 positive in-hospital tests.

I'm hearing a pub was raided in Kilbrittain and a few cases positive now from that gathering, lock in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

I'm hearing a pub was raided in Kilbrittain and a few cases positive now from that gathering, lock in

none as queer as folk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

My Mum at 87 went through a major potentially fatal illness this end of summer. Was in hospital for 6 weeks only able to do zoom calls. My sister is back from the US now as it could maybe the last time she sees her alive. Selfish ? Probably. Care ? Nah.

My Mum would rather see her grandkids this Christmas than be hiding away in a ****ing bedroom scared. We went out today, masks on, 4k walk and a trip to Supervalu. And no-one ****ing died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭shawki

Heckler wrote: »
    My Mum at 87 went through a major potentially fatal illness this end of summer. Was in hospital for 6 weeks only able to do zoom calls. My sister is back from the US now as it could maybe the last time she sees her alive. Selfish ? Probably. Care ? Nah.

My Mum would rather see her grandkids this Christmas than be hiding away in a ****ing bedroom scared. We went out today, masks on, 4k walk and a trip to Supervalu. And no-one ****ing died.

Please don't tell me your sister went to supervalu, could you let me know what supervalu?

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    And no-one ****ing died.

Yet.

Advertisement