Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

My point was more about higher chance of transmissibility of Covid in primary schools over secondary schools. My sister has had to clean runny noses of young kids, had kids sneezing and coughing on her etc. Secondary teachers are unlikely to be dealing with that to the same extent. Couple things like that with less understanding/awareness of social distancing by students and non mask wearing amongst the students. Teachers also have to mix to some extent so a school wide outbreak could easily happen. You can also throw subs going to maybe two or three different schools in a week into the mix as well.

Statistically primary schools are safer, either way I don't see schools open this month, too much virus about, I wonder why online teaching is not being suggested by teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Was just calling this councillor a hypocrite. FFS, thought that was obvious.

According to her profile, she lives in Crosshaven. So the beach she was talking about is well within her 5km exercise radius. Perhaps you thought she lives in Carrigaline? Fair enough. That’s an understandable honest mistake. But if not, can you clarify where the hypocrisy is here? I don’t doubt that you thought it was obvious, but I’m afraid it isn’t obvious, at least not to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

1 class, 6th class. Teacher was positive. 5-6 kids tested positive + all their family members. Likely further community transmission throughout the town. The post office is now closed, as an example.

So, the teacher spread it to the children, rather than the other way around? That's my point tbh.

But either way , online work does not work for primary school children..

Not enough network infrastructure. I work from home on a crummy mobile hotspot, no provider here.

My 6 year old doesn't have a laptop, nor am I getting her one

Plus some teachers will argue (because they did in her school in the last lockdown) that their place of work is the school so they are not lifting a finger to accommodate.

Online for primary school doesn't work. Children that age need a physical person guiding them through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

cantalach wrote: »
    According to her profile, she lives in Crosshaven. So the beach she was talking about is well within her 5km exercise radius. Perhaps you thought she lives in Carrigaline? Fair enough. That’s an understandable honest mistake. But if not, can you clarify where the hypocrisy is here? I don’t doubt that you thought it was obvious, but I’m afraid it isn’t obvious, at least not to me.

Ahmmmmm

Ahmmmmm

Whether you live near a beach or not it gives no one the right to exercise yourself or family without due care for others as well, ie control ones kids in playgrounds, keep your teens in, instead of roaming in carrigaline in packs with no masks/social distancing at night time,
    Parents need to cop on and be responsible, otherwise this bloody lock in will go on and on,
    And its plain to see that ppl from carrigaline and the city are flouting the 5k rules as before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I wonder why online teaching is not being suggested by teachers?

this!
    I can't understand why there is no mention of online learning from teaching staff/schools/unions. While it's not ideal at least it's something to try and maintain the education of kids. Even just setting homework etc and issuing the instructions via text or WhatsApp will be better than nothing.
    In my opinion, the younger children in primary schools will be most affected by this gap in their education, the secondary school kids would (should) be aware of what they are doing and what they need to do to keep on top of the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

cantalach wrote: »

Ya article said she is “of Carrigaline”. Which is her municipal district rather than where she lives I guess. You’re right there.

Therefore, I would like to retract my statement that she is a hypocrite. She’s not a hypocrite, just a self important busybody who thinks it’s a good idea to close car parks and force people to park on the road instead. Which causes more problems than it solves.

this!
    I can't understand why there is no mention of online learning from teaching staff/schools/unions. While it's not ideal at least it's something to try and maintain the education of kids. Even just setting homework etc and issuing the instructions via text or WhatsApp will be better than nothing.
    In my opinion, the younger children in primary schools will be most affected by this gap in their education, the secondary school kids would (should) be aware of what they are doing and what they need to do to keep on top of the basics.

Well said, I've a kid doing his leaving this year and am genuinely worried at the moment,
    as I'm not qualified to see whether he's studying correctly etc, or if he's going about it the right way, and feel structured online is as best as can be expected as last year was a washout and these important few months left need to be on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I cannot see how schools and creches can open next week given the high number of cases, parents and teachers are worried

Creches will open for frontline staff. People need to work to keep the country going. Before xmas there have been very little if no illness of any kind in creches I know. The one good thing to.come out of this is cleaner creches!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

rumours of further measures being brought in later this week. like everything bar essential essential has to close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

unplayable wrote: »
    rumours of further measures being brought in later this week. like everything bar essential essential has to close

Source, please. I follow swathes of reputable journalists and none have floated this suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Source, please. I follow swathes of reputable journalists and none have floated this suggestion.

source is prominent solicitor who has been told to get as much done this week as they can as further restrictions coming in. lets wait and see. just a rumour as i said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

source is prominent solicitor who has been told to get as much done this week as they can as further restrictions coming in. lets wait and see. just a rumour as i said.

Why would they be advising a solicitor such things when they can continue working remotely and won’t be effected any hardware shops or whatever closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

CF Lennox chipper in Ballyphehane closed for 2 weeks due to Staff member testing positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I've been reliably informed that 3000 of the CUH's 4500 staff have now been vaccinated with the first dose

This 4 week job is a plasmas, I'd say if it'd relaxed by Easter we will be lucky, BTW I'm a glass half full man normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why would they be advising a solicitor such things when they can continue working remotely and won’t be effected any hardware shops or whatever closing?

Perhaps adjustments / curtailments to the Courts?

I suppose we just hang tight and wait till an announcement (or more realistically, leaks)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

767 in cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,115 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

767 in cork today

HOLY FCEK

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We’ve really outdone ourselves today :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,694 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is that part of the bag log I wonder tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

767 in cork today

Awful to see such high numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,115 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coppeen and Enniskeane has quite a few cases, I think it is rampant everywhere, take care all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Jesus, not good for Cork at all now. Hopefully it's contained but suppose it was a matter of time tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Is that part of the bag log I wonder tough!

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Kanturk, Mallow all have high case numbers. It’s everywhere now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Perhaps adjustments / curtailments to the Courts?

I suppose we just hang tight and wait till an announcement (or more realistically, leaks)

OT but the courts have already been suspended, my dad is a taxi driver and they have the contract for the courts, they were told last week everything was cancelled with immediate effect until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What ever about the high cases the extremely slow roll out of vaccine is really depressing stuff.

We’re miles behind other country’s for the rate of the roll out and we’re showing no signs of plans in place to speed it up. Only having it rolled Monday - Friday during normal office hours is a joke too. Has this some how caught the HSE off Guard? They had 9 months to prepare for this

Advertisement