Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I haven't read RTE in months to be honest. I can form my own opinions based on the data presented by the HSE. I think more people should do it!

Very wise decision not to listen or read anything RTE say.

Up to their neck in corruption.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    46 Deaths
    3,086 Cases.
    604 cases are in Galway, 574 in Dublin, 466 in Mayo, 187 in Cork, 138 in Limerick and the remaining 1,117 cases are spread across all other counties.

Are they still not testing close contacts with the advice being they need to self isolate even if they are asymptomatic / even if they feel well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

For those that use Twitter this lad is on the ball with Covid and just runs with stats. No tin foil hat stuff

Yesterday he stated the numbers that are being reported are 30% higher then the HSE’s own data suggests so there’s a mistake somewhere. Give him a follow he presents good numbers and bad numbers equally

https://twitter.com/riochtconor2/status/1349128702207135746?s=21

He reckons from the 12th we'll get accurate case numbers........... that's correct from how he's looking at it, but IMO you can't get accurate case numbers if you aren't testing close contacts.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html

We are at full capacity for COVID-19 tests and need to prioritise people who have symptoms. Close contacts will not be tested during this time. If you are a close contact you need to restrict your movements (stay at home), even if you feel well. If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone your GP for further advice.

GPs won't refer many folk for a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Very significant drop in GP referrals nationwide yesterday
    https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-13_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Advertisement

Was told today’s GPS are not doing routine blood tests. That’s bad, lots of other illnesses will go undetected. I was diagnosed with something I had no idea only for going to a routine blood test earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1,616 are men / 1,924 are women
    •54% are under 45 years of age
    •The median age is 42 years old
    •1,119 are in Dublin,416 in Cork, 200 in Galway, 182 in Louth, 169 in Waterford, and remaining 1,483 are spread across all other counties

Very significant drop in GP referrals nationwide yesterday
    https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-13_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

I think I'd prefer more mass testing as some have no symptoms so cases can be identified and quarantine

fin12 wrote: »
    Was told today’s GPS are not doing routine blood tests. That’s bad, lots of other illnesses will go undetected. I was diagnosed with something I had no idea only for going to a routine blood test earlier this year.

Hospitals also cancelling appointments and procedures over high case outbreaks

Hospitals also cancelling appointments and procedures over high case outbreaks

Ya but they are doing phone consultations instead.

• Advertisement

Covid is in the bons. My friend has an operation this week and they aren’t even cancelling it. Operation is not life or death situation. I’ve advised my friend to cancel but he’s worried he will lose the money he has paid but can’t he just reschedule?

I think I'd prefer more mass testing as some have no symptoms so cases can be identified and quarantine

Indeed, a reduction in GP referrals is simply an expected but unfortunate result of don't seek and you won't find. Probably more undetected covid out there now then ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Covid is in the bons. My friend has an operation this week and they aren’t even cancelling it. Operation is not life or death situation. I’ve advised my friend to cancel but he’s worried he will lose the money he has paid but can’t he just reschedule?

They will take every precaution possible to prevent your friend getting Covid. However, just remember that Covid is everywhere at the moment so unless he/she is living like a hermit at home not even visiting a supermarket then there is a chance of catching it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Bad outbreak in the Bons for sure, my uncle is now critically ill because he had emergency surgery there a few weeks ago.

He should ask about postponing it anyway for definite. Involving his GP would be helpful. He should send an email so that there's a paper trail.

https://www.bonsecours.ie/cork-departments

https://www.bonsecours.ie/cork-contact

In the event that he has expressed reluctance to attend and requested a postponement, they insist he proceed and he contracts covid, he may be well within his rights to take them to court.

Hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Who's "proud of Cork", now?

ah for the love of Jesus

HSE bulk report all of Cork's christmas cases in a week -> media freak out
    Shock

Bad outbreak in the Bons for sure, my uncle is now critically ill because he had emergency surgery there a few weeks ago.

He should ask about postponing it anyway for definite. Involving his GP would be helpful. He should send an email so that there's a paper trail.

https://www.bonsecours.ie/cork-departments

https://www.bonsecours.ie/cork-contact

In the event that he has expressed reluctance to attend and requested a postponement, they insist he proceed and he contracts covid, he may be well within his rights to take them to court.

Hope it works out.

Hi , thanks for all the info. My friend postponed said his surgeon wasn’t happy but I think the risk was too much for him.

Sorry about ur uncle. Hope he gets better soon.

I still am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hi , thanks for all the info. My friend postponed said his surgeon wasn’t happy but I think the risk was too much for him.

Sorry about ur uncle. Hope he gets better soon.

He did the right thing. No hospital can guarantee covid free for patients coming in at the moment or ever this past 12 months. I would say that the concentration of cases are in hospitals too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

456 in Cork.

28 Deaths
    3,955 Cases
    1,210 are in Dublin, 456 in Cork, 235 in Louth, 221 in Meath, 218 in Limerick, and the remaining 1,615 cases are spread across all other counties

I was told my someone in the CUH two days ago that it appears they have hit peak. The numbers now appear to reflect that opinion. 142 in hospital 3 days ago, it has not increased passed that and as of last night it was 139. Prof Nolan and Dr Liam Woods now believe the overall hospital peak is within 7 days of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

“I’m ashamed to be from Cork”
    “Cork people are a disgrace”

Don’t really hear this too much when numbers are bad.

HSE bulk report all of Cork's christmas cases in a week -> media freak out
    Shock

I know there was a delay in reporting but would it be fair to say that about half of all cases reported since March were from Christmas up to today?

So 3 weeks instead of the 2 weeks stated in the article. That’s still pretty startling.

Re the backlog.

Reporter asked the question tonight & Ronan Glynn admitted that they said the backlog was cleared last week, as that is what they thought at the time.
    It transpired that the West hadn’t reported all their cases. That’s why we saw that big jump in Galway on Tuesday. Definitely cleared now. Until tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Re the backlog.

Reporter asked the question tonight & Ronan Glynn admitted that they said the backlog was cleared last week, as that is what they thought at the time.
    It transpired that the West hadn’t reported all their cases. That’s why we saw that big jump in Galway on Tuesday. Definitely cleared now. Until tomorrow :-)

Surprised it took reporters 10 days to ask the question. Any idea which reporter it was? George Lee asleep it seems.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    ... Any idea which reporter it was? ...

Sorry no idea. It was a woman but don’t remember her name.

• Advertisement

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 29/12/2020 to 11/01/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 750 (+400), LEA rate per 100k pop: 2012.4 (+1073.3)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 359 (+148), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1601 (+704.6)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 516 (+266), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1468.4 (+757)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 465 (+262), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1363 (+768)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 603 (+403), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1430 (+955.7)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 529 (+356), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1316.4 (+885.9)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 624 (+369), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1613.8 (+954.3)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 1049 (+540), LEA rate per 100k pop: 2452 (+1262.2)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 771 (+538), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1638.7 (+1143.5)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 507 (+307), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1392.6 (+843.2)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 233 (+148), LEA rate per 100k pop: 934.4 (+593.5)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 342 (+238), LEA rate per 100k pop: 928.2 (+645.9)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 344 (+218), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1179.8 (+747.7)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 364 (+255), LEA rate per 100k pop: 801 (+561.1)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 432 (+279), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1426.6 (+921.3)

Sheesh. That's all I'll say.

Advertisement