Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can you maybe give a quick summary here? I don’t want to start following 2 different threads as Covid is everywhere you turn so it’s nice just to have the 1 thread on boards? If it’s not practical to summarize that’s understandable
    We received 80k doses.
    35k are being administered.
    35k more are being kept for the second dose, until Pfizer supply chain is secure.
    That leaves max 5k extra we can administer.

In real terms, we're vaccinating about as much as we can without being reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I know that in cuh staff aren’t given a return date or time for the second dose. It’s up to them to monitor and watch when it’s due. I’ve heard issues around the HSE I.T infrastructure in recent days too for when the larger roll out behings. Hopefully it can be resolved by that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I don't think so tbh.
    I think they've re-registered the backlog cases as new positive swabs and re-reported them then as new cases.
    My point will be proven if tomorrow or the day after's case figures are considerably lower than todays.

I make it 8,000, conservatively, remaining in the backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We received 80k doses.
    35k are being administered.
    35k more are being kept for the second dose, until Pfizer supply chain is secure.
    That leaves max 5k extra we can administer.

In real terms, we're vaccinating about as much as we can without being reckless.

If we are guaranteed more doses and you get partial immunity from the first dose, it would limit the spread by administering all the doses as we get them and in three weeks give the second jab from the supply we are getting

I make it 8,000, conservatively, remaining in the backlog.
    Not anymore. Backlog is gone. Those cases don't exist.

• Advertisement

If we are guaranteed more doses and you get partial immunity from the first dose, it would limit the spread by administering all the doses as we get them and in three weeks give the second jab from the supply we are getting
    You can't guarantee 21-28 days between doses then. Pfizer and EMA said no, so not gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd advise ye to visit the vaccine thread in the COVID forum.
    It's well documented why we haven't vaccinated a lot this week. Not some mad conspiracy.

No just excuses from an inept government, all others are way ahead of us, they couldn't get the ppl in residential homes signatures sorted earlier?
    Plamas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No just excuses from an inept government, all others are way ahead of us, they couldn't get the ppl in residential homes signatures sorted earlier?
    Plamas
    Who with the same access as us is proportionately way ahead of us? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

So you think the positive swabs from the last 4 days or so are not as high as what the data is saying it is?

Instead of it actually being around the 6000 mark, it’s really only about 3000 or so? So we’ve peaked & cases from tomorrow on will be about half. Great news.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    So you think the positive swabs from the last 4 days or so are not as high as what the data is saying it is?

Instead of it actually being around the 6000 mark, it’s really only about 3000 or so? So we’ve peaked & cases from tomorrow on will be about half. Great news.
    That's my opinion. Where else have the swabs gone? The backlog is clear yet people are saying theres a 10k swab backlog.
    No other plausible explanation, other then them just deleting 10k cases.

• Advertisement

Plamas
    The government don't run the vaccination programme, the HSE do, but whatever. Quite clear who the 'ah joe the gubberment' folk are and who aren't.

That's my opinion. Where else have the swabs gone? The backlog is clear yet people are saying theres a 10k swab backlog.
    No other plausible explanation, other then them just deleting 10k cases.

They should have explained it tonight but just mentioned it briefly and moved on. Journalists never questioned it.

If the backlog is gone, and that is what Nolan said, what you’re saying is plausible. No matter what has happened though, it’s a f**k up. Tomorrow’s numbers will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

The government don't run the vaccination programme, the HSE do, but whatever. Quite clear who the 'ah joe the gubberment' folk are and who aren't.

Government runs the HSE, who didn't push enough, ffs our gang of clowns were on Xmas holidays when other countries were sorting theirs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Philip Nolan said today the backlog is cleared upto January 5th.

The exact figures behind that I don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

marno21 wrote: »
    Philip Nolan said today the backlog is cleared upto January 5th.

The exact figures behind that I don’t know.

Any backlog after Jan 5th still to be added?

