Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

6,110 cases today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,115 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

6,110 cases today

I think 291 for Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

291 for Cork. Seems stable enough here around the 250-300 mark. Dublin had 3500 today, madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes stable for the moment in Cork but very high figures

Be interesting to see if we go up when the backlog is cleared

I fear a long lockdown certainly until after St Patricks day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Anyone really see the schools re opening next week? I don’t personally

Honestly can't see how they can open schools next week when things are so bad and hospitals coming under such pressure. Fully expect an announcement tomorrow saying schools closed for all of Jan.

• Advertisement

Government sources saying schools not reopening

As of tonight Cork (453.0) is ranked 18th out of 26 by incidence. The highest is Monaghan (1119.1) followed by Louth (1031.2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Ludo wrote: »
    Honestly can't see how they can open schools next week when things are so bad and hospitals coming under such pressure. Fully expect an announcement tomorrow saying schools closed for all of Jan.

RTE has said a cabinet source said the current discussion/plan is that schools will not reopen until February. Labour are asking if 3rd and 6th years could return to school as normal from Monday.

Norma Foley is to brief opposition leaders tonight so more definite info might come out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

They’re blaming some IT problem for the under reporting of cases. Suspect how it appears to have impacted Dublin nearly exclusively. Somebody probably f**ked up.

Thankfully from a Cork point of view, it doesn’t seem to be affecting us too much. Hopefully we’ve peaked, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Here's another one for you to laugh at. Had someone a few weeks ago in front of me in a queue take their mask off to sneeze!!!

There's stupid people everywhere. Like, we're meant to be wearing masks because we might be contagious, so how does someone think it's ok to take it off in a shop to cough and sneeze. Absolute idiots.

So true even in Cork. Then they say that they can be trusted!

Once had a woman run across the deck to get seasick into the windward side of the boat. You can imagine what happened.

• Advertisement

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    They’re blaming some IT problem for the under reporting of cases. Suspect how it appears to have impacted Dublin nearly exclusively. Somebody probably f**ked up.

Thankfully from a Cork point of view, it doesn’t seem to be affecting us too much. Hopefully we’ve peaked, fingers crossed.
    I agree. Our numbers compared to other counties seem fairly linear bar one maybe two days. Dublin's are all over the place.

Crossbarry takeaway chippers closing, think a few cases around there, some talk of the pub was open back door

Anyone see this article?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/call-spot-fines-crowds-ignore-19559717

Some councillor from Carrigaline giving out about people breaking the 5km rule. Seems to me she was travelling around the place a lot herself. Totally unaware of how hypocritical her actions are.

She only knew about 10% of the people on the beach. Imagine! Who does she think she is, that she should know everyone in an area. Sounds like she wants the beaches to herself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is any security stopping them, I assumed you could not go anywhere without a mask now

I was in MP two weeks before Christmas, waiting outside Boots for herself. A group of 8-9 teenage Traveller girls was standing nearby, not a single mask between them. I spotted one of the MP managers and a security guard observing the situation a little ways off, so I went over to ask why the mask-less girls weren’t being kicked out. The manager said that those 8-9 girls alone represented 75% of Boots annual turnover of fake tan. Ok, he didn’t say that. But he did say that the girls had been asked to leave and had refused, and the on-site Garda had advised them to make no physical contact with any minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Anyone see this article?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/call-spot-fines-crowds-ignore-19559717

Some councillor from Carrigaline giving out about people breaking the 5km rule. Seems to me she was travelling around the place a lot herself. Totally unaware of how hypocritical her actions are.

She only knew about 10% of the people on the beach. Imagine! Who does she think she is, that she should know everyone in an area. Sounds like she wants the beaches to herself tbh.

Was she travelling for groceries, work, essential care or any other essential reason? If so, the 5km rule does not apply.

For the millionth time, the 5km radius applies for exercise only. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

It's been clear since the 2km/5km rule was brought in that you can go beyond it for such essential reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Government sources saying schools not reopening

Hopefully they separate secondary from primary at least. Secondary I can see some point to closing. They mix in corridors, tend to get close to each other, teenagers aren't known for their rule adherence and are ok maybe at working independently.

Primary is different. 4 year olds, No point in putting them in front of a laptop screen for hours. They don't mix outside their pods in the schools. My experience is that the system they have works... The incident of covid in my kids school didn't transmit to a single other person.. And covid doesn't affect small children. Plus all the other services in primary schools beyond education , like the mmr jab, eye and ear tests, social services etc.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Was she travelling for groceries, work, essential care or any other essential reason? If so, the 5km rule does not apply.

