Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Mardyke wrote: »
    I haven't been following this thread, but curious why people would not want good news??

Just go back and read it. Some people wallow in the misery

More good news

https://twitter.com/maryeregan/status/1350763415367790592?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

You sound like a barrel of laughs. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Mardyke wrote: »
    I haven't been following this thread, but curious why people would not want good news??

I found the phrasing very strange. Seems like any positive news has to have a negative slant on it from someone these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

I know there’s more then a few in this thread will be annoyed at good news but here’s some for ye so ye might want to keep scrolling

https://twitter.com/riochtconor2/status/1350736600242786305?s=21

By God we need some good news Leeside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rubbish.

There was plenty of naive optimism around in early December - look where that got us!

No one is wallowing in misery but complacency is dangerous, as the end of December showed us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I know there’s more then a few in this thread will be annoyed at good news but here’s some for ye so ye might want to keep scrolling

https://twitter.com/riochtconor2/status/1350736600242786305?s=21

I presume new years is the bigger celebration in Portugal, not Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Rubbish.

There was plenty of naive optimism around in early December - look where that got us!

No one is wallowing in misery but complacency is dangerous, as the end of December showed us.

Naive optimism on here is not what caused issues in December and should never ever ever be discouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ofcork

Plenty of checkpoints not all static this time, brother drives to w Cork daily innishannon, Bandon and a few other places gardai haven't left, Ballinhassig permanent one gone, but regularly on the way to Roberts cove and Myrtleville, Bandon garda HQ hit bad but still they've a decent presence in our roads thank God

Im only going from the northside to ringaskiddy havent seen 1 first lockdown met them everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

ofcork wrote: »
    Im only going from the northside to ringaskiddy havent seen 1 first lockdown met them everyday.

Safe enough going to ringaskiddy as most are going to work heading in that direction, can't stop 15 k plus ppl heading to and from work daily, place would grind to a halt, there's nothing else in ringaskiddy compared to Myrtleille, fountainstown etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ofcork

True although the park on part of the old irish steel site opened friday i believe.

• Advertisement

Naive optimism on here is not what caused issues in December and should never ever ever be discouraged.

Isn't it possible that naive optimism, generally, not just here, led to a sense of complacency, which, I do believe led to what happened?

Regarding checkpoints, I drive an hour most days to work.
    Last lockdown I met guards most days, sometimes each way.

This time, it's a rare occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Regarding checkpoints, I drive an hour most days to work.
    Last lockdown I met guards most days, sometimes each way.

This time, it's a rare occurrence.

My OH works near Kinsale and during first lockdown he said same - constantly getting stopped both ways near bishopstown viaduct. Nothing this time but I’ve seen them several times on the Rochestown road this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My OH works near Kinsale and during first lockdown he said same - constantly getting stopped both ways near bishopstown viaduct. Nothing this time but I’ve seen them several times on the Rochestown road this time around.

Gone the length of the rochestown road daily and not Seen a checkpoint? You also said there was one in garryduff. Not seen one around Douglas / rochestown area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Gone the length of the rochestown road daily and not Seen a checkpoint? You also said there was one in garryduff. Not seen one around Douglas / rochestown area.

That’s timing for you. I’ve been stopped at the end of coach hill on my way to Douglas and my daughter was stopped too. No reason to lie about this, just because you haven’t met them doesn’t mean they not there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Please give examples or STFU. You think you are being clever with these digs at others but you just lowering the tone of the conversation to be honest.

Ludo wrote: »
    Please give examples or STFU. You think you are being clever with these digs at others but you just lowering the tone of the conversation to be honest.
    There were posts on here yesterday claiming any sort of optimism is why we had issues over Christmas, don't try to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There were posts on here yesterday claiming any sort of optimism is why we had issues over Christmas, don't try to ignore it.

Show me an example of people wallowing in misery which was the claim.
    People disagreeing, thinking differently to you or thinking this is going to go on longer than some say is not wallowing in misery by the way.

Ludo wrote: »
    Show me an example of people wallowing in misery which was the claim.

Nah, you can see it for yourself, don't have time to be finding things that you know is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Acosta

Has there ever been any checkpoints in and around Kinsale? Was shopping down there over the last couple of weeks but didn't come across any. Considering the amount of Guards with it or that are close contacts, it's not surprising there's less of them this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Acosta wrote: »
    Has there ever been any checkpoints in and around Kinsale? Was shopping down there over the last couple of weeks but didn't come across any. Considering the amount of Guards with it or that are close contacts, it's not surprising there's less of them this time around

The far side of the bridge, heading to Garrettstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Acosta

The far side of the bridge, heading to Garrettstown.

Ah right. That explains why i didn't come across it so as i would have been coming in a different way.

Ace, you are better than this. Why twist things that people say to suit your argument?

I suggested that NAIVE optimism, may have contributed to the issues and you change that to "any kind of optimism is why we had issues"
    Pretty weird that you think it was yesterday, too when it was only a few hours ago.
    Are you feeling OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Isn't it possible that naive optimism, generally, not just here, led to a sense of complacency, which, I do believe led to what happened?

People fcuked up and they should own those fcuk ups instead of blaming Micheal Martin, the government, Tony Holohan, their cat or whatever.

There was a general vibe that vaccines are here and Santy would scatter his magic dust over the Xmas period and everything would be a-ok. Xmas was a licence to do whatever the f you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I presume new years is the bigger celebration in Portugal, not Christmas

I know Jan 6th - day of the 3 kings - is the bigger holiday in Spain for family and gifts.

In Portugal it seems it still has family significance and sweets in kids shoes etc but Santa took over a bit
    https://portugalupclose.com/category/festivals/o-dia-de-reis-epiphany-in-portugal-6th-january/

Spain looks grim:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Like us, they’ve blown their previous record having a family Christmas, but for them, on the 6th.

Ace, you are better than this. Why twist things that people say to suit your argument?

I suggested that NAIVE optimism, may have contributed to the issues and you change that to "any kind of optimism is why we had issues"
    Pretty weird that you think it was yesterday, too when it was only a few hours ago.
    Are you feeling OK?
    Don't be so condescending :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

306 cases in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Absolute rubbish.

Some folk can't abide 100% of their spiel not being accepted as fact.
    They like the backslapping but not actual discussion.

Anyone reckoning there will still be restrictions in Summer 2021 is wallowing in misery :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

13 Deaths
    2,944 Cases
    1,065 cases are in Dublin, 306 in Cork, 181 in Galway, 180 in Kildare, 160 in Limerick and the remaining 1,052 cases are spread across all other counties

Advertisement