Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The new variant has been proven to be no more virulent than any other variant.

As above, source on this please? I usually hate these kind of posts demanding sources for a claim, but this one is actually interesting and important. Genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Heckler wrote: »
    My sister wasn't swanning around any supervalu. Myself and my mother were. And it was the supervalu in Togher.

You don’t owe an explanation to anyone, the fact that anyone even has the audacity to be repeatedly questioning you as if they are entitled to know which supermarket you went to is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stark wrote: »
    Source? Great news if that's true.
    Ludo wrote: »
    As above, source on this please? I usually hate these kind of posts demanding sources for a claim, but this one is actually interesting and important. Genuinely interested.
    Of course:
    https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1343878143925493766?s=20
    https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1343842048080801792?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Hospital Update

CUH increased by 1 to 15, in-hospital positive test.
    ICU down by 1 to zero.

Mercy no change at 3 with zero in ICU.

Sounds like a hospital outbreak in CUH?

Sounds like a hospital outbreak in CUH?
    1 positive test? No, not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

1 positive test? No, not at all.

I read your post wrong. I read it as increased from 1 to 15. Had to read it a second time. Increase of 1 to 15? So there was 14 originally?

I read your post wrong. I read it as increased from 1 to 15. Had to read it a second time. Increase of 1 to 15? So there was 14 originally?
    Yes

Same guy today:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1344031146808647683

oops...link it to what he retweeted. Sry.

He has not PROVEN anything. It is being investigated all over right now and has not been proven to be more or less virulent as of now. He even mentions "likely" himself. Nothing has been proven either way but most evidence so far points to it being more virulent and hence the extra precautions.

Same guy today:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1344031146808647683

He has not PROVEN anything. It is being investigated all over right now and has not been proven to be more or less virulent as of now.
    He's making a conclusion based on secondary data and not direct analysis of the genome. Correlation =/= causation.

He's making a conclusion based on secondary data and not direct analysis of the genome. Correlation =/= causation.

Also not PROVEN. That is a huge leap and very misleading.

• Advertisement

Also not PROVEN. That is a huge leap and very misleading.
    The tweet you posted making conclusions based on things like contact tracing data is exponentially more misleading than a scientific analysis of the genome.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This new mutation in the UK happily coincides with a requirement to lockdown London 2 weeks after experts told the Government to do so which fell on deaf ears (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55245417). Pubs were opened after lockdown in an area in which it was totally inappropriate to open pubs, especially in Winter. There would have been a massive amount of new cases, new variant or no new variant.

My original hypothesis was that the UK Government saw this new variant take over and decided to blame the explosion of cases on this to deflect from their policy failings and refusal to lockdown London before it became too late. The day after they announced the new variant and countries around the EU started closing borders to the UK, Matt Hancock was doing TV interviews and he looked like he was about to get sick. I thought at the time that he realised that their clever plan to deflect from their own failings had spectacularly backfired and now they were facing border closures for goods 5 days before Xmas

I may be substantially wide of the mark here but what's happened in Ireland is similar to the UK but the starting position in Ireland was better so we won't get hit as bad.

The tweet you posted making conclusions based on things like contact tracing data is exponentially more misleading than a scientific analysis of the genome.

The tweet I posted was just retweeted by the guy you posted earlier. I don't know either of them. Never heard of them. My point is that you said it has been proven to be no more virulent. That's a very misleading claim with zero to back it up. I'll wait for reputable sources to decide either way.

marno21 wrote: »
    My original hypothesis was that the UK Government saw this new variant take over and decided to blame the explosion of cases on this to deflect from their policy failings and refusal to lockdown London before it became too late. The day after they announced the new variant and countries around the EU started closing borders to the UK, Matt Hancock was doing TV interviews and he looked like he was about to get sick. I thought at the time that he realised that their clever plan to deflect from their own failings had spectacularly backfired and now they were facing border closures for goods 5 days before Xmas.

