Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

Family member just received the Vaccine from Pfizer in Ringaskiddy. Said it was a very smooth process and worked like clockwork, in, given vaccine, date for next appointment, out. Wonder how it will compare to when mass vaccinations begin in the public system

On another Pfizer Ireland site when you book your initial appointment you also book the second one. PPS number recorded etc etc ...... very slick. Any folk they need on site being vaccinated, not just staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

do they do the vaccinations for the pfizer workers onsite or is it some clinic do partners of the workers get it aswell

On-site, folk essential to their operations ......... no partners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

115 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sad to see high deaths again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

90 Deaths

928 Cases

257 in Dublin, 115 in Cork, 71 in Louth, 53 in Galway, 45 in Limerick and the remaining 387 cases are spread across all other counties

Bit of a bizarre and unfortunate story from one of our friends who works in a nursing home in the city. Got the first vaccine dose about 14 days ago. Felt sick last Thursday and tested positive Saturday. Her husband tested as a contact Monday and positive today.
    Now that's unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Bit of a bizarre and unfortunate story from one of our friends who works in a nursing home in the city. Got the first vaccine dose about 14 days ago. Felt sick last Thursday and tested positive Saturday. Her husband tested as a contact Monday and positive today.
    Now that's unlucky.

Does that mean by the time she’s clear of Covid the first jab will be gone from her system d
    So will need 2 doses again?

Assuming she hasn’t any complications from Covid

Does that mean by the time she’s clear of Covid the first jab will be gone from her system d
    So will need 2 doses again?

Assuming she hasn’t any complications from Covid
    No idea how its gonna work to be honest she said she's still down for the second jab soon

Now that's unlucky.

I hope they both recover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No idea how its gonna work to be honest she said she's still down for the second jab soon

From what I've been told if you have Covid there is at least 5 weeks after you recover before getting a vaccine. Then again after infection you should have immunity for at least 3/4 months.

Hospital Update

National - 1689 in hospital, reduction of 114
    CUH - 112, reduction of 12. 16 in ICU, reduction of 3.
    Mercy - 51, reduction of 2. 7 in ICU, no change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's still not clear, we had level 5 with construction and schools open so both of those can happen sooner?

Lots of local construction still happening, site close to me for houses and apartments in full swing and no social housing onsite.

1668 positive swabs, 7.45% positivity on 22,387 tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Lots of local construction still happening, site close to me for houses and apartments in full swing and no social housing onsite.

If you’re “nearly finished” you are allowed to continue. Loophole that was obviously going to be exploited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    If you’re “nearly finished” you are allowed to continue. Loophole that was obviously going to be exploited.

They were digging foundations on the site behind my house this morning.
    One lad in a jcb, another in a tipper truck. No real reason they shouldn't be there, just maybe start work a little later so I don't get woken at 0800.

114 cases in Cork today

54 Deaths
    1,335 Cases
    437 in Dublin, 114 in Cork, 78 in Galway, 71 in Meath, 61 in Louth and the remaining 574 cases are spread across all other counties

.red. wrote: »
    They were digging foundations on the site behind my house this morning.
    One lad in a jcb, another in a tipper truck. No real reason they shouldn't be there, just maybe start work a little later so I don't get woken at 0800.

Oh agree with ya, 100%. The situation next to you is pretty safe and I’d prefer them to be working than getting the PUP. Better for the site owner too, not getting delayed by months.

Was just pointing out that part of the restrictions allows people to take the piss. It’s impossible to legislate for every eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Close contact testing hasn't started again, it seems. Therfore, you can probably double or treble the case numbers to get the real number.

Still very high for a supposed Level 5. The problem is its not a Level 5 at all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mardyke wrote: »
    Close contact testing hasn't started again, it seems. Therfore, you can probably double or treble the case numbers to get the real number.

Still very high for a supposed Level 5. The problem is its not a Level 5 at all really.

Ah here.

You can probably add 30% (about 300 cases) to the daily case number. Not 200 - 300%. Also the case numbers for the past few weeks have all been without close contact testing so the trend is valid. Things are going just as well as any lockdown we've had in the past, don't see the need for anything stricter. There's probably a sweet spot for achieving public compliance with the important rules (no indoor socializing). Stupid **** like 2km exercise limits and the like are just counter-productive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Douglas Road testing centre is closed when I pass it. If they can afford to close a testing centre, whilst not testing close contacts because of capacity issues it's a bit strange.

Ah would ya stop, the positivity rate would be through the roof if that was the case

Close contacts is 2 per person?
    So 228 more people should have been tested, based on 114 cases in Cork. The positivity rate for those 228 would have to be 100%, for our case numbers to treble.

I agree we should start testing them again. Be interesting to see how much of a jump when we do.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Douglas Road testing centre is closed when I pass it. If they can afford to close a testing centre, whilst not testing close contacts because of capacity issues it's a bit strange.

Ya & if we have capacity in Cork we should start testing again, regardless of other counties having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jim Gazebo wrote: »

Perhaps it's a staffing issue?
    Lots of health care workers are out sick and /or isolating.

Close contact testing hasn't started again,.........

It's been stated in here several times that close contact tracing has resumed. It's very confusing truth be told as Paul Reid said it might resume sometime this week after a few days of under 2000 cases/day.

Tony Holohan said yesterday "“The risk of transmission in the community remains very high. We must continue to work towards reducing incidence of disease and preventing further hospitalisations and deaths.”
    https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-26-january-5335799-Jan2021/

Very high community transmission would suggest they do need to get back to testing all close contacts asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Augeo wrote: »
    It's been stated in here several times that close contact tracing has resumed. It's very confusing truth be told as Paul Reid said it might resume sometime this week after a few days of under 2000 cases/day.

Tony Holohan said yesterday "“The risk of transmission in the community remains very high. We must continue to work towards reducing incidence of disease and preventing further hospitalisations and deaths.”
    https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-26-january-5335799-Jan2021/

Very high community transmission would suggest they do need to get back to testing all close contacts asap.

Are you sure about that because the journal reported yesterday a HSE spokesperson as saying it hadn’t.

jrnl.ie/5337288

jackrussel wrote: »
    Are you sure about that because the journal reported yesterday a HSE spokesperson as saying it hadn’t.

jrnl.ie/5337288

I'm sure folk in here said it had resumed and I'm sure Paul Reid said what he said :)

I myself have consistently mentioned it wasn't being done since 01jan21.

And high community transmission suggests plenty cases are being missed by not testing close contacts.

• Advertisement

Some of my posts mentioning we are not testing close contacts........

Yes, On Saturday ...... HSE CEO Paul Reid said that he is “very anxious” for close contact tracing to return but that cases would need to be below 2,000 for a number of days ....... we have 2 under 2000 days in a row now.

Someone in here claims it's being done already but Paul Reid doesn't seem to know that or else he's not saying things as they are.
    Yes, that is the case since 01Jan21.
    However even with symptoms you might not be referred for a test......... "If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 self-isolate (stay in your room) and phone your GP for further advice" Depends what the GP reckons.
    Until all close contacts are being tested there's a huge doubt around the figures IMO. Loads of asymptomatic cases out there that are close contacts ......... they would likely have been tested months back. The sooner we get back to a best as we can track and test set-up again the better.
    Also those numbers are extrapulated from the current positive cases which dont include loads of close contacts.
    ................ don't forget most close contacts aren't being tested.

Advertisement