Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I just drove past Garryduff woods on my way home from Douglas and there is a Garda checkpoint there. I saw one Garda writing down someone’s details so I’m assuming that they were outside their 5k. I’m not overly surprised to be honest as the place is swarming with people - lots of them driving from other areas.

I drove past there earlier and saw all the garda cars. There was at least 4/5 of them. I thought there must have been some kind of incident there during the night.
    Was it actually a check on people staying within their 5km zone? Very happy to see them doing this if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Stark wrote: »
    There was certainly an opportunity during the summer to keep the virus out once we had eradicated community transmission. Though I don't see how we could have done that without Northern Ireland also adopting a zero-covid approach.

News to me. It got down to very low detected levels all right but even shutting down all travel that's more than enough to blow up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There was certainly an opportunity during the summer to keep the virus out once we had eradicated community transmission. Though I don't see how we could have done that without Northern Ireland also adopting a zero-covid approach.

For sure, our approach to inbound quarantine is a joke. Voluntary self-isolation, yeah right. You could argue there was already a fire in the building, but starting multiple new fires certainly doesn't help.

Hear, hear!

Even now people don't care and are not obiding. Random cars pull up outside mine and then wander off for a stroll. That is not what is meant by 5km, the 5 km is exercise as in walking or running from your house. Stay at home means that, not hopping in your car to walk somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Even now people don't care and are not obiding. Random cars pull up outside mine and then wander off for a stroll. That is not what is meant by 5km, the 5 km is exercise as in walking or running from your house. Stay at home means that, not hopping in your car to walk somewhere else

This is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The risk outside is virtually zero, can we stop complaining about people going walking? There is no difference between exercising within 5km of your house and driving somewhere to go for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This is not true.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/
    At Level 5, the public health risk means that you will be asked to stay at home, except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, or to take exercise within 5km of home. There will be no gatherings other than small numbers at funerals and weddings.

It's pretty clear - exercise within 5km of your home.

FWIW, I think the 5km rule is bonkers. I don't see how me exercising out in the open within 5km of my home is safer than me doing so within 10/20/30km of my home, when I can go to the indoor shopping centre to do my groceries, and theoretically, I could do so at a shopping centre anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

If there’s a park 4kms from your house you should be able to drive the 4kms to the park.
    Imagine a parent(s) having to walk their child(ren) 4kms there to get to a park and then have to walk 4kms back to get home
    Especially in urban areas; shur kids have no interest walking on footpaths alongside roads plus it’s more dangerous for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

I just drove past Garryduff woods on my way home from Douglas and there is a Garda checkpoint there. I saw one Garda writing down someone’s details so I’m assuming that they were outside their 5k. I’m not overly surprised to be honest as the place is swarming with people - lots of them driving from other areas.

Farran woods (is within my 5k zone before anyone asks) has had the guards up a few times too. I've been going there a good bit with the kids the last few weeks and have seen them twice. Both times they seemed to be ticketing the cars too cheap to pay the fiver entrance fee and park on the double yellow lines outside the gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You realise that the virus is brought in by foreign travel? The blame is almost 100% on foreign travel

The origin of the virus coming here in early 2020 of course obviously but that wasn't the argument at all and well you know it. It was about the acceleration and spread of cases here. I don't see the point in such an utterly pedantic post tbh.

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/

It's pretty clear - exercise within 5km of your home.

Not what the poster said. Nowhere does it say you can't drive to somewhere within 5km to exercise (or what the exercise itself must email for that matter). FWIW, I have driven myself to go for a run somewhere that's nicer than the streets outside my house, been stopped at checkpoint by Gardaí, told them I was driving somewhere to go for a run, they asked was I within 5km of home, I said yes, they said off you go. So obviously didn't get the same memo that keeffo got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Not what the poster said. Nowhere does it say you can't drive to somewhere within 5km to exercise (or what the exercise itself must email for that matter). FWIW, I have driven myself to go for a run somewhere that's nicer than the streets outside my house, been stopped at checkpoint by Gardaí, told them I was driving somewhere to go for a run, they asked was I within 5km of home, I said yes, they said off you go. So obviously didn't get the same memo that keeffo got.

