Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There's close contacts being told they're not close contacts when they are. They do have a right to be told when there's covid cases in their workplace and to limit interactions and not to visit their parents or grandparents who might not be so lucky if they catch this damn virus.

People not deemed close contacts by public health have no 'right' to know about a case in their workplace. Even those deemed close contacts have no right to know who the positive case in their workplace was (as that's sensitive personal data under GDPR). Not saying I agree with all of that, just giving the 'official' position as someone involved in such arrangements in a large organisation. Of course, a person who tested positive may choose to disclose this to other staff (and, generally, I think they should) but there is no onus on them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

People not deemed close contacts by public health have no 'right' to know about a case in their workplace. Even those deemed close contacts have no right to know who the positive case in their workplace was (as that's sensitive personal data under GDPR). Not saying I agree with all of that, just giving the 'official' position as someone involved in such arrangements in a large organisation. Of course, a person who tested positive may choose to disclose this to other staff (and, generally, I think they should) but there is no onus on them to do so.

What is the definition of a close contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,107 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

leeside11 wrote: »
    They sterilise the instruments for theatre.
    Wheres this?

Is that in CUH?

The whole department should have been informed imho, same with schools, classes should be informed of a positive case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that in CUH?

The whole department should have been informed imho, same with schools, classes should be informed of a positive case
    That's not how it works though, never has. If you're not a contact then you've no need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I know of someone working in the Mercy in HR who received the vaccine, anybody know if this is the case with other staff? HR aren't exactly frontline, that's a frontline worker or someone vulnerable who they've taken the place of, not exactly the best use of the limited vaccines that we currently have.

The longer the vulnerable don't get the vaccination, the longer we're in this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I know of someone working in the Mercy in HR who received the vaccine, anybody know if this is the case with other staff? HR aren't exactly frontline, that's a frontline worker or someone vulnerable who they've taken the place of, not exactly the best use of the limited vaccines that we currently have.

The longer the vulnerable don't get the vaccination, the longer we're in this crap.

If they are coming in contact with multiple vulnerable people a day it's more important that they get vaccinated than one vulnerable person as they could give covid to many vulnerable people.

All healthcare workers are being vaccinated. Whether people like it or not, even the people who clean the toilets in hospitals are healthcare workers and will be vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

All healthcare workers are being vaccinated. Whether people like it or not, even the people who clean the toilets in hospitals are healthcare workers and will be vaccinated.

I don't really see why HR need to be onsite, they're certainly working from home where I work (essential services). Companies all over Ireland have adapted to the crisis by working from home. I'd imagine most people would choose to avoid a hospital where possible.

I don't really see why HR need to be onsite, they're certainly working from home where I work (essential services). Companies all over Ireland have adapted to the crisis by working from home. I'd imagine most people would choose to avoid a hospital where possible.
    That's a fair point but ultimately it doesn't really matter, they'll all be back in the hospital at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What is the definition of a close contact?

Generally it's being within 2 metres of someone for greater than 15 minutes but public health also look at use of PPE, other control measures etc and someone that 'should' be a close contact may not necessarily be ultimately regarded as such and may be regarded as a casual contact instead. Can vary in schools etc as well. Again, not saying I agree or disagree with the way they do it, just outlining the way it works in practice. It was a major issue in my workplace - people (quite understandably IMHO) saying they should be made aware of cases (or identities of positives) in their area but it's all down to public health at the end of the day.

It's the same outside workplaces as well re identities - if you're flagged as a close contact, the contact tracers won't tell you who the positive case was.

• Advertisement

Gardaí attended an incident in Blarney last night where a large gathering in excess of 100 people took place in a shed. Gardaí intervened & stopped the event & the gathered crowd was dispersed without any public order incidents.

That's not how it works though, never has. If you're not a contact then you've no need to know.

If they work or teached in the one room of a positive case, are they not all close contacts :confused: forgive my stupidity but what actually is classed then as "close contact"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If they work or teached in the one room of a positive case, are they not all close contacts :confused: forgive my stupidity but was is actually classed then as "close contact"
    Close contact can mean:
    • spending more than 15 minutes of face-to-face contact within 2 metres of someone who has COVID-19, indoors or outdoors
    • living in the same house or shared accommodation as someone who has COVID-19
    • sitting within 2 seats of someone who has COVID-19 on public transport or an airplane

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/close-contact-and-casual-contact.html#:~:text=Close%20contact%20can%20mean%3A,public%20transport%20or%20an%20airplane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Generally it's being within 2 metres of someone for greater than 15 minutes but public health also look at use of PPE, other control measures etc and someone that 'should' be a close contact may not necessarily be ultimately regarded as such and may be regarded as a casual contact instead. Can vary in schools etc as well. Again, not saying I agree or disagree with the way they do it, just outlining the way it works in practice. It was a major issue in my workplace - people (quite understandably IMHO) saying they should be made aware of cases (or identities of positives) in their area but it's all down to public health at the end of the day.