He said it was cleared up to 5th January. That does not mean the c.8,000 have disappeared. They have been working through cases in real time and backlog. That means some cases of positive swabs fall into the backlog. I would think that by that reasoning, over half of the swabs of the last 2 days are in the backlog post 5th January.

The numbers reported yesterday were what, up to midnight on the 6th? So almost 100% of swabs of the 6th were not converted to cases & all the cases announced were from the backlog.

He also said the problem was fixed, so the backlog shouldn’t be increasing. Makes no sense. Have the feeling there was some kind of f**k up & they’re trying to brush it under the carpet. Maybe the swab count between Christmas & New Year wasn’t as high as reported & the backlog wasn’t as big as they said it was.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    The numbers reported yesterday were what, up to midnight on the 6th? So almost 100% of swabs of the 6th were not converted to cases & all the cases announced were from the backlog.

He also said the problem was fixed, so the backlog shouldn’t be increasing. Makes no sense. Have the feeling there was some kind of f**k up & they’re trying to brush it under the carpet. Maybe the swab count between Christmas & New Year wasn’t as high as reported & the backlog wasn’t as big as they said it was.

I think we should take it that all swabs announced upto the 5th are cleared. Out of the swabs announced on 6th & 7th, there's a backlog, which I think is c.8,000, others are saying 9,000. Either way, it appears the full backlog won't actually be cleared for a few days yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The backlog wasn't some f-up or conspiracy, it was people's christmas holidays. Lab testers, admin staff, quality control etc. A lot of them still won't be back at full tilt this week I'd say, because plenty of people take planned school holidays off also.

I also expect a reduced service while the schools continue to be closed, working age people in labs are often in their 20's 30's 40's and have young families to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Staff member out in HSSD dept with a positive test, management never told the colleagues working with them about this so they're organising tests for themselves.

Incompetent isn't the word for what's going on there atm..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

leeside11 wrote: »
    Staff member out in HSSD dept with a positive test, management never told the colleagues working with them about this so they're organising tests for themselves.

HSSD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

seefin wrote: »
    HSSD?

Instrument sterilisation department in the hospital, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If they weren't deemed as close contacts, why should they be told?
    If they were close contacts, that's another matter.

People seem to think that they have a "right" to know where every infection occurs. They don't and nor should they.

seefin wrote: »
    HSSD?

They sterilise the instruments for theatre.

They sterilise the instruments for theatre.

Wheres this?

pwurple wrote: »
    The backlog wasn't some f-up or conspiracy, it was people's christmas holidays. Lab testers, admin staff, quality control etc. A lot of them still won't be back at full tilt this week I'd say, because plenty of people take planned school holidays off also.

They have said the backlog was due to a problem with their IT system. Sure without Christmas holidays it may have been fixed faster.

The recent posts are more about what happened to the backlog rather than why it happened in the first place. It was mentioned yesterday that’s it’s gone but 8k or so still unaccounted for. There’s confusion there.

Anyway, makes little difference. We’re in lockdown regardless. It’s curiosity more than anything. It might be explained in the coming days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

People seem to think that they have a "right" to know where every infection occurs. They don't and nor should they.

There's close contacts being told they're not close contacts when they are. They do have a right to be told when there's covid cases in their workplace and to limit interactions and not to visit their parents or grandparents who might not be so lucky if they catch this damn virus.

Staff were in close contact with this person during working hours before they tested positive and then going home to elderly parents in the case of one staff member.

Very bad organisation in that department from the start of this pandemic there..

As i mentioned yesterday -> AZ on the way
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1347516153237823488?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Staff were in close contact with this person during working hours before they tested positive and then going home to elderly parents in the case of one staff member.

Very bad organisation in that department from the start of this pandemic there..

All close contacts of every infected person should be informed, no argument there.
    I won't comment furthers as I don't know the facts of this case.
    But I still argue that outside of close contacts, no one had a "right" to know.

Advertisement