For the millionth time, the 5km radius applies for exercise only. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

It's been clear since the 2km/5km rule was brought in that you can go beyond it for such essential reasons.

Ya she was buying groceries on the beach. SMH.

What your saying, applies to her too. How does she know the people she saw weren’t out on essential business. Maybe, we have 100s of Marine Biologists in Cork.

To be clear, I couldn’t give a **** that she was on the beach or anybody else. Safe activity and have no problem with it. Was just calling this councillor a hypocrite. FFS, thought that was obvious.

And aware of the rules, thanks anyway.

pwurple wrote: »
    Hopefully they separate secondary from primary at least. Secondary I can see some point to closing. They mix in corridors, tend to get close to each other, teenagers aren't known for their rule adherence and are ok maybe at working independently.

Primary is different. 4 year olds, No point in putting them in front of a laptop screen for hours. They don't mix outside their pods in the schools. My experience is that the system they have works... The incident of covid in my kids school didn't transmit to a single other person.. And covid doesn't affect small children. Plus all the other services in primary schools beyond education , like the mmr jab, eye and ear tests, social services etc.
    I know of at least 25-30 cases (luckily my family members who were close contacts tested negative) linked to the local primary school since the week before Christmas so can't say I agree, to be honest.

That’s interesting ACE.

25-30 includes what? Kids, teachers, parents, all of the above? All linked to one class or across a few classes?

cantalach wrote: »
    ....... 75% of Boots annual turnover of fake tan. Ok, he didn’t say that. But he did say that the girls had been asked to leave and had refused, and the on-site Garda had advised them to make no physical contact with any minors.

Shopping center has an onsite Garda?

• Advertisement

....... 75% of Boots annual turnover of fake tan. Ok, he didn’t say that. But he did say that the girls had been asked to leave and had refused, and the on-site Garda had advised them to make no physical contact with any minors.

That’s interesting ACE.

25-30 includes what? Kids, teachers, parents, all of the above? All linked to one class or across a few classes?
    1 class, 6th class. Teacher was positive. 5-6 kids tested positive + all their family members. Likely further community transmission throughout the town. The post office is now closed, as an example.

I was in MP two weeks before Christmas, waiting outside Boots for herself. A group of 8-9 teenage Traveller girls was standing nearby, not a single mask between them. I spotted one of the MP managers and a security guard observing the situation a little ways off, so I went over to ask why the mask-less girls weren’t being kicked out. The manager said that those 8-9 girls alone represented 75% of Boots annual turnover of fake tan. Ok, he didn’t say that. But he did say that the girls had been asked to leave and had refused, and the on-site Garda had advised them to make no physical contact with any minors.

I suppose you would be weary of confrontation

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I know of at least 25-30 cases (luckily my family members who were close contacts tested negative) linked to the local primary school since the week before Christmas so can't say I agree, to be honest.

I agree as well. My sister is a primary school teacher and there have been a few cases in her school. A lot of primary school kids are too young to understand the concept of social distancing or absent mindedly forget about it very easily. Secondary students wear masks as well. Primary kids do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I agree as well. My sister is a primary school teacher and there have been a few cases in her school. A lot of primary school kids are too young to understand the concept of social distancing or absent mindedly forget about it very easily. Secondary students wear masks as well. Primary kids do not.

Of course a few children in the school have had it if it is in the community, if it hasn't spread through the school that is a good indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yip. When this all kicked off, I remember the disproportionate role of asymptomatic carriers was quickly identified. And now the latest research is highlighting how we forgot this and how much transmission is occurring due to (again asymptomatic) children.

I cannot see how schools and creches can open next week given the high number of cases, parents and teachers are worried

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Of course a few children in the school have had it if it is in the community, if it hasn't spread through the school that is a good indication.

My point was more about higher chance of transmissibility of Covid in primary schools over secondary schools. My sister has had to clean runny noses of young kids, had kids sneezing and coughing on her etc. Secondary teachers are unlikely to be dealing with that to the same extent. Couple things like that with less understanding/awareness of social distancing by students and non mask wearing amongst the students. Teachers also have to mix to some extent so a school wide outbreak could easily happen. You can also throw subs going to maybe two or three different schools in a week into the mix as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I cannot see how schools and creches can open next week given the high number of cases, parents and teachers are worried

Can't see them opening either. Even if they are open, my kids are staying at home for at least a further week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Augeo wrote: »

Yeah, the manager said they did in the run up to Christmas.

Advertisement