Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone explain why C19 numbers are issued using Median format ?
    Why is the mean " the "average" we are used to, not used.
    The median, the "middle" value is used instead ?
    Just curious....

Jay

Because mean is pretty much useless in these type of statistics where outliers can seriously through out the figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I was queuing to get into the local supermarket and theres two women having a long chat in the fruit & veg section.

People have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Young ones wearing lycra and hoodies hogging the footpaths out trying to lose a few pounds with no social distancing -gowls-seeing this a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

mikeym wrote: »
    I was queuing to get into the local supermarket and theres two women having a long chat in the fruit & veg section.

People have no cop on.

Thats nothing. A bunch of walkers were stopped on the footpath earlier chatting. Others were having to walk onto the road to pass them. And when car a came , they had to wait for it to pass before they could proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I hear there's check points in other county's in place to stop people moving around , even in cars.

There's large clusters of people all over the lough today ,engaging in all sorts of activity- boxing , soccer , hurling ..

I understand its hard to stay in and even harder in good weather , but think how harder it will be in summer when the weather is even better.

If the curve isn't flattened , lockdown could extend into the summer and nobody wants that. It mightn't even be a voluntary decision like it is now , it could well be enforced by the iron fist of the law.

This is why i thinks its selfish for people to be out galavanting in groups. Its satisfying short-terms needs with a disregard for what lurks ahead.
    Those people who are out now will suffer the worst if/when forced to lockdown during the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

BruteStock wrote: »
    Thats nothing. A bunch of walkers were stopped on the footpath earlier chatting. Others were having to walk onto the road to pass them. And when car a came , they had to wait for it to pass before they could proceed.
    Typical me Fein behaviour,rampant in Cork of late , mostly anyone under 35 , entitlement brigade

I hear there's check points in other county's in place to stop people moving around , even in cars.

There's large clusters of people all over the lough today ,engaging in all sorts of activity- boxing , soccer , hurling ..

I understand its hard to stay in and even harder in good weather , but think how harder it will be in summer when the weather is even better.

If the curve isn't flattened , lockdown could extend into the summer and nobody wants that. It mightn't even be a voluntary decision like it is now , it could well be enforced by the iron fist of the law.

This is why i thinks its selfish for people to be out galavanting in groups. Its satisfying short-terms needs with a disregard for what lurks ahead.
    Those people who are out now will suffer the worst if/when forced to lockdown during the summer months.

It's going to go on and on until the law get the power to actually fine the basta*ds, incidentally Leo the langer says Gardai don't need any extra powers ATM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, went out to the Lough as I live close for a walk and a bunch out. Those idiots in the ropes with music and picnic blankets out. Was 2/3 large groups there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,190 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone explain why C19 numbers are issued using Median format ?
    Why is the mean " the "average" we are used to, not used.
    The median, the "middle" value is used instead ?
    Just curious....

Jay

I am not really sure what it means :o

I assumed that is age around of the fatalities
    the median age of today’s reported deaths is 78

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks we need to be careful about libel. No accusations against businesses without proof please. Hearsay doesnt count

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I am not really sure what it means :o

I assumed that is age around of the fatalities

Median is the halfway point between the age of the youngest patient and the oldest patient. Ive no idea why they use that & not the average age though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Typical me Fein behaviour,rampant in Cork of late , mostly anyone under 35 , entitlement brigade

Not just restricted to under 35. lots of over 70 in out shopping in supermarkets. if it was a child in the supermarket people would be giving out to the child/parent quick enough. ignorance on the over 70s part

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

OK thanks for answering.

Would not closing some outlets but still allowing alcohol sales just mean the same number of people would be in fewer outlets - therfore more crowded?

Typical Ireland - off licenses are open but garden centers are closed. I see the OL as non-essential. I wish people had a re-think of their amount of boozing. When people go for their grocery shop - get some booze then, if they want.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-public-health-expert-says-off-licences-should-be-shut-during-pandemic-Concerns-over-soaring-alcohol-sales--081b930e-cf44-4c11-a074-a15d14ba3986-ds

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Went to lidl yesterday for the weekly shop and didnt get out of the car. The weekly specials of garden plants etc meant it looked busier then any Christmas. Im just back now and today there was probably 20% of the cars that were there when I was going to go yesterday. Close the off licenses and drinkers will overcrowd supermarkets.
    Personally id prefer stores that can do deliveries and operate within social distancing rules for non essentials that would make leaving home less tempting to be opened such as DIY, paint, gardening suppliers.

We're in a pandemic and people can only think of getting boozed up? If the drinks isles are overcrowded - that reflects more so on our societies dire relationship with booze.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

Worztron wrote: »
    Typical Ireland - off licenses are open but garden centers are closed. I see the OL as non-essential. I wish people had a re-think of their amount of boozing. When people go for their grocery shop - get some booze then, if they want.

