Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The yo yo lockdowns are driving me mad. We are swinging from talking about teens outdoors in town followed by adults meeting up in airtight cosy restaurants and pubs a month later. A month on and we are back to talking about kids socializing outdoors again.

User142 wrote: »
    The yo yo lockdowns are driving me mad. We are swinging from talking about teens outdoors in town followed by adults meeting up in airtight cosy restaurants and pubs a month later. A month on and we are back to talking about kids socializing outdoors again.

Not without reason. I was driving home via tramore road last Tuesday evening and I passed a group of approximately twenty teens walking along. Not many masks in sight and all in close proximity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not without reason. I was driving home via tramore road last Tuesday evening and I passed a group of approximately twenty teens walking along. Not many masks in sight and all in close proximity.

Since March, there have been teens hanging around together. It's been mostly constant, as far as I can see (at least the giving out about teens has been mostly constant!).
    There seems no correlation between teen behaviour and rising or falling numbers.

It would appear to me that teens are not responsible for this current surge as, I don't think there was any change in their behaviour.
    Teens didn't fly in from abroad and not isolate.
    Teens didn't meet up with friends from 5 different households for pints and meals,indoors.
    Teens, mostly, don't have access to houses for house parties.
    Teens didn't decide who mixed for Christmas day, I'd imagine.

I'm not condoning poor behaviour but, in this case, I really thing this group are unfairly having the finger pointed at them.

An argument could be made that of all groups, teens have the least responsibility for the current surge!

Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Since March, there have been teens hanging around together. It's been mostly constant, as far as I can see (at least the giving out about teens has been mostly constant!).
    There seems no correlation between teen behaviour and rising or falling numbers.

It would appear to me that teens are not responsible for this current surge as, I don't think there was any change in their behaviour.
    Teens didn't meet up with friends from 5 different households for pints and meals,indoors.

I'm not condoning poor behaviour but, in this case, I really thing this group are unfairly having the finger pointed at them.

An argument could be made that of all groups, teens have the least responsibility for the current surge!

Think about it.

Yeah you're correct not just teens, adults who should have known better partying etc was disastrous as was not shutting down the country properly first day

• Advertisement

Also, yesterday, in town, while eating an outdoor snack, I observed two people stopping for a chat.
    These were women of about 60, respectably dressed and conservative in appearance. Not part of any easily identifiable group.

One had a mask under her chin, the other had no mask. They were very close to each other as they chatted - their faces, maybe, a foot apart for a good few minutes. They really hadn't a clue.

If these mature adults cannot manage basic social distancing, why do we expect children to get it?

My point is that these we very regular, normal, Irish people - not young, not elderly, not travellers, not poor people, not self entitled rich people, not foreigners or any other group that people love to point the finger of blame at.

Lots of people behave really badly all the time - not just people who don't give a shlt or are "above the law" or aren't afraid of the law or are spongers. Just normal, stupid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Also, yesterday, in town, while eating an outdoor snack, I observed two people stopping for a chat.
    These were women of about 60, respectably dressed and conservative in appearance. Not part of any easily identifiable group.

One had a mask under her chin, the other had no mask. They were very close to each other as they chatted - their faces, maybe, a foot apart for a good few minutes. They really hadn't a clue.

If these mature adults cannot manage basic social distancing, why do we expect children to get it?

My point is that these we very regular, normal, Irish people - not young, not elderly, not travellers, not poor people, not self entitled rich people, not foreigners or any other group that people love to point the finger of blame at.

Lots of people behave really badly all the time - not just people who don't give a shlt or are "above the law" or aren't afraid of the law or are spongers. Just normal, stupid people.

Were they outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Reardens, Voodoo Rooms, The Oliver Plunkett, Grand Central Social, and Liberty Grill all closed until further notice.

The Bróg, East Village, Rossini’s, Spitjack, Clancy’s and East Village are all open but operating under strict capacity and distancing rules.
    I know they’ve removed a lot of tables from Spitjack & Rossini’s to create more space between guests.
    The doormen on the door of the Bróg and East Village have clickers and are not letting the capacity go over 100 patrons.

There will be a lot more of this to come I’d say. It’s going to be a strange few weeks in the hospitality industry.

Went through some of the earlier pages of this thread. If we only knew then what we know now... This post is dated 13 March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I just drove past Garryduff woods on my way home from Douglas and there is a Garda checkpoint there. I saw one Garda writing down someone’s details so I’m assuming that they were outside their 5k. I’m not overly surprised to be honest as the place is swarming with people - lots of them driving from other areas.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Went through some of the earlier pages of this thread. If we only knew then what we know now... This post is dated 13 March.

It's very interesting to read back over this thread.
    So much was unknown back last March - and still is, really.
    It's interesting to see how attitudes have changed, ebbed and flowed over that time.
    And how some predictions and deductions were so wrong.
    Interestingly, I don't hear anyone clamouring for the pubs to open atm.

