Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1,373 cases notified in Cork today.

They're making their way through the backlog alright....

:eek::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Possibly, but the swabs have been very very high in the last week. I’d say it’s quite a bit higher then the 300s tbh.

Regardless, and I think we can all agree on this, it’s serious and I really hope everybody here is taking care and are doing ok in this. Please try your best to follow the restrictions for the benefit of everybody
    Absolutely, of course.
    Point is, nobody can make any judgement on how we are doing right now.

We could have 1200 cases per day for the last 2 days, or the 1200 cases could be from a week ago. Nobody knows and will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Crazy numbers today. The fear from back last March and April is back.

I am curious are takeaways still allowed open? If so, it doesnt make sense that click and collect isnt allowed as its bascially the same thing. Most of the time for a takeaway you order online or ring in. I am being good for January with no take aways but just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

I passed the Blackpool test centre twice today. Relatively few cars there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Hard to tell how many for cork are from the backlog, there was 6800 swans today so about 6000 cases are swabs. Even without backlog figures I’d say we are in the 7-900s for cork.

where was this the lough ?

• Advertisement

Daisy03 wrote: »

I am curious are takeaways still allowed open? If so, it doesnt make sense that click and collect isnt allowed as its bascially the same thing. Most of the time for a takeaway you order online or ring in. I am being good for January with no take aways but just curious.
    Click and collect applies to retail, not hospitality. Takeaways were open in March so are open now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

douglas jointed all day drove past it a few times today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

mean gene wrote: »
    where was this the lough ?

I hope they were all from within 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,694 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Daisy03 wrote: »

I think some places are switching to drive thru only.

However lot's of take-aways remained open last March and April. They are seen as an essential service to feed people, workers, etc.
    Whilst you don't really need to go out and click and collect a candle, book, dress, etc and you can wait a few days for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

You get a specific time and asked not to show up before that time, so in theory there shouldn't ever be too many there at any time.

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    You get a specific time and asked not to show up before that time, so in theory there shouldn't ever be too many there at any time.

I know in the run to Christmas there was huge queues out along the road so maybe they are trying to stop that happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

I know in the run to Christmas there was huge queues out along the road so maybe they are trying to stop that happening again.

Next week or 2 will tell us the true story of where we really are, if we're not in lock down still by paddies day I'll grow wings

The only way to measure the next few days is GP referrals.

Fairly large decrease in referrals in Cork:
    https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-06_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

Next week or 2 will tell us the true story of where we really are, if we're not in lock down still by paddies day I'll grow wings

It really will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

So best case scenario by the end of March the government hope to have 470,000 doses of the vaccine. So 235,000 people vaccinated from that. Say it takes until April too administer it. That means after 4 months a very very small portion of the population will have received it. It really doesn’t give much hope to having a normal summer

So best case scenario by the end of March the government hope to have 470,000 doses of the vaccine. So 235,000 people vaccinated from that. Say it takes until April too administer it. That means after 4 months a very very small portion of the population will have received it. It really doesn’t give much hope to having a normal summer
    That about sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

That’s just one vaccine ya? So as others are approved those numbers will increase. Still, it does look like it will take a while to vaccinate everyone.

At least those 235k are the most important people, the most at risk & most vulnerable. With nursing homes done & healthcare workers done, we should have less deaths & less cases. We may be able to open up a bit more. Nobody knows for sure. Let’s see. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was just looking back over this thread.
    We had 7 cases on 15th December!!!

I know that I predicted that this massive surge would come but still I'm amazed that we can go from so low to so high so quickly.

There was a lot of naive optimism back then.

Majority of at risk people will be vaccinated by February/March, latest. We'll be well on our way back to normal at that point.

ACE, I'm not having a go, this is a genuine question as people here value your input.

Do you still think what I quoted above is possibe?
    I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭Zardoz

235k vaccinated in 3 months is pretty pathetic.
    Govt and HSE covering themselves in glory yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Zardoz wrote: »
    How many complete doses will be available in that time?

So best case scenario by the end of March the government hope to have 470,000 doses of the vaccine. So 235,000 people vaccinated from that..............

They can only be judged on how quickly they get the received vaccination doses administered. They can't magic up additional supply.

It will take around 4 months. They only hope to have that amount of vaccine by the end of March

ACE, I'm not having a go, this is a genuine question as people here value your input.

Do you still think what I quoted above is possibe?
    I hope so.

1000000%.

That’s not gonna happen. I would predict we’ll have 2 million done by middle of Summer.

That’s not gonna happen. I would predict we’ll have 2 million done by middle of Summer.

Really? Great stuff. You seem the most balanced and knowledgeable poster on this thread so that fantastic to hear. At that point if those numbers are completed can you see society going back to how things were in July in years pre Covid?

Was just looking back over this thread.
    We had 7 cases on 15th December!!!

I know that I predicted that this massive surge would come but still I'm amazed that we can go from so low to so high so quickly.

There was a lot of naive optimism back then.

Sorry to keep harping on about this but unless parental control kicks in what I see in Carrigaline regularly is gangs or groups of teens, non masked no social distancing, and if this behaviour is typical nationwide we're in trouble

Sorry to keep harping on about this but unless parental control kicks in what I see in Carrigaline regularly is gangs or groups of teens, non masked no social distancing, and if this behaviour is typical nationwide we're in trouble

How did the numbers get so low in December?
    You've been banging on about teens in carragaline since March.
    If they are such an issue, how did the numbers ever decrease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Hopefully they are immune by now

• Advertisement

Ah would you stop, there are gangs of young kids with parents packed into playgrounds, chatting away in groups without even a mask on , there were plenty families got together over Christmas particularly for dinner on Christmas day , numerous families in the one house, the same ones who constantly go on about gangs of teens together. It has shocked me the people who went to different households but seemed to think that was ok and yet they are so concerned about everyone else's actions , lots of " do as I say not as I do ' brigade around, one rule for them and another rule for everyone else .

Advertisement