Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Government tonight propose to give GP’s and pharmacy’s 1.5 million doses of vaccine to distribute over the next 6 months. This will be along with the HSE continued roll out. €60 they will pay the GP’s per person getting 2 doses and €35 for 1 dose version.

Christ the IMO and IPU are good negotiators.

15 per dose was the flu fee pre covid.

On top of the 30euro for a phone triage and other bits the GPs the only people to come out of this with a near 50% pay rise from the State!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Been out of the thread for a few days....
    Anyway, well done ACE keep giving us the positive updates.
    Optimism is what’s getting a lot of people through this shît show!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

noodler wrote: »
    Christ the IMO and IPU are good negotiators.

15 per dose was the flu fee pre covid.

On top of the 30euro for a phone triage and other bits the GPs the only people to come out of this with a near 50% pay rise from the State!

I'm no fan boy of GPs, generally and can't stand it when they play the poor mouth but, I imagine, GPs incomes from private patients must be decimated.
    The ones that are mostly public are fine, I suppose but I'd say GPs with a mostly private practice are buggered.

Chap from CUH and the Mercy on radio this morning, he is hopeful the tide has turned but he's mindful that beds are likely to get filled over the coming period at a faster rate then they discharge folk.

I'm no fan boy of GPs, generally and can't stand it when they play the poor mouth but, I imagine, GPs incomes from private patients must be decimated.
    The ones that are mostly public are fine, I suppose but I'd say GPs with a mostly private practice are buggered.

Who knows?

Should it be the State's job to worry about their private income? (As they are private contractors and fight to maintain this status).

Also, if private activity is down, they should be delighted to vaccinate for people for 15 per dose rather than getting it upped to 30 euro. They'll get great volume out of it.

Some of the fees they've got this year are incredible.

If I had a card I could go physically to the GP for a consult and it wouldn't cost the State anything over the annual capitation payment. Last year they got to charge the State and additional 25 quid for a non-covid call from these payments and continue to get 30 quid for a covid one.

Hundreds of million extra in such a short space on top of the hundreds of millions they already get.

Anyway, no question they are needed for the rollout.

• Advertisement

Who knows?

Should it be the State's job to worry about their private income?.........

€60 to administer two jabs isn't out of the way IMO. The appointments needs to be booked in (work), vaccine needs to be stored appropriately (work), everyone who is vaccinated needs their details sent to the HSE (work).
    If you turn up for an appointment without your PPS number I believe they can't vaccinate you.... also there will be no shows (as with anything) so this isn't the pocket liner you seem to think it is.

Realistically, all in there's likely an hour of cumulative time to administer the two jabs. Now not all of that time is the GPs as they have admin staff etc but their premises are also being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Augeo wrote: »
    €60 to administer two jabs isn't out of the way IMO. The appointments needs to be booked in (work), vaccine needs to be stored appropriately (work), everyone who is vaccinated needs their details sent to the HSE (work).
    If you turn up for an appointment without your PPS number I believe they can't vaccinate you.... also there will be no shows (as with anything) so this isn't the pocket liner you seem to think it is.

Realistically, all in there's likely an hour of cumulative time to administer the two jabs. Now not all of that time is the GPs as they have admin staff etc but their premises are also being used.

Will the jab be administered by the GP or the practice nurse, where one is employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Will the jab be administered by the GP or the practice nurse, where one is employed?

I suspect a practice nurse. Giving a jab is routine for a nurse. The GP will be available if a recipient gets a nasty reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

physioman wrote: »
    Thought it was harsh on people at garrettstown getting a fine. Great exercise and escape for people in a wide open location. You would be more at risk of catching it on greenway between rochestown and passage on a Sunday afternoon

I agree. Behaviour at a location is way more important than how far that location is from your house. Travel 4km to house party, probably get away without consequence. Travel 6km to beach, chance of €100 fine. But one is more difficult to police than the other.

Unfortunately, as cantalach posted, the 5km limit is needed to limit the overall movement of people. It will stop households mixing & limit the spread of the virus. It is unfair on people who behave sensibly and partake in safe activities such as a walk on the beach. But maybe it’s a necessary evil.

Do all GPs have practise nurses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not all of them but the more modern purpose built medical centres would.

€60 to lash out two jabs at a purpose built medical centre doesn't sound out of the way tbh. I don't think the profit margin will be beyond what is considered fair and reasonable. Folk need to be paid for their endeavours.

€60 to lash out two jabs at a purpose built medical centre doesn't sound out of the way tbh. I don't think the profit margin will be beyond what is considered fair and reasonable. Folk need to be paid for their endeavours.

They are being paid, 30 per dose versus the pre covid flu dose cost of 15.

91m and most will be for GPs of the propensity for people to get vaccinated in GP over Pharmacy continues.

That's about 250-300m additional for GPs all told in last year.

The State provides a 30k subsidy for each nurse based on GP panel size.

They are being paid, 30 per dose versus the pre covid flu dose cost of 15..............

You think that's unreasonable for some reason.
    Pre covid folk were queuing up in a waiting room, it's all by appointment now with social distancing. I don't think it's an unreasonable fee by any stretch.

The State provides a 30k subsidy for each nurse based on GP panel size.

That's not much help to GPs that don't have a nurse :)

You seem to have an axe to grind with GP remuneration for the Covid jab. Without having much of an insight into their costs and the practicalities of administering vaccinations.

https://www.independent.ie/news/cabinet-to-consider-91m-deal-for-gps-and-pharmacists-to-give-covid-19-vaccine-from-early-next-month-39983939.html
    "They are being paid €20 per each vaccination administered along with a €10 fee for processing each patient. This means in total they will receive €60 per person vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine as it requires two dose."
    For Pfizer vaccine folk nned to be observed for 15 minutes after the jab.......... time in money etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I think the vaccination will be provided in pharmacies also - as they do with the flue jab. There won't be a GP there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

€60 is the same a GP gets per COVID referral, so its about right for the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For Pfizer vaccine folk nned to be observed for 15 minutes after the jab.......... time in money etc etc etc

I don't think they need to actively observe you though? Any time I've gotten a vaccine that required post-jab observation in the past (most of them), I've been told to sit in the waiting room for 15 mins while whoever administered the vaccine goes back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1351544198105882629

Positivity rate continues to fall, albeit with lesser swabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Pen Rua wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1351544198105882629

Positivity rate continues to fall, albeit with lesser swabs.
    That's an even better sign. Less swabs generally causes an increase.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    I don't think they need to actively observe you though? Any time I've gotten a vaccine that required post-jab observation in the past (most of them), I've been told to sit in the waiting room for 15 mins while whoever administered the vaccine goes back to work.

That's lovely but in Covid times they won't have folk mixing in waiting rooms so wherever you are for the 15 mins there likely won't be anyone else. So your on the premises. Most GP are operating an appointment system with very few patients on the premises.

The 15 minute thing essentially is a limit on how many can be vaccinated per day.

Also, observation wrt the Pfizer vaccine actually means you should be monitored for 15 minutes after vaccination.

It's not a check at the end of 15 minutes to see did something happen.......

You think that's unreasonable for some reason.
    Pre covid folk were queuing up in a waiting room, it's all by appointment now with social distancing. I don't think it's an unreasonable fee by any stretch.

That's not much help to GPs that don't have a nurse :)

You seem to have an axe to grind with GP remuneration for the Covid jab. Without having much of an insight into their costs and the practicalities of administering vaccinations.

https://www.independent.ie/news/cabinet-to-consider-91m-deal-for-gps-and-pharmacists-to-give-covid-19-vaccine-from-early-next-month-39983939.html
    "They are being paid €20 per each vaccination administered along with a €10 fee for processing each patient. This means in total they will receive €60 per person vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine as it requires two dose."

Indo are wrong.

It's 25 per dose.

Check any other paper.

Axe to grind? You seem to be mindlessly defending the payment structure without any idea of what it is or what came before tbf.

Have you got a GP in the family? Making the state pay double when they are already providing you with the volume to make up for the potential lack of private activity theory you out forward early is a bit opportunistic.

Especially on top of the shiny new contract and covid payments they are currently receiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

204 cases today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Better than it was thank god!, but 206 is still very high in case people are becoming complacent. 200 cases in Cork a few weeks ago would have been astronomical. The fact the overall positivity rate is dropping though is music to my ears, brilliant news overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

93 Deaths

2,001 Cases

701 in Dublin, 204 in Cork, 102 in Waterford, 98 in Meath, 90 in Donegal and the remaining 806 cases are spread across all other counties

202 in ICU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We're stubborn on about 10% of cases per day

Still good to see the numbers falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Better than it was thank god!, but 206 is still very high in case people are becoming complacent. 200 cases in Cork a few weeks ago would have been astronomical.

Apologies, 204 cases today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

93 dead is horrifying.

I don't really care if that includes some backlog. Its people that may likely otherwise be alive. Dreadful.

Edit, 83 are January deaths. Wash your friggin hands and wear a friggin mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Larbre34 wrote: »
    93 dead is horrifying.

I don't really care if that includes some backlog. Its people that may likely otherwise be alive. Dreadful.

Edit, 83 are January deaths. Wash your friggin hands and wear a friggin mask.

and open the windows plus keep back from other humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0119/1190747-covid-europe-vaccines/

ACE’s prediction of June looking normal seems to tally with the EU

Advertisement