Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Was looking at some of the vaccination data sites, and noticed that while some countries like Ireland and Denmark are among the highest in E.U. in terms of total vaccination rate per 100 people (or per capita, if you like); both countries' per-day vaccination rates are high but dropping.

I wonder why that'd be? Could it be that the countries fastest off the mark in deploying the vaccine are running out of their immediate allocations? Or perhaps there could be a pause/lull when moving between allocating different groups, due to organisation/administration required? (e.g. pre-existing conditions -> elderly in care homes -> frontline workers -> elderly in general population etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

who_me wrote: »
    Was looking at some of the vaccination data sites, and noticed that while some countries like Ireland and Denmark are among the highest in E.U. in terms of total vaccination rate per 100 people (or per capita, if you like); both countries' per-day vaccination rates are high but dropping.

I wonder why that'd be? Could it be that the countries fastest off the mark in deploying the vaccine are running out of their immediate allocations? Or perhaps there could be a pause/lull when moving between allocating different groups, due to organisation/administration required? (e.g. pre-existing conditions -> elderly in care homes -> frontline workers -> elderly in general population etc.)
    Pfizer allocation has slowed for one week then will accelerate dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Yes. Once cases got under 2k asymptomatic close contact testing resumed, that was the plan all along.

Please stop making stuff up. Stop posting if you are not sure.

Thanks Augeo for the link. As suspects, close contacts probably not being tested still.

164 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

164 cases in Cork today

Ah Jaysus ACE your making that up...........

• Advertisement

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus ACE your making that up...........

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

fin12 wrote: »
    So is a close contact only tested if they have symptoms? If u don’t have symptoms told to self isolate for 2 weeks but no test? Is that correct?

Yes. My son and I are close contacts living in the same house as someone who tested positive and no tests for us unless we develop symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

As noted earlier in this thread, there is a confirmed outbreak at a meat plant.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40214033.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    SIXTY-SIX cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed among staff at a meat plant in Bandon.

The ABP plant in Kilbrogan is now running at a reduced capacity. There are approximately 300 staff employed at the plant.

A spokesperson for the company said the detections were made during screening of staff at the plant last week.

This is in addition to an outbreak in Co Wexford, with 42 cases connected to it so far: https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0125/1191969-wexford-meat-plant-covid/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

happyday wrote: »
    Yes. My son and I are close contacts living in the same house as someone who tested positive and no tests for us unless we develop symptoms.

I'd nearly lie about symptoms to get tested, ye both should be tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd nearly lie about symptoms to get tested, ye both should be tested

The test is pretty uncomfortable as people have told me who have had it so if I’d no symptoms I’d be happy to self isolate and no test. That’s just my opinion. I’m hoping I never have to go for a test.

• Advertisement

Hospital Update
    National 1803 - down from 1930 yesterday

CUH - 124 in hospital, down from 136. 19 in ICU, increase of 2.
    Mercy - 53 in hospital, up 1 from 52. 7 in ICU, no change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

The test is pretty uncomfortable as people have told me who have had it so if I’d no symptoms I’d be happy to self isolate and no test. That’s just my opinion. I’m hoping I never have to go for a test.

It really isn't. Have had it done twice and found it ok. Your eyes might water a little. Please don't worry about it!

ro_chez wrote: »
    Interesting to see that both meat companies with Covid outbreaks announced today have released the same statement word for word about the matter

Are they linked in some way?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40214033.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ABP Kilbrogan statement-
    “Staff safety and public health is our priority and ABP will continue to work with the HSE in relation to the matter.”

She added: “Since the advent of Covid-19 ABP has introduced a range of industry leading protection measures as part of a company-wide initiative. These include limiting site access to essential personnel, temperature checks at the entry to the site, staggered break times, perspex partitions where appropriate, social distancing measures in canteens and all other communal spaces as well as detailed protocols for colleagues who display any symptoms.

“We are continually evolving and improving the measures to ensure safety at all our sites.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-42-confirmed-cases-at-wexford-meat-plant-1.4467567

Slaney Foods statement-
    “Staff safety and public health is our priority and Slaney Foods will continue to work with the HSE in relation to the matter,” the company said in a statement on Monday evening.

