Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

Have people come across many checkpoints ive been stopped at 3 this week was expecting more tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ofcork wrote: »
    Have people come across many checkpoints ive been stopped at 3 this week was expecting more tbh.

What happens when u get stopped?

Exact same question at each one what is the purpose of your journey,me ,coming from work,guard ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Exact same question at each one what is the purpose of your journey,me ,coming from work,guard ok .

R they standing at a distance when asking these questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Was told they don’t have the powers (yet) to force people to turn around. They can just strongly suggest it.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    R they standing at a distance when asking these questions?

Just outside 2 were at drivers side one at passenger side.

Was told they don’t have the powers (yet) to force people to turn around. They can just strongly suggest it.

Hasn't been signed into law yet I believe although have heard of people turning around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Only been stopped once driving on the way to work (haven't been working much).
    Never been stopped walking and I take a walk daily,in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've not seen many guards around cork city. Living in the Wilton area but can walk into the togher and bishopstown area and theres nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Lads. Be thankful. In Madrid, the current sole job of the police is stopping cars and checking that your journey is essential. If they judge that it's not , then you get a fine and have to get public transport home where you can infected or get infected by all the other passengers. I think the measures in Ireland are really sensible at the moment.

• Advertisement

2 ones I met were Patrick st at night 8.45ish one had a van others were walking stepped off the path to stop me other was douglas road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Hasn't been signed into law yet I believe although have heard of people turning around.
    Best to turn around if not essential. They’re doing this for everyone’s benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

Humilde wrote: »
    Lads. Be thankful. In Madrid, the current sole job of the police is stopping cars and checking that your journey is essential. If they judge that it's not , then you get a fine and have to get public transport home where you can infected or get infected by all the other passengers. I think the measures in Ireland are really sensible at the moment.
    Proper response

I've not seen many guards around cork city. Living in the Wilton area but can walk into the togher and bishopstown area and theres nothing really.

Carrigaline is alive with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That's a little more than 2K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

As shared last week, on walk to Tesco, saw two pairs of Gardaí patrolling early AM in city.

A couple of evenings ago, taking a walk by Fitzgerald Park area passed a pair on bikes. I was hoping they would disperse a group of c. 5/6 young people in the park who were drinking, had music on & were doing tightropes between trees (not homeless persons, they seemed to just be alternative types).

On this morning's shop run, passed another pair on the beat.

In all occasions we have not been stopped, but in all occasions it was evident we were on a walk / going to shop.

As a separate note, it is good to see the staff at Tesco being stern, but fair, with individuals. I saw people stopped and asked to sanitise their hands, and staff are not afraid to tell you to move back 2m, or to stand behind the line at the checkouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Seen more Gardai than ever before I must say myself. But then again the only time have left the house has been to go for a walk once a day and a 5km drive into my mother to deliver food and to sort her meds once a week.
    Haven't been stopped walking or driving, but have seen them stop and question a couple of cars with bikes on the back. I find people who need to drive to go for a cycle now funny. Can you really stay within 2mk of home when you drive to start a cycle. Seen plenty of them around. Idiots.

Ludo wrote: »
    Seen more Gardai than ever before I must say myself. But then again the only time have left the house has been to go for a walk once a day and a 5km drive into my mother to deliver food and to sort her meds once a week.
    Haven't been stopped walking or driving, but have seen them stop and question a couple of cars with bikes on the back. I find people who need to drive to go for a cycle now funny. Can you really stay within 2mk of home when you drive to start a cycle. Seen plenty of them around. Idiots.

Yeah same Lycra lads flying in and out of Carrigaline, definitely not sticking to 2 km

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good to see this.
    I haven't seen any Gardai on patrol in the city centre when I have been out, although that has been only once every few days.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1246830273871970312?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I saw two Gardaí dealing with 3 young people hanging out in a doorway.
    Not fun, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I saw two Gardaí dealing with 3 young people hanging out in a doorway.
    Not fun, I'd imagine.

Yeah the job is crap mostly,I wouldn't/ couldn't do it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Gone way off topic - I'm going to go back and delete the off topic stuff

Not needed at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can only speak for myself but I go shopping with my partner. We don't have a car, which means we can only buy what we can carry and two people can carry more than one.. Going together means that we can go to the store one time per week and minimize our exposure.

Think outside the box a bit please, not everyone have the same options and lifestyle as you.

Um your partner can stay outside, bag them inside and wheel the trolley with packed bags out. Think outside of your box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

have seen lots of cops in and around the city centre over the last week or so..

there seems to be a larger that usual number of, lets say, socially compromised folk hanging around the city centre these days.. (not sure what the correct term is - but I don't like to use the terms wino/homeless etc..

Might be something to do with them not being allowed to hang out in hostels during the day or something? social distancing and all that?

in any event, the cops seem to have their hands full at times..

tough times for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cork has 343 cases (8%) as of midnight Friday 3rd April 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

Brother lives in the Netherlands. Beautiful weather there this weekend. A group of young people were hanging out in a little park across from his house. Within no time local council officials arrived along. They have jurisdiction for enforcement rather than police. The under-18s got a €95 fine and the over-18s got a €395 fine! The Dutch do seem to be making a complete balls of this crisis in terms of the death toll and testing rates. But in terms of enforcement they’re not messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.anpost.com/Community-Support/Request-a-Check-In

An Post will now check in on vulnerable and older persons, see Journal.ie article here. To avail, you fill in the person's address & Eircode at the link above. Might be useful / peace of mind to some in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

Got a reply back from City Council this morning saying that Kinsale Road Civic Amenity is open and accepting recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cork has 343 cases (8%) as of midnight Friday 3rd April 2020

Hi,
    Can anyone explain why C19 numbers are issued using Median format ?
    Why is the mean " the "average" we are used to, not used.
    The median, the "middle" value is used instead ?
    Just curious....

Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone explain why C19 numbers are issued using Median format ?
    Why is the mean " the "average" we are used to, not used.
    The median, the "middle" value is used instead ?
    Just curious....

Jay

It does a better job of underlining the 'at risk' age group, particularly for deaths.

Advertisement