It's the same outside workplaces as well re identities - if you're flagged as a close contact, the contact tracers won't tell you who the positive case was.

Thanks Padraig. The need for confidentiality and the want for information in these cases requires a fine balance.

5152 positive swabs, 18.88% positivity on 27,287 swabs.
    - Friday, January 8th 2021

Looks like I wasn't far off with my swab idea. 5% drop in positivity rate since yesterday.
    For the first time since mid-December, the 7 day positivity rate has dropped.

Hopefully a decrease is starting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Aren't you also a close contact if you spend more than 2 hours in the same room as an infected person?

On another note, things are not good in CUH. Really bad. It's basically everywhere. Last I heard its 120 patients.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

5152 positive swabs, 18.88% positivity on 27,287 swabs.
    - Friday, January 8th 2021

Looks like I wasn't far off with my swab idea. 5% drop in positivity rate since yesterday.
    For the first time since mid-December, the 7 day positivity rate has dropped.

Forgive my stupidity, but how are there still 5000 positive cases happening?

I presume the large spike happened with people gathering over Christmas? But Christmas was 2 weeks ago.

Forgive my stupidity, but how are there still 5000 positive cases happening?

I presume the large spike happened with people gathering over Christmas? But Christmas was 2 weeks ago.
    Well if there's 5000 cases today they'll each have 1-3 contacts which is anywhere from 5000-15000 more cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The positivity rate should also be caveated by noting that close contacts are not automatically referred for a test any longer.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The positivity rate should also be caveated by noting that close contacts are not automatically referred for a test any longer.
    If close contacts who are negative are not being tested then the positivity rate would go up, not down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's still higher than the peak in April when we were only testing people with two or more symptoms though.

Edit: posted before seeing the post about the drop in positivity rate to 19%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

On another note, things are not good in CUH. Really bad. It's basically everywhere. Last I heard its 120 patients.

Wonderful...my 86 year old mother was admitted there yesterday for non-covid reasons. Being kept in for the weekend which I was hoping would not happen.

Ludo wrote: »
    Wonderful...my 86 year old mother was admitted there yesterday for non-covid reasons. Being kept in for the weekend which I was hoping would not happen.

I hope she will be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »

If it's any comfort, my 90 year old mother was in hospital, CUH, initially, then The South Infirmary for about 8 weeks, back in April/May and didn't contract anything.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Re Mercy vaccine

All Healthcare workers will be vaccinated of course but there is a priority list:

1. Those in care homes over 65
    2. Frontline HCW
    3. People over 70
    4. Other HCW not in direct contact with patients

You couldn’t say HR are frontline.
    Tbh it looks like this list went out the window on day one. They started in hospitals before care homes. Certainly a HR person in the Mercy shouldn’t be getting it before a doctor or nurse in another hospital.

But with the logistics you can see how it could happen. The Mercy would have been given a certain quantity. Presumably they did frontline first & had some left over. 6 doses per vial now instead of 5, right?

It’s got a short shelf life. Rather than drag some 70 year old in off the street or bin the excess, they vaccinated extra staff. If it was planned like this from the start, then ya it’s wrong. Sure they could also be more organised & if they had extra, they could have given it to another hospital that is waiting on it to start their own frontline staff. But logistics, paperwork, red tape.....

If it's any comfort, my 90 year old mother was in hospital, CUH, initially, then The South Infirmary for about 8 weeks, back in April/May and didn't contract anything.

That's great to hear, how is she now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have two relatives working in CUH, one is a Porter and the other is in a clerical position and both were vaccinated earlier this week.
    The Porter is a no brainer, the clerical officer might sound unnecessary but the job cannot be done remotely because it involves handling a lot of files and charts and which come directly from the wards, moving from one part of the hospital to another, which is a risk.
    I also have a friend working there as a health care assistant, not on a covid ward or anything and she has also been vaccinated.

I believe it was optional and staff were given the choice as to whether to get it or not.

Advertisement