They can't if the Off-Licences are closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Be right back

PreCocious wrote: »
    They can't if the Off-Licences are closed.

They can in the supermarkets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

They can in the supermarkets?

Which is sold under a Retailer's Off Licence same as in a premises dedicated solely to selling alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Yerra the women in their lycras flaain the social distancing on foot paths pathetic all in groups that won't move wish they could be fined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Gaspode wrote: »
    Median is the halfway point between the age of the youngest patient and the oldest patient. Ive no idea why they use that & not the average age though.

I don't think that is what median means. I thought it is the point where half the number of cases are above the age and have the number of cases are below the age.

If the cases were aged

5, 54, 55, 74, 80, 82, 85

Then by my definition of median, it is 74. By Gaspodes it would be 45 which is incorrect I believe.
    The average would be 62 which is really skewed downward by the one 5 in there so this is why they don't use average age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Ludo wrote: »
    I don't think that is what median means. I thought it is the point where half the number of cases are above the age and have the number of cases are below the age.

If the cases were aged

5, 54, 55, 74, 80, 82, 85

Then by my definition of median, it is 74. By Gaspodes it would be 45 which is incorrect I believe.
    The average would be 62 which is really skewed downward by the one 5 in there so this is why they don't use average age.

Your right, in example above its 74. Its the midpoint of the dataset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Level 42 wrote: »
    Yerra the women in their lycras flaain the social distancing on foot paths pathetic all in groups that won't move wish they could be fined
    Found some joggers dont move either especially when facing traffic which is at least easier to view oncoming cars :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

Regarding median vs average, here's an example I always use to illustrate the usefulness of median. It's a bit contrived but it gets the point across.

Imagine there's a street with 9 very small, single story, terraced cottages which are valued at €200k each. At the end of the cul de sac behind a high wall is the manor house valued at €2.2M.

The total value of all 10 houses on the street is €4M so the average value is €400k. Although mathematically correct, this isn't very representative of a typical house on the street. It paints a very false picture.

But the median value of a house on the street is €200k. It tells you the typical house by taking out the outliers. Statisticians and engineers (like me) love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was stopped going to work again today, I'm glad to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I got stopped by guards yesterday morning (Ballinlough area), when driving back from doing my shopping in Merchant's Quay (which was very quiet, about 1/4 of first level car park full). They didn't really ask me specifics, but the van in front of me got a much longer talking to, and someone on the other side was pulled over.

I've seen a lot more patrolling around recently too, though mostly in cars.

I haven't really seen anything unreasonable in the parks around here, various exercising going on in the field by the Gus Healy pool but usually solo or families. At least there's a good choice of parks within 2km of me. If the Half Moon Lane entrance of Tramore Valley Park was open I could go there too...

I got stopped by guards yesterday morning (Ballinlough area), when driving back from doing my shopping in Merchant's Quay (which was very quiet, about 1/4 of first level car park full). They didn't really ask me specifics, but the van in front of me got a much longer talking to, and someone on the other side was pulled over.

I've seen a lot more patrolling around recently too, though mostly in cars.

I haven't really seen anything unreasonable in the parks around here, various exercising going on in the field by the Gus Healy pool but usually solo or families. At least there's a good choice of parks within 2km of me. If the Half Moon Lane entrance of Tramore Valley Park was open I could go there too...

Great to hear that the law are on the ball, considering what they have to put up with,pikeys at their usual madness,and scrotes stabbing each other in the hane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

I've seen the guards a good few times, once on a "necessary" journey and a few times whilst out walking and cycling with the kids. Every time they've been very pleasant and friendly, even asking my little girl for her driving license for her bike. They seem to be doing a fantastic job out here anyway(rural village) and hopefully they're not getting too much grief off the public.

431 cases now Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I was diverted off the motorway onto the glanmire exit for checkpoint this eve. Delighted to see them out

Is Ringaskiddy and Rosslare ports closed as talk of English reg cars coming here, I haven't seen myself just lots of complaints

I know we still have UK flights

I thought only essential cargo would be exported imported so ports and airports closed to individual travel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cantalach wrote: »
    Regarding median vs average, here's an example I always use to illustrate the usefulness of median. It's a bit contrived but it gets the point across.

Imagine there's a street with 9 very small, single story, terraced cottages which are valued at €200k each. At the end of the cul de sac behind a high wall is the manor house valued at €2.2M.

The total value of all 10 houses on the street is €4M so the average value is €400k. Although mathematically correct, this isn't very representative of a typical house on the street. It paints a very false picture.

But the median value of a house on the street is €200k. It tells you the typical house by taking out the outliers. Statisticians and engineers (like me) love it.

Me too.

I just wish they would use it for average industrial wage, which is skewed by high earners.

Advertisement