My bad - I misunderstood keeffo's post / point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Different guards doing different things. People are abusing the rules, you are supposed to stay at home, there are large groups gathering everywhere you look. People complain about the government, the virus spreads in groups, the whole point of trying to restrict peoples movements is to stop it spreading.

I can see curfews being imposed and the limit reduced to 2km to stop the traffic 5km exercising limit.

My point previous is outside my house was always quiet with cars and generally residents only parking there, there is a noticeable increase in People parking there and walking. This was never the case before the lockdown so I suppose I am dreaming that its not being abused.

You'd swear we were on less than a 100 cases a day, we are in a very precarious position. I exercise as well and I dread the murmuring of forcing people to wear masks exercising. But over rules being abused it means those rules will get strictee

Different guards doing different things. People are abusing the rules, you are supposed to stay at home, there are large groups gathering everywhere you look. People complain about the government, the virus spreads in groups, the whole point of trying to restrict peoples movements is to stop it spreading.

I can see curfews being imposed and the limit reduced to 2km to stop the traffic 5km exercising limit.

My point previous is outside my house was always quiet with cars and generally residents only parking there, there is a noticeable increase in People parking there and walking. This was never the case before the lockdown so I suppose I am dreaming that its not being abused.

You'd swear we were on less than a 100 cases a day, we are in a very precarious position. I exercise as well and I dread the murmuring of forcing people to wear masks exercising. But over rules being abused it means those rules will get strictee

And before i get quoted rules, there isn't a park close to me more like 2 km

So if you had to drive how far did you drive that you were able to do a decent run and stay within your 5km at all times, I seriously doubt that unless you were lapping the lough.

If your a runner, you wouldn't mind running 2 or 3 km to your desired route, I know I wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Keefo, there really are much bigger things to be worrying about.
    Someone driving in their car and going for a walk pose absolutely no threat to you or anyone else.
    While it may involve some technical rule breaking, it just isn't a risk.
    I think you are being somewhat territorial.

Someone driving in their car and going for a walk pose absolutely no threat to you or anyone else.

Nah don't really care in normal circumstances. I'm just pointing out people are not adhering to the rules and as you say there are really bigger things like hospitals being over run with a virus. A more important reason people should be doing all they can to reduce the spread and obey the rules. We are heading into a big unknown in the next 2 weeks where we could see Italy from the first phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Unfortunately, you will have people saying sure we can go anywhere for exercise so why not stop in to visit a friend on the way. Oh, the rules are so confusing that I don't know what I can and cannot do. It is safe outdoors sure so let's have a chat with no masks within a foot of each other. Hundreds of people swarm beauty spots, etc etc.

The rule is clear and for a reason. 5k with specific exceptions.
    I agree that there is little risk with outdoors exercise, but people are stupid so it is needed. No point in downplaying the danger or saying all is ok until we get out of the situation we are in now.

There's no "technical rule breaking" about it, there is no rule breaking. What I'm hearing is "there's somewhere nice near me, it's more popular now that everyone's in lockdown and have nothing else to do, I'll make up some rules to keep people away from my spot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you will have people saying sure we can go anywhere for exercise so why not stop in to visit a friend on the way. Oh, the rules are so confusing that I don't know what I can and cannot do. It is safe outdoors sure so let's have a chat with no masks within a foot of each other. Hundreds of people swarm beauty spots, etc etc.

The rule is clear and for a reason. 5k with specific exceptions.
    I agree that there is little risk with outdoors exercise, but people are stupid so it is needed. No point in downplaying the danger or saying all is ok until we get out of the situation we are in now.

Look, I accept that it is against the rules and I do accept the rules even though they don't always seem logical on the face of it.
    I'm just saying that, in the scale of things, there is far riskier, widespread behaviour.