Now this I actually do believe is pretty close to the mark. No proof, but I do think it was all a spectacular own goal by the British government. And then the French etc took full advantage of the screw up for Brexit negotiation purposes.

I suggested this to my wife last week and she dismissed me as a conspiracy theorist quack :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

marno21 wrote: »
    This new mutation in the UK happily coincides with a requirement to lockdown London 2 weeks after experts told the Government to do so which fell on deaf ears (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55245417). Pubs were opened after lockdown in an area in which it was totally inappropriate to open pubs, especially in Winter. There would have been a massive amount of new cases, new variant or no new variant.

My original hypothesis was that the UK Government saw this new variant take over and decided to blame the explosion of cases on this to deflect from their policy failings and refusal to lockdown London before it became too late. The day after they announced the new variant and countries around the EU started closing borders to the UK, Matt Hancock was doing TV interviews and he looked like he was about to get sick. I thought at the time that he realised that their clever plan to deflect from their own failings had spectacularly backfired and now they were facing border closures for goods 5 days before Xmas

I may be substantially wide of the mark here but what's happened in Ireland is similar to the UK but the starting position in Ireland was better so we won't get hit as bad.

Very plausible.
    Hasn't there been multiple variants of the virus all along from different parts of the world?
    Was this one any different?

Very plausible.
    Hasn't there been multiple variants of the virus all along from different parts of the world?
    Was this one any different?
    There's circa 13,000-14,000 mutations. I find it hard to believe that just 1 seems to be 'extra virulent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Next LEA breakdown of COVID is Thursdays right? Getting my days mixed up, not gonna be a nice one I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Acosta

Given the current numbers it's grim to see the high levels of traffic today and the full car parks around the place.

Acosta wrote: »
    Given the current numbers it's grim to see the high levels of traffic today and the full car parks around the place.
    How exactly is that grim?

Just heard that apparently there is a massive COVID outbreak in CUH discovered today.

• Advertisement

How exactly is that grim?

The current high numbers in Cork. I understand people will need to get things before another 5k lockdown, but If I had been heading into some places around the Kinsale road area earlier I would have turned around and gone home.

The current high numbers in Cork. I understand people will need to get things before another 5k lockdown, but If I had been heading into some places around the Kinsale road area earlier I would have turned around and gone home.
    People in traffic and shopping (which is safe, no clusters in retail in Cork) =/= grim. Weird tbh.

People in traffic and shopping (which is safe, no clusters in retail in Cork) =/= grim. Weird tbh.

The traffic reference was in relation to the amount of people out and about today and heading to the shops. OBVIOUSLY it's not dangerous to be sitting in your own car.

You should let the government know how safe retail is. They might leave it open this time around.

The traffic references was in relation to the amount of people out and about today and heading to the shops. OBVIOUSLY it's not dangerous to be sitting in your own car.

You should let the government know how safe retail is. They might leave it open this time around.
    Retail won't be closing because it's dangerous, it'll be closing because they want people to stay at home. If people go shopping they usually go in groups with friends etc. That's the danger, not shops.

Retail won't be closing because it's dangerous, it'll be closing because they want people to stay at home. If people go shopping they usually go in groups with friends etc. That's the danger, not shops.

Thanks for the scoop, but I was aware it is people that spread the virus, not shops. That is why I thought it was grim to see so many piling into shops the day after the highest daily covid figures were announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just heard that apparently there is a massive COVID outbreak in CUH discovered today.

Heads need to roll in management at this stage.
    Its happening far too often in CUH for it to just be bad luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Zardoz wrote: »

Dr Tony didn’t lose his job after the shambles he made of his last role. No way any one loses a job in the HSE. It just won’t happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Zardoz wrote: »

That'll never happen regardless of the incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

164 cases in Cork today.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the scoop, but I was aware it is people that spread the virus, not shops. That is why I thought it was grim to see so many piling into shops the day after the highest daily covid figures were announced.
    Yeah, I'm sure there was 'piles' etc. Grim, awful, disgusting, shame, etc.

Advertisement