Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I've seen the blue disposable ones thrown by Aldi outside in the ground and left in shopping baskets, some people have no respect and general cop on

I saw a bit of a barney outside a supermarket a few weeks back as I was putting away my shopping.
    Turned out a woman, maybe early 20's took off her mask and threw it in the trolley and parked it up. A man who looked late 60's took offence and asked her to remove it and she told him to F off and mind his own business. She was parked with a bollard in front and he stood behind her car and refused to move. She got out screaming at him but he stood firm. After a stand off of about 2 mins she got out went over to the trolley and removed the mask.
    The funniest thing was when he politely thanked her and walked off smiling like he'd won the lotto.
    It was hilarious. Reminded me of something my own dad would do, oul fellas with time on they're hands are stubborn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

.red. wrote: »
    I saw a bit of a barney outside a supermarket a few weeks back as I was putting away my shopping.
    Turned out a woman, maybe early 20's took off her mask and threw it in the trolley and parked it up. A man who looked late 60's took offence and asked her to remove it and she told him to F off and mind his own business. She was parked with a bollard in front and he stood behind her car and refused to move. She got out screaming at him but he stood firm. After a stand off of about 2 mins she got out went over to the trolley and removed the mask.
    The funniest thing was when he politely thanked her and walked off smiling like he'd won the lotto.
    It was hilarious. Reminded me of something my own dad would do, oul fellas with time on they're hands are stubborn out.

Yep, Just ask Conor McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

indeed almost a 50% decrease compared to last Sunday
    Almost 90% not tested!!!!! No close contacts tested. This is how the virus spreads.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's brilliant.
    It sounds like the kind of barny I'd get in but I'd probably end up getting punched by the woman or arrested or run over !
    (not that either of those things have ever happened)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Almost 90% not tested!!!!! No close contacts tested. This is how the virus spreads.:rolleyes:
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

That's the problem at the moment.

Have they resumed testing close contacts?

After the Christmas they weren't even testing some householders with symptoms if there was a positive case in the house.

Mardyke wrote: »

After the Christmas they weren't even testing some householders with symptoms if there was a positive case in the house.
    Yes. Once cases got under 2k asymptomatic close contact testing resumed, that was the plan all along.

Mardyke wrote: »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/health/coronavirus-ireland-23-further-deaths-and-1378-new-covid-19-cases-confirmed-40005375.html

HSE CEO Paul Reid said earlier today that he is “very anxious” for close contact tracing to return but that cases would need to be below 2,000 for a number of days.

... That's from today so I would assume it's true as its a direct quote from Paul Reid.... He doesn't suggest it's resumed. Today is 2nd day below 2000 cases.

14 day average of Cork cases is now 310 compared to 614 this time last week, 50% decrease in cases

Latest hospital update

CUH - 136 in hospital, reduction of 4. 17 in ICU, reduction of 1.
    Mercy - 52 in hospital, increase of 9. 7 in ICU, increase of 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Latest hospital update

CUH - 136 in hospital, reduction of 4. 17 in ICU, reduction of 1.
    Mercy - 52 in hospital, increase of 9. 7 in ICU, increase of 1.

Increase of 9 is interesting, could there be an outbreak in the Mercy?

Increase of 9 is interesting, could there be an outbreak in the Mercy?
    0 positive tests in Mercy today so nope, admissions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

.red. wrote: »

Good on Him

I was under the impression that if you were a close contact even without symptoms you needed to be tested :o:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was under the impression that if you were a close contact even without symptoms you needed to be tested :o:confused:

That was before the meaningful Christmas surge. Since January, they haven't had the capacity to test both symptomatic and asymptomatic people. They said if they can get daily case numbers down <2000 consistently, then they'll start testing all close contacts again so hopefully that will be soon, the way things are looking.

Jan 18th update to previous similar message that first came out on 01Jan iirc.......

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/close-contact-and-casual-contact.html

We are at full capacity for COVID-19 tests and need to prioritise people who have symptoms. Close contacts will not be tested during this time. If you are a close contact you need to restrict your movements (stay at home), even if you feel well. If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone your GP for further advice.

I expect HSE to announce a change imminently - we're 7/8k under-testing.

Yes, On Saturday ...... HSE CEO Paul Reid said that he is “very anxious” for close contact tracing to return but that cases would need to be below 2,000 for a number of days ....... we have 2 under 2000 days in a row now.

Someone in here claims it's being done already but Paul Reid doesn't seem to know that or else he's not saying things as they are.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yes, On Saturday ...... HSE CEO Paul Reid said that he is “very anxious” for close contact tracing to return but that cases would need to be below 2,000 for a number of days ....... we have 2 under 2000 days in a row now.
    Haven't crossed 25k in 10 days. We have capacity for circa 31k. No excuse for not testing.

Yes, that's all well and good......... I'm not in a position to influence testing strategy.
    I thought you reckoned not testing close contacts wasn't an issue as we are missing very, very little?
    I'm struggling to see how that view correlates with there being now "no excuse for not testing"?

We're already testing symptomatic close contacts. With average close contacts of 2.1 per case we're missing very very little.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Yes, that's all well and good......... I'm not in a position to influence testing strategy.
    I thought you reckoned not testing close contacts wasn't an issue as we are missing very, very little?
    I'm struggling to see how that view correlates with there being now "no excuse for not testing"?
    I'm not getting into this with you because I'll be shouted at by a mod again, you know very well what the answer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

So is a close contact only tested if they have symptoms? If u don’t have symptoms told to self isolate for 2 weeks but no test? Is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

fin12 wrote: »
    So is a close contact only tested if they have symptoms? If u don’t have symptoms told to self isolate for 2 weeks but no test? Is that correct?

Tbh I've never been sure as I was a close contact last Summer but as I'd no symptoms my own GP said (when I phoned) to just self isolate for two weeks which I did. Some other friends in the same situation were sent for tests (two of them for two tests) whereas one person (again symptom-free) was told to carry on as normal by their GP as they were probably fine! Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

opus wrote: »
    Tbh I've never been sure as I was a close contact last Summer but as I'd no symptoms my own GP said (when I phoned) to just self isolate for two weeks which I did. Some other friends in the same situation were sent for tests (two of them for two tests) whereas one person (again symptom-free) was told to carry on as normal by their GP as they were probably fine! Go figure.

When I was a close contact I got a call from the contact tracing and they just set the two tests up for me, happened twice. Changed now though. Nothing to do with the GP and didn't even have to contact them.

fin12 wrote: »

Yes, that is the case since 01Jan21.
    However even with symptoms you might not be referred for a test......... "If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone your GP for further advice" Depends what the GP reckons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

FWIW, HSE CEO is saying he wants to get back testing close contacts provided we stay below 2k cases a day for this week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-hse-anxious-to-resume-testing-contacts-as-ministers-consider-new-travel-rules-and-level-5-extension-1.4467181

Good numbers today. Big reduction in positivity rate even with 14000 tests.
    1084 positive swabs, 7.28% positivity on 14,883 tests.
    - Monday, January 25th 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The test centre on the South Douglas Road was closed when I passed around 1pm on Saturday . It was open the previous few Saturdays. So I guess when they say they are at full capacity, they mean full "scaled back" capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ludo wrote: »
    The test centre on the South Douglas Road was closed when I passed around 1pm on Saturday . It was open the previous few Saturdays. So I guess when they say they are at full capacity, they mean full "scaled back" capacity.
    Might be scaled back in taking swabs but flat out in the lab.

• Advertisement

I see CUH was looking for more staff as in nurses, what happened all who returned to answer Ireland's call up to fight the pandemic

Advertisement