And I agree with your "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" explanation.

I just don't think that poster should be stressing out about people driving for walks. Stress won't help.

• Advertisement

There's no "technical rule breaking" about it, there is no rule breaking. What I'm hearing is "there's somewhere nice near me, it's more popular now that everyone's in lockdown and have nothing else to do, I'll make up some rules to keep people away from my spot".

Actually totally wrong there but justify your driving to go for a run all you want and staying with 5km of your house at the same time, pull the other one

And again, I am 2km from the closest immenity so your rationale is wrong

Look, I accept that it is against the rules and I do accept the rules even though they don't always seem logical on the face of it.
    I'm just saying that, in the scale of things, there is far riskier, widespread behaviour.

And I agree with your "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" explanation.

I just don't think that poster should be stressing out about people driving for walks. Stress won't help.

I'm not stressing, I am pointing it out, some people on here seem to stress out over the fact I have pointed it out. As I said in my previous post, I am 2km from the nearest immenity, so I'd hazard a guess its people from further than 5km.

I know plenty who are calling to their parents, parents aren't elderly or ill or in need, but they still do it saying its essential to see them. We are in a race to the bottom. Rules should be concrete and people should go by those rules until we have this virus under control. Hospitals are on the brink so we should not be swaying from the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Nah don't really care in normal circumstances. I'm just pointing out people are not adhering to the rules and as you say there are really bigger things like hospitals being over run with a virus. A more important reason people should be doing all they can to reduce the spread and obey the rules. We are heading into a big unknown in the next 2 weeks where we could see Italy from the first phase.

The numbers are going down already, what’s all this 2 weeks... every couple of months we are in the most critical phase apparently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The thing is though that whilst it may not be a threat the attitude of “that doesn’t really matter” is a real problem now. I had to go to my mother in law earlier to bring over some groceries to her (she’s 84 and living alone). She lives near Fitzerald’s park and the place was thronged - seriously packed and no social distancing. So whilst it’s outdoors and less of a danger if everyone keeps this up we will never get out of this sh1t. No doubt everyone there thought what they were doing was just fine and didn’t matter but it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Ludo wrote: »
    I drove past there earlier and saw all the garda cars. There was at least 4/5 of them. I thought there must have been some kind of incident there during the night.
    Was it actually a check on people staying within their 5km zone? Very happy to see them doing this if so.

I can’t be certain but it appeared to be a checkpoint. With the huge numbers going in there I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve stopped going at weekends as it’s too busy.

fin12 wrote: »
    The numbers are going down already, what’s all this 2 weeks... every couple of months we are in the most critical phase apparently....

Are the numbers really going down, the spikes were clearly the 10k backlog at Xmas. If we are below 3k by end of the week then I will believe we are going in the right direction.

Do you believe we are at the top of the curve for hospitals? There are 1848 in hospital and 191 in ICU, how many of those 1848 will end up in ICU. How many more will be dead and hospitalised in the next week or 2. We are definitely in the most critical phase at the moment, way past the first phase

I can’t be certain but it appeared to be a checkpoint. With the huge numbers going in there I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ve stopped going at weekends as it’s too busy.

NPHET asked people to stay at home this weekend, people just don't care. Some people make out Holohan wants this, NPHET have been proved correct each time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Are the numbers really going down, the spikes were clearly the 10k backlog at Xmas. If we are below 3k by end of the week then I will believe we are going in the right direction.

Do you believe we are at the top of the curve for hospitals? There are 1848 in hospital and 191 in ICU, how many of those 1848 will end up in ICU. How many more will be dead and hospitalised in the next week or 2. We are definitely in the most critical phase at the moment, way past the first phase

Do u actually think this is the most critical phase and there won’t be another one after this?

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Do u actually think this is the most critical phase and there won’t be another one after this?

Well I am optimistic with the vaccine rollout that the amount of people who can get it and spread it will greatly reduce.

No one can guarantee next winter wont see a variant that the vaccine would protect against

Advertisement