“Since the advent of Covid-19 Slaney Foods has introduced a range of industry leading protection measures as part of an industry-wide initiative. These include limiting site access to essential personnel, temperature checks at the entry to the site, staggered break times, Perspex partitions where appropriate, social distancing measures in canteens and all other communal spaces as well as detailed protocols for colleagues who display any symptoms.

“We are continually evolving and improving the measures to ensure safety at all our sites.”
    Good spot, that is very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's really nowhere near uncomfortable enough to worry about, or avoid... it's a brief few seconds of mild discomfort, and that's it. Nothin' to fear :)

Yes, many, nursing home residents were tested..its not tortuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Feeling down in the dumps after watching Claire Byrne tonight, so I thought I'd come on here and rant. I live in the Togher area and it's so frustrating to hear what I think are teenagers going around at night in large groups. Why don't the Gardaí send them home? It's so unfair that they are out at all hours, mixing with each other and probably bringing covid home to their parents, who in turn bring it in to work, etc... A friend of mine in Wilton was woken by a huge group of students (she thinks) last night outside her apartment roaring and shouting! Cork has lost the run of itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really wish that people who haven't had a test would stop going around telling people that it is uncomfortable. It really isn't helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The test isn't really all that bad. I had a fear of getting the test done as well, and all I could do was close my eyes, I didn't want to see the swab. Not sure if they all explain the procedure but they did with me with my eyes closed. They counted 5 seconds up the nose. Knowing what I know about covid, if getting a test and isolating is the worst that happens to me, I'll take it.

I had it done and found it fast and not uncomfortable

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It stings or tickles just a little bit at the top of the nose, like when you get water sniffed up there. The swab is so skinny, I didn't even feel it going in.

Not sore. I've had far more uncomfortable things done to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sister popcorn is in UAE and they regularly get tested.
    In generally she finds it okay but it depends on who’s doing it. There was one person and they used always dread her doing it because she was very rough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Slaney Foods is 50% owned by the owner of ABP. Perhaps they have a shared PR department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I really wish that people who haven't had a test would stop going around telling people that it is uncomfortable. It really isn't helpful.

Agree. I was tested yesterday on admission to hospital. It took 30 seconds from start to finish. People really need to cop on and stop scaring others off being tested. Mine was negative btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

When I was a close contact I got a call from the contact tracing and they just set the two tests up for me, happened twice. Changed now though. Nothing to do with the GP and didn't even have to contact them.

Guess my experience was a bit strange in that the person who got the positive diagnosis got it in a different county having left Ireland after we'd all be in contact with them. Hence why we were left to our devices with calling the GP.

Perhaps they use the same spin doctor company?

Of the people I know who've had tests only one described it as being uncomfortable so not something I'd be too concerned about. Of course I'm hoping & trying hard not to have to get tested at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The test, while it clearly isn't the most comfortable thing, isn't too bad. Throat part is fine and then up the nostril for anywhere from 5-10 seconds depending on the administrator, each of my 4 were different with the last one the most uncomfortable, but even then it lasted for about 2 minutes afterwards and was finished. Nothing to worry about at all, and in the end you are protecting yourself and others!

A good thing, or what helped me anyway, was tapping my leg and trying to do math problems in my head, really made me focus elsewhere and helped me a lot anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

marno21 wrote: »
    Slaney Foods is 50% owned by the owner of ABP. Perhaps they have a shared PR department

Possible interactions of staff or deliveries etc between the two factories infected the second one so

Taoiseach confirmed this morning lockdown will extend until March 5.

Says measures are working and adherence high but “overriding objective is to alleviate pressure on our hospitals and our intensive care units” - though there will still be significant hosp numbers by end-Feb

Source Gavan Reilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Taoiseach confirmed this morning lockdown will extend until March 5.

Says measures are working and adherence high but “overriding objective is to alleviate pressure on our hospitals and our intensive care units” - though there will still be significant hosp numbers by end-Feb

Source Gavan Reilly

It's still not clear, we had level 5 with construction and schools open so both of those can happen sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Family member just received the Vaccine from Pfizer in Ringaskiddy. Said it was a very smooth process and worked like clockwork, in, given vaccine, date for next appointment, out. Wonder how it will compare to when mass vaccinations begin in the public system

• Advertisement

Finally under the 1k mark today
    953 positive swabs, 5.77% positivity on 16,520 tests.
    - Tuesday, January 26th 2021

Advertisement