Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

That idea is counter-claimed by the rapidly decreasing positivity rate which reflects the level of disease in the community.

So you reckon testing of close contacts wouldn't result in more positive cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    So you reckon testing of close contacts wouldn't result in more positive cases?
    We're already testing symptomatic close contacts. With average close contacts of 2.1 per case we're missing very very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

That idea is counter-claimed by the rapidly decreasing positivity rate which reflects the level of disease in the community.

Also if you are a close contact and develop any symptoms you get tested. I know a few people who waited a few days after getting pinged basically said they had symptoms to their gp and got referred for a test and all tested negative. So I’d assume a good few close contacts are still getting tested especially when you see 20,000 plus tests daily.
    And to be honest if I’m ever a close contact I’ll be doing the same as a few of colleagues did

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Also if you are a close contact and develop any symptoms you get tested. I know a few people who waited a few days after getting pinged basically said they had symptoms to their gp and got referred for a test and all tested negative. So I’d assume a good few close contacts are still getting tested especially when you see 20,000 plus tests daily.
    And to be honest if I’m ever a close contact I’ll be doing the same as a few of colleagues did
    Yup, GP referral data plateauing plus cases declining suggests a lot of close contacts are approaching GPs for tests

Until all close contacts are being tested there's a huge doubt around the figures IMO. Loads of asymptomatic cases out there that are close contacts ......... they would likely have been tested months back. The sooner we get back to a best as we can track and test set-up again the better.
    We're already testing symptomatic close contacts. With average close contacts of 2.1 per case we're missing very very little.

I know we are testing symptomatic close contacts.
    To be fair you have no idea whatsoever what we're missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

If you follow the data, we are not missing much anymore. If we were testing 20k plus back in late March April last year we’d probably have ended up with similar case counts as we have today.!

As I said, the positivity rate reflects the level of disease in the community. If we're missing lots of cases, it increases. Currently, it is decreasing, rather rapidly.

I think all folk should be very mindful that

"Community Transmission levels remain high. This is where the source of infection is unknown"

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-does-this-weeks-covid-19-data-compare-to-last-weeks-5331406-Jan2021/

Contact tracing is hugely important in the fight against covid, it'll be key to getting us out of L5 restrictions in the short term. Without effective contact tracing and testing we are just waiting for vaccine roll out.

Latest hospital update

CUH - 140, no change. 18 in ICU, increase of 2.
    Mercy - 43, decrease of 1. 6 in ICU, decrease of 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lots of off-topic stuff again. @acitizenerased & @Augeo you two are the worst offenders, knock it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

deise08 wrote: »
    Oh Daisy that's awful.
    My dad got moved to the stroke unit in CUH after having a heart attack also. We're all worried sick about him catching it. Although they are testing him every 3 days.

I hope you dad improves and is safe, take care, it's a huge worry for anyone with relatives in hospitals and care homes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My 86 year old mother spent just over a week in CUH a couple of weeks ago. She received brilliant treatment and help in there by the staff which was important when no visitors allowed. She was tested every few days and made it through without picking up anything so happy about that. It was worrying as you say, but the staff there are great. They even brought her a little birthday cake for her birthday which I only heard about yesterday. Hopefully, he gets through it ok also and the odds are strongly in his favour so try and stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    AIBP meat plant supposedly has an outbreak cluster

that's in Bandon is it?

frank8211 wrote: »
    that's in Bandon is it?
    i swear i recall a cluster there previously but i may be wrong

frank8211 wrote: »
    that's in Bandon is it?

Yes and I thought meat plants are tested regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Yes and I thought meat plants are tested regularly

I know of someone there who has tested positive in the last week. Yes they are tested every 2 weeks.

23 additional deaths and 1,378 new cases today of which 145 are in Cork.

seefin wrote: »
    I know of someone there who has tested positive in the last week. Yes they are tested every 2 weeks.

Is it still open, taking in livestock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nice to see cases continuing decline

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Nice to see cases continuing decline
    indeed almost a 50% decrease compared to last Sunday

• Advertisement

Murphy's Rock closed after staff member tests positive...
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/food-drink/popular-cork-bar-pauses-takeaway-19690112

' "Murphys Rock will close temporarily as of today, Saturday 23rd of January.

"Unfortunately, one of our staff tested positive for Covid 19 and whilst we could have got the Bar professionally sanitised and opened today, the Management has taken the decision to temporarily close the bar for two weeks as a precautionary measure and to give the remaining staff Holidays'

Hopefully any other staff who were close contacts isolate.

Takeaways are a thing I've given up this lock down, I just don't see it as essential and it's something I can easily do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Murphy's Rock closed after staff member tests positive...
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/food-drink/popular-cork-bar-pauses-takeaway-19690112

' "Murphys Rock will close temporarily as of today, Saturday 23rd of January.

"Unfortunately, one of our staff tested positive for Covid 19 and whilst we could have got the Bar professionally sanitised and opened today, the Management has taken the decision to temporarily close the bar for two weeks as a precautionary measure and to give the remaining staff Holidays'

Hopefully any other staff who were close contacts isolate.

Takeaways are a thing I've given up this lock down, I just don't see it as essential and it's something I can easily do without.

If you don't use them they should be closed, hopefully you don't apply that logic to hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

7 day average is 2125 case per day. 10335 less cases this week than last.

Let's keep it going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Sorry, dont know anything other than a friends family member tested positive during routine testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paintinglasses

seefin wrote:
    Sorry, dont know anything other than a friends family member tested positive during routine testing.

There's trucks in and out so I assume its open as usual. There's also a lot of disposable masks hanging in the hedging as you walk towards Bandon, we counted at least 12 in a very very small stretch. I wish they'd encourage proper disposal of masks,very unfair on the homeowners by the meat factory.

If you don't use them they should be closed, hopefully you don't apply that logic to hospitals?

I didn't say they should be closed. I said I don't see it as essential. I don't see where you got the impression I thought takeaways should be closed.

I said I gave them up this lockdown. Like before Christmas restaurants were open but I didn't frequent any if them.

Your hospital comment with respect to my post is ridiculous stuff. Complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Probably even though they should be closed/ They have never been properly taksn to task because the government is afraid to say boo to them fr fear of the IFA

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Are you drinking dettol??

Regarding the meat plants, they're all open I presume. Larry wouldn't accept anything else.

The amount of disposable facemasks disgarded along footpaths is baffling. The amount of them is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mardyke wrote: »
    Are you drinking dettol??

Regarding the meat plants, they're all open I presume. Larry wouldn't accept anything else.

The amount of disposable facemasks disgarded along footpaths is baffling. The amount of them is ridiculous.

Why would I drink dettol? Are you a trump fan?

• Advertisement

There's trucks in and out so I assume its open as usual. There's also a lot of disposable masks hanging in the hedging as you walk towards Bandon, we counted at least 12 in a very very small stretch. I wish they'd encourage proper disposal of masks,very unfair on the homeowners by the meat factory.

I've seen the blue disposable ones thrown by Aldi outside in the ground and left in shopping baskets, some people have no respect and general cop on

Advertisement