Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

fin12 wrote: »
    He’s been like that since day one.

Were you there for the birth?!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

fin12 wrote: »
    What r u on about? Your exactly the same n the other couple in ur group....

I'm struggling to decipher what you are trying to say! Try without using text speak if you can...

It's a shame the couple of kids above are constantly dragging this useful thread down. Time to move on I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40211375.html

The dean of Cork and Rector of St. Fin Barre’s has commented that he would be willing to cooperate with the HSE to put the cathedral to use as a vaccination centre.

The same article goes on to quote a spokesperson from the Church of Ireland diocese saying the church itself may not be suitable as it is still in daily use, but other Church of Ireland properties (parish halls etc) may be suitable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Folks, this is my 2nd on thread warning in a couple of days, the next time I intervene it will be to shut the thread down.
    The amount of reported posts for this thread is just ridiculous.
    There is absolutely no excuse for the petty & childish bickering between a small few of you on here.
    Cop on to yourselves, discuss like adults, and dont have me come back in here.

And now ye've made me sound like your mammy, which annoys me even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    61 deaths today :( RIP (58 from January, 3 under investigation re: date)

Forgive my ignorance here, but what does "under investigation" mean? Either the person that died had covid, or they didn't...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RINO87 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance here, but what does "under investigation" mean? Either the person that died had covid, or they didn't...??

I guess someone could have covid but die of something else.

I guess someone could have covid but die of something else.

Ah ok, I thought all the deaths were recorded as with covid, not from covid.

Ah ok, I thought all the deaths were recorded as with covid, not from covid.

I really don't know, I was only suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Means the death was likely reported by the family without specific date of death so they’ve to find out when it was. Or it is a suspected COVID death and they’re awaiting lab results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The date AFAIK
    They need to confirm if they died in January or last year.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks - so is it up to the family to report the death for them to be counted amongst the figures?

Edit: Actually, nevermind - this is all a bit morbid and I'm conscious of the fact that people reading this may have lost someone. I'll leave it there and go read up on it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everyone in Ireland will be offered a COVID-19 vaccine before September, the Health Minister has told the Dáil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Everyone in Ireland will be offered a COVID-19 vaccine before September, the Health Minister has told the Dáil

Offered is completely different to administered.

204 cases in Cork today.
    R0 estimated to be between 0.5 and 0.8 with cases decreasing by 7-8% per day.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Offered is completely different to administered.

I assume the wording is such because vaccination is not mandatory.
    They will never be able to administer to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

204 cases in Cork today.
    R0 estimated to be between 0.5 and 0.8 with cases decreasing by 7-8% per day.

Would be great to keep that rate going

10 days left this month at that rate would be good progress

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Are they testing close contacts that are showing no symptoms again?

Daisy03 wrote: »
    They have begun slowly yes as far as i know

Daisy03 wrote: »

Anecdotally but many close contacts are already getting around that by saying they have a sniffle

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 05/01/2021 to 18/01/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 634 (-116), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1701.1 (-311.3)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 306 (-53), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1364.6 (-236.4)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 470 (-46), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1337.5 (-130.9)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 423 (-42), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1239.9 (-123.1)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 707 (+104), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1676.6 (+246.6)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 671 (+142), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1669.7 (+353.3)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 663 (+39), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1714.6 (+100.8)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 944 (-105), LEA rate per 100k pop: 2206.5 (+245.5)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 821 (+50), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1745 (+106.3)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 513 (+6), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1409.1 (+16.5)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 246 (+13), LEA rate per 100k pop: 986.6 (+52.2)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 388 (+46), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1053.1 (+124.9)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 358 (+14), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1227.8 (+48)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 416 (+52), LEA rate per 100k pop: 915.5 (+114.5)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 443 (+11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 1463 (+36.4)

Won't see the effect of restrictions until the cases from the first week in January filter through so I wouldn't pay too much attention to this with regards to trends.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Would be great to keep that rate going

10 days left this month at that rate would be good progress

It would be marvellous...... hopefully folk keep doing what they are doing ..... Professor Nolan mentions "keeping contacts low in the long term is difficult to sustain" ........ I wonder what he means by longterm ..... weeks? months?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/live-covid-19-ireland-lockdown-23357298

"Keeping contacts low is 'going to be difficult to sustain'
    After congratulating the public on efforts made to reduce social contacts, Professor Nolan warns that suppressing the virus further is going to be a major challenge.

There are two reasons for this, he says: keeping contacts low in the long term is difficult to sustain, and the presence of the new UK variant will complicate the fight against the virus."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Any truth the Army are dealing with a cluster north side?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Army have been in nursing homes in Douglas and Ballincollig for last few weeks, not a surprise if they're assisting in more

Gamb!t wrote: »

I heard they were stopping at checkpoints West Cork as Gardai shortage, out sick with Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I assume the wording is such because vaccination is not mandatory.
    They will never be able to administer to everyone.

Why did he not say administered to all that wish to avail of it in that case? I am sceptical of the HSE been able to vaccinate the entire population less the unwilling in 9 months irrespective of supply issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Augeo wrote: »
    It would be marvellous...... hopefully folk keep doing what they are doing ..... Professor Nolan mentions "keeping contacts low in the long term is difficult to sustain" ........ I wonder what he means by longterm ..... weeks? months?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/live-covid-19-ireland-lockdown-23357298

"Keeping contacts low is 'going to be difficult to sustain'
    After congratulating the public on efforts made to reduce social contacts, Professor Nolan warns that suppressing the virus further is going to be a major challenge.

There are two reasons for this, he says: keeping contacts low in the long term is difficult to sustain, and the presence of the new UK variant will complicate the fight against the virus."

Cant see any easing before the end of March so that's 10 more weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

I heard they were stopping at checkpoints West Cork as Gardai shortage, out sick with Covid

Doubt it because I’m all but certain that wouldn’t be legal in this country. Other than in a state of emergency, the Irish Army can only be deployed in (direct) support of Gardaí. A soldier can’t lawfully stop you, question you, or arrest you. So there would be no point having them man checkpoints without Gardaí also present.

• Advertisement

2075 positive swabs, 8.8% positivity on 23,581 tests

Advertisement