• Advertisement

Think about it.
    I was just pointing out that it's no unreasonable to highlight it. Working in one of the counties busiest supermarkets I see plenty of questionable behaviour from adults who should know better every day. If one of those teenagers had it they could have passed it onto the lot quite easily. It's irresponsible and should be called out.

I was just pointing out that it's no unreasonable to highlight it. Working in one of the counties busiest supermarkets I see plenty of questionable behaviour from adults who should know better every day. If one of those teenagers had it they could have passed it onto the lot quite easily. It's irresponsible and should be called out.

I'm not condoning any irresponsible behaviour.

All I'm saying is that the teens, clearly, are not the cause of our current massive surge, yet they seem to be the group most pointed at in this thread.

I'm not condoning any irresponsible behaviour.

All I'm saying is that the teens, clearly, are not the cause of our current massive surge, yet they seem to be the group most pointed at in this thread.

Ya it’s foreign travel, not rocket science. When u had 150,000 people coming in here over Christmas and half refusing to say where they were staying what do u thinks going to happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya it’s foreign travel, not rocket science. When u had 150,000 people coming in here over Christmas and half refusing to say where they were staying what do u thinks going to happen....

Plenty of my friends went home (to various European countries) for Christmas. All came back and have been restricting movements, getting pre-departure & post-arrival tests. None carried the virus back in.

Cases directly linked to travel remain a tiny percentage of our cases.

In a similar vein to what the beer revolu is saying, it's down to the millions of people who are already here as opposed to the fraction of those millions that travelled to & from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I bet they drive SUVs, park on footpaths and listen to Ray D'Arcy.

By the way, was your trip into town essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's every group and none, can we stop the finger pointing please and look at our (in the general sense) own behaviour? It's been the teens, the people drinking on the streets, the travellers, the foreign travellers, the Brits (with their strain), any easily identifiable group that you can blame. It's a distraction.

Mardyke wrote: »
    I bet they drive SUVs, park on footpaths and listen to Ray D'Arcy.

By the way, was your trip into town essential?

I'm not sure how you define essential but I was well under 1k from home, and both exercising and buying food. Does that satisfy you?

I've no idea what the rest of your post is about but I certainly have a huge problem with people parking on footpaths.

Ya it’s foreign travel, not rocket science.

I've never heard of rocket science being blamed for the pandemic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Were they outside?

Even outside, the 2m social distance still applies yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People met up and got together in December, all people not specific groups. People in Ireland caused the surge not this lazy, completely evidence free appropriation of foreign travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Corholio wrote: »
    People met up and got together in December, all people not specific groups. People in Ireland caused the surge not this lazy, completely evidence free appropriation of foreign travel.

You realise that the virus is brought in by foreign travel? The blame is almost 100% on foreign travel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Even outside, the 2m social distance still applies yes?

I was thinking about the mask situation. I

You realise that the virus is brought in by foreign travel? The blame is almost 100% on foreign travel

A fair point back in March and when we had low numbers, it wouldn't be here at all if not for foreign travel but that ship has sailed. When we're in hundreds of cases a day territory only a tiny proportion comes directly from travel. Besides, people who pick it up abroad in general have to behave badly around other people behaving badly in order for it to spread.

TheChizler wrote: »
    A fair point back in March and when we had low numbers, it wouldn't be here at all if not for foreign travel but that ship has sailed. When we're in hundreds of cases a day territory only a tiny proportion comes directly from travel. Besides, people who pick it up abroad in general have to behave badly around other people behaving badly in order for it to spread.
    The fact we have a large proportion of cases of the UK variant suggests otherwise.

Corholio wrote: »

Ya the foreign travelers are people in Ireland lol

The fact we have a large proportion of cases of the UK variant suggests otherwise.
    It still has to spread through close contact once it's here, otherwise it would disappear once the travellers recover.

Exactly if there was no foreign travel, the virus would have stayed in China.

But, theoretically, a single imported case could account for every subsequent UK variant infection.
    I'm not suggesting that this is the actual case but it does show a flaw in your argument.

I have no hesitation in believing that returning people had a part to play in this latest surge but as pointed out, it needed everyone else to facilitate the spread too.

I guess we'll never know for sure what the main driver was and anyone who thinks they know exactly, are only fooling themselves.

TheChizler wrote: »
    It still has to spread through close contact once it's here, otherwise it would disappear once the travellers recover.

The fact that it has grown so quickly suggests a large influx of foreign cases that went untracked, that’s my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was certainly an opportunity during the summer to keep the virus out once we had eradicated community transmission. Though I don't see how we could have done that without Northern Ireland also adopting a zero-covid approach.
    The fact that it has grown so quickly suggests a large influx of foreign cases that went untracked, that’s my point.

For sure, our approach to inbound quarantine is a joke. Voluntary self-isolation, yeah right. You could argue there was already a fire in the building, but starting multiple new fires certainly doesn't help.

Advertisement