Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TheChizler wrote: »
    Anyone notice the smell in town the last week? Went for a walk a couple of evenings as I live close by and it was just awful, like before the main drainage scheme.

I did come across a couple of people openly pi55ing on Patrick St so maybe that and the heat had something to do with it.

I've gotten a stagnant water smell and sometimes a sewage smell around the place the last couple of weeks, alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

More likely that due to the shutdown, combined with the dry weather, drains aren't getting their normal water flow to flush them through .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭cantalach

Do engineers "love it"?

There is a plane, due to take off, it has 50 passengers. The passengers consist solely of couples with young children.

The pilot is worried about the weight limits, now which do you want, your beloved median or the not very representative mean?

I never said that engineers *only* use median. Of course average/mean is used as well, perhaps more so. It really depends on the context. In some contexts median is more useful. For example, in my own business, the median size of a file on a disk is more relevant than the average.

When it comes to a plane-load of passengers, load control calculations will work off average. Median isn’t so useful for weights of humans because the outliers aren’t so extreme. The average human weighs 62kg but the heaviest human ever was only 440kg (7x the average). In real estate though, while the average house price in Cork is €220k, there are lots of properties costing €2.2M (10x average) and even a few costing €22M (100x average). Median comes into its own when the outliers are more extreme and the distribution is asymmetric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

cantalach wrote: »
    I never said that engineers *only* use median. Of course average/mean is used as well, perhaps more so. It really depends on the context. In some contexts median is more useful. For example, in my own business, the median size of a file on a disk is more relevant than the average.

When it comes to a plane-load of passengers, load control calculations will work off average. Median isn’t so useful for weights of humans because the outliers aren’t so extreme. The average human weighs 62kg but the heaviest human ever was only 440kg (7x the average). In real estate though, while the average house price in Cork is €220k, there are lots of properties costing €2.2M (10x average) and even a few costing €22M (100x average). Median comes into its own when the outliers are more extreme and the distribution is asymmetric.

Median IS an average, as is the mean and the mode. There is no one 'average'.

I was just answering an earlier poster who claimed engineers love the median. This imo is just plain silly.

I love pizza too and I eat it all the time. And I’d be happy to explain to somebody newly arrived from Mars what pizza is. But that doesn’t mean that I only eat pizza or even that I eat it more than other foods. One does not need to be monogamous when it comes to foods and statistical tools.
    I don't think that the median is the appropriate one to use in the current context.

My earlier post wasn’t claiming that median was more appropriate for the current context. I was just being nice and trying to clear up the confusion about what median was by using an example everyone could understand. Apologies for having upset you so much...

• Advertisement

Median IS an average, as is the mean and the mode. There is no one 'average'.

Jesus H Christ you can’t win. I originally wrote the above using the more technically correct word “mean” and deliberately re-wrote it to avoid sounding so engineery, and used the man-in-the-street word “average”. Again, apologies for having offended so many of you pedants with a well-meant attempt to explain the concept of median to those who didn’t understand it. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

sporina wrote: »
    noticed this a few weeks ago - esp around Daunt Square - paul street..

i wonder is it because they are not allowed to hang out in hostels etc anymore either? due to social distancing? heard something on the radio about a lot of them only getting breakfast - then they have to get out - not sure though..
    but I am wondering why they are so obvious now also - are they hanging around town more or is it that they are just more obvious as there are less people around?
    in any event I feel sorry for them - the guards are flat out patrolling them

More obvious I'd say as the city centre footfall is gone,beggars ate bad enough,this TROLLOP about my own age ( I've 60)
    calmy dropoed her drawers about 20 metres away from me yesterday on Carrigaline park,not as if she couldn't see me I was up on a strider machine, disgusting,yes she was partly covered on one side but all was visible to anyone near me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's nice to see my inner pain in learning statistics played out on the Internet in all its glory.

And that was when I was twelve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

cantalach wrote: »
    Median comes into its own when the outliers are more extreme and the distribution is asymmetric.

Really, estimate the mass of the 8 planets in the solar system, using the median mass.

This sort of grand all encompassing statement is just something :rolleyes:

The truth of the matter (which I think you can't disagree with) is that when distributions are highly skewed, point estimators are on their own are just not that useful at all.

Btw, thanks for the apology I guess, even though I think you called me a pedant in the next post. I can assure you, I only come on here to amuse myself when bored and don't take any of it to heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really, estimate the mass of the 8 planets in the solar system, using the median mass.

The truth of the matter (which I think you can't disagree with) is that when distributions are highly skewed, point estimators are on their own are just not that useful at all.

Btw, thanks for the apology I guess, even though I think you called me a pedant in the next post. I can assure you, I only come on here to amuse myself when bored and don't take any of it to heart.

These examples don’t help you Timsey.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Worztron wrote: »
    No, but non-essential outlets should be shut for the duration of the lock-down.

Crisps and chocolate are other non-essential goods, shut off those parts of the shop. Hell, if you're going by essential, let's just have a few loaves of bread, and some milk & water at the front of the shop, people will be in and out in seconds.

You same Hell-bent on misrepresenting what I’m saying. You can come up with all the clever examples you like of where median is an inappropriate or even useless stat and I won’t argue with you. I will just repeat that in certain scenarios it is the ideal stat, and - where it is available - I love it in those cases.

As an aside, your behaviour here is representative of the kind of thing that puts so many off participating in online forums. Somebody writes a well-meaning post to try to clear up some point of confusion for people who don’t have a technical background. The post is widely-thanked and presumably received by most in the spirit in which it was intended. But then along comes clever-boots who just wants to “amuse myself when bored” (your words) and decides to make obscure arguments that are not at all enlightening to the people originally confused. Why would anyone ever bother trying to help when they face the prospect of that type of pedantic BS? Over and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The lough absolutely packed today, people having picnics, kicking ball with their friends. Ive closed my business costing me a small fortune, playing by the rules, why can't others. Stay the **** inside the quicker this is over and we can enjoy our summer with little restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Be right back

rob316 wrote: »
    The lough absolutely packed today, people having picnics, kicking ball with their friends. Ive closed my business costing me a small fortune, playing by the rules, why can't others. Stay the **** inside the quicker this is over and we can enjoy our summer with little restrictions.

Really? They're the type that think they can't catch the virus.

I've gotten a stagnant water smell and sometimes a sewage smell around the place the last couple of weeks, alright.

That's prevalent at high tide and had been like that as far as I can remember,over 60

Really? They're the type that think they can't catch the virus.

Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

581 cases in Cork up to 9th April. Up from 502 the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In other words you are trolling?
    Coz you either really don't understand anything about stats or when it is appropriate to use one method over the other or you are deliberately misrepresenting the obvious to troll people.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on trolling and day you just don't have a clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,190 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Buddies aged aunt died in the the Northside ,sad but her son returned from Thailand,picked up something was put in an induced coma before she passed,and only learned of her passing when he was revived, awful, supposed to be a lovely lady aswell ,he's obviously destroyed , saddest thing I've heard since covid began

That's awful, empty funerals, dying alone also sad part of this pandemic

Take care everyone, Happy Easter

That's prevalent at high tide and had been like that as far as I can remember,over 60

No. I live in the city centre. This is not the usual.

Also.
    Shall we move on from the stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got a lot better since they stopped the Lee being an open sewer 15 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are there any supermarkets open on Sunday?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are there any supermarkets open on Sunday?

On Easter Sunday, I think they're all closed.
    Tesco and Lidl are definitely closed.

Aldi was open on St Patrick's day so, maybe.
    Edit, Aldi closed, too.

On Easter Sunday, I think they're all closed.
    Tesco and Lidl are definitely closed.

Aldi was open on St Patrick's day so, maybe.
    Edit, Aldi closed, too.

You sure ??

Edit: I'm about to goto Tesco, I'm 99% certain they will be open.

You sure ??

Edit: I'm about to goto Tesco, I'm 99% certain they will be open.

I'm not sure.
    Tinterweb says they are closed.

Please do report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Most tesco are open from what I know. Aldi and Lidl all closed.

Tesco and Supervalu open according to another thread.

I'm not sure.
    Tinterweb says they are closed.

Please do report back.

Tesco Midleton open since 10 a.m, thankfully ! Was facing a breakfast of Corn Flakes and toast there for a time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Tesco Midleton open since 10 a.m, thankfully ! Was facing a breakfast of Corn Flakes and toast there for a time....

Same with Mahon.
    I believe Paul St is closed however.

• Advertisement

I believe Paul St is closed however.

This was the one I checked